Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

History of Specialized ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

History of Specialized ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-23, 03:33 PM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
[QUOTE=Portlandjim;22984372]
Originally Posted by rustystrings61

My comments about these questions:

1) "There are extensive discussions out there online of various iterations of Specialized bikes and their history. When Mike Sinyard initially set out to sell framesets and bikes, he enlisted Tim Neenan of Lighthouse Cycles after having had a custom touring frame built for him."

I met Mike Sinyard when he first started selling parts out of his bicycle trailer in 1974, I was one of his first customers. I became good friends with Mike, and did testing for him, tires for instance. I would go to the Bay area from time to time, and always stopped by to visit Mike. One time, Mike mentioned that he had a bike I should look, and invited me down. It was one of the first batch of Tom Ritchey built "Mountainbikes", I'm not positive on the date, but around 1980. I spent the day riding it, liked it and went back to Portland and built my version of this type of bike. During this period, I was pushing Mike to hire me, he clearly needs someone to be in charge of technical details at Specialized. We talked about this for a while, and then it turned out that he hired Tim Neenan! The excuse was that Tim already lived in the San Jose area, so Mike didn't need to pay for my moving costs! Anyway, I went on building Merz bikes in Portland. Tim did design the first versions of the Sequoia and Allez frames. I don't know the exact details of how much Tim was visiting Japan, but the Stumpjumper bike was certainly closely based on the bike Tom Ritchey built. If it were me, I would have pushed to make a frame more based on my Merz MTB design. The 2nd version Stumpjumper was my design, in fact Mike had me make 3 prototype frames while I was still in Portland that became the 2nd version Stumpjumper. It turned out that Tim Neenan wanted to move to San Louis Obisbo, Mike didn't want anything but total commitment from Tim. So, he called me up and asked when I could take over the job. I said I could start tomorrow. That week I left from PDX and flew to Japan. The start of a 10 year long whirlwind life in the bicycle industry at the highest level.

2) The story I read is that the Expedition was based on that custom frame.

Tim has claimed that he designed the Expedition bicycle. That bike may have been something that he started working on while he was at Specialized, but if so, I designed what became the first production version of the Expedition. It was based on my Merz touring bike frames. When I saw that Tim was claiming this bike was his design, I asked Mike if that was so. He confirmed that I designed it.

3) Neenan also designed the original Sequoia and Allez frames.The earliest of the latter model were built by Yoshi Konno of 3Rensho and are very much sought-after; allegedly a small number of Sequoias were also built by Mr. Konno.

Yoshi didn't supply the first Allez frame, it was Toei. The first Sequoia frame was built at 3Rensho, it has fast back seat stays.

4) Production realities led to contracts with Miyata and other high-quality Japanese makers.

3Rensho built the later top model Allez frames up until about 1987. The Allez SE bikes, which was a lower price point full bicycle, was built by Miyata. The Expedition bike was built by Miyata also. The 2nd version Sequoia frames and bikes were built by Miki.

5) Neenan is also credited with designing the original Stumpjumper. There are some who contend he borrowed heavily from the design of Tom Ritchey, but it IS fair to say he went to Japan and worked out how to mass-produce a mountain bike. This was probably the bike that catapulted the company forward and was their highest profile item.

The 1st Stumpjumper was a bike hit in the market. It's controversial whether Tim, or Mike "designed" very much of the 1st Stumpjumper bike. I would say that the first 2 runs of this bike were not mass produced at all. They were sold as a kit, every part needed to be assembled by the dealer including the wheels IIRC. The other detail, there were not that many of them made. They did sell like hot cakes, so it proved that there was a large market for MTB's. But, Specialized was not some tiny company at that point. Mike was the largest Campagnolo distributor in the world, and the largest bicycle tire company. When I first traveled to Japan and Europe, all the bike companies treated us like gods!

6) Neenan's designs would later be refined and modified by Jim Merz (who is around on this forum as @Portlandjim) and later by Mark DiNucci.

I did not refine Tim's designs. I started with new frame designs based on my ideas. I also came up with all the components that Specialize had made. We never used product that was just stamped with our logo.

7) Frame production shifted to Taiwan at some point in the '80s, and in interviews it has been observed that Specialized personnel personally oversaw some of the processes to sweat the details.

I pushed to move production for some of the lower price point MTB bikes to Taiwan around 1985. At that time, the Yen/Dollar exchage rate was becoming a problem for sourcing bicycles from Japan. I worked with Giant at first. I belive that the Hardrock was our lowest price point model, and they had never made any bike at that high of a price point! I spent a lot of time getting them up to a higher lever. At the time, Schwinn was using them for a low end road bike. But, Schwinn was not helping Giant learn how to make better bikes. This is when I hired Mark DiNucci to work for Specialize, we both worked with Giant to up their game. In fact, their first carbon fiber bike was made for Specialized. Mark and I had a lot to do with that bike, and it was a big success.

8) The 1987-1989 Sirrus uses the same Giant-built-in-Taiwan frameset as the Allez of those years, but with somewhat softer paint and Shimano 105 rather than 600 components. My '88 Sirrus was a revelation - it is absolutely one of the very best riding bikes I have ever had under me, and only the presence in my stable of a Neenan-built Lighthouse with near identical geometry but clearance for larger tires has be considering selling it.

I was not in charge of lower price point bike models during the later time period you mention. If Giant made an Allez, it for sure would not have used the same frame as the Sirrus. In any case, Mark DiNucci took over the frame design duty when I left Specialized aroung 1990 or so.

​Specialized contracted with various world class suppliers throughout the years, but has almost always designed the product. And did the best internal testing in the industry. This is a model similar to Nike. Some items were made in the USA, water bottles for example. It doesn't make sense to ship cargo containers filled with water bottles across the ocean. The Epic carbon MTB frames were made in Morgan Hill. Also M2 MTB frames were made in the USA. But, time seems to have confirmed that the best value to the rider comes from sourcing products from the best manufacturers.

Specialized Bicycle sells some of the best bicycles in the world. The company philosophy, which I had a large hand in developing, is still in place. I am very proud of my work there.

These comments are my personal opinon, I try to be accurate but due to old age my brain has faded somewhat!

Jim Merz
Incredible history lesson here. Thanks Jim!
Old 08-14-23, 04:00 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 94 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your recollections of the company history with us, Jim! I'm still enjoying my "Stumpy"!
Old 08-14-23, 06:53 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 175 Posts
Biopace rings, can't be many of those left!

During that general era I bought a Fisher Japan-sourced bike that came with Biopace. Eventually wore them out, replaced with round rings then wondered what took me so long. :-)

Do have a '90s vintage Specialized S-Works Pro mountain bike with a frame made in the States. Has their peculiar aluminum-ceramic tubeset and is surprisingly light even by today's standards.

Cheers,
Rick
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 08-15-23, 06:46 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1,850 Times in 679 Posts
what year is that stump jumper? Looks like mine except orange instead of Turkoise.
Old 08-15-23, 07:16 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 492 Posts
This needs to be put in a book or something…
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 08-15-23, 08:14 AM
JoeBass

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
what year is that stump jumper? Looks like mine except orange instead of Turkoise.
Hey, Rob!
I believe it’s a 1987, in “DiNucci green”. Perfect for next year’s Cino.
Likes For JoeBass:
Old 08-15-23, 08:22 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeBass
Hey, Rob!
I believe it’s a 1987, in “DiNucci green”. Perfect for next year’s Cino.
Agree! A rigid MTB would be a good Cino chariot !
Likes For AngryScientist:
Old 08-15-23, 09:54 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by mountaindave
This needs to be put in a book or something…
Agreed.
Old 08-15-23, 10:36 AM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 133 Posts
Specialized produced the first good mountain bike tire, the Stumpjumper tire, in 1981. They didn't even have a publicity still, so the house artist for my magazine Fat Tire Flyer drew one for their ad.

At MountainBikes, Gary Fisher and I bought those tires by the truckload. Then one day we got a call from Mike Sinyard, he wanted to buy four of our bikes. He was a big supplier, so he got them

Six months later the reverse engineered version of the Ritchey/MountainBike hit the market as the Stumpjumper. This is the bike that "made" Specialized.
Old 08-15-23, 11:02 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,838 Times in 1,546 Posts
this may be of interest https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2001...ialized-bikes/

Old 08-15-23, 01:07 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
In my (not-at-all-expert) opinion, this was Specialized's most important innovation. In the 80's Specialized employed some of the best frame builders in the U.S. They were certainly more than capable of producing frames that would have been among the best in the world, but they wouldn't have been able to produce those frames in large volume. The genius of Specialized was to send their experts to Japanese factories to develop a process for scaling production of these frames. Only the few who were involved really know how much the craftsmen at these Japanese factories had to be taught, but the oral history of the company says that the Specialized people from the U.S. spent months there overseeing production.
Not sure if I follow. By the 1971/2-point in the bike boom, US LBSs were selling all the Japanese bikes they could get their hands on under a kaleidoscope of private labels.
Old 08-15-23, 02:13 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,873 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Not sure if I follow. By the 1971/2-point in the bike boom, US LBSs were selling all the Japanese bikes they could get their hands on under a kaleidoscope of private labels.
Perhaps I was overstating things in calling this an innovation. Maybe I'm even wrong entirely. I'll try to expand on what I was thinking.

In part, it's entirely possible that I'm still buying into illusions created by 40-year old marketing. Some of this may have to do with the fact that my experience with brands like Nishiki, Takara, and Centurion are almost entirely with their lower-level models. Whatever the reason, my perception is that bikes from those brands are what I would call commodity goods, whereas the bikes from Specialized, at least the Sequoia, Allez, Expedition, and StumpJumper strike me as premium quality bikes. Without a doubt, it only took a few years for Specialized to start offering more commonplace bikes, but their top-of-the-line bikes are as good as anything I've ridden from the time.

So, where does this perception come from? Sure, part of it is successful marketing. No doubt they also benefitted from getting into the game at a time when the Japanese manufacturers had significantly improved their processes and materials as compared to what they were doing in the ealy 70's. I think there's more to it than that though.

The question often comes up on this forum, what sets a master frame builder's work product apart from the common mass-produced bike? Frame builders themselves typically say that it's their knowledge and experience. This is manifest in things like their selection of tubing, the pairing of geometry to intended use, construction technique, and, of course, attention to detail. This is what I think Specialized did that sets them apart from the post-bike boom importers -- they employed some of the best frame builders in the country and successfully applied their knowledge and experience to manufacturing of bicyle frame in Japan and later Taiwan.

Maybe Specialized wasn't the first company to offer bikes at the highest level of quality that were manufactured in Japan, but I can't think of a company that did it better.
Old 08-15-23, 06:50 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2499 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,688 Posts
A sizable proportion of the Japanese bikes sold during the early-1970's bike boom were only maybe a step above the Murrays and Huffys and the like sold in department stores, Western Auto, etc. Gas pipe tubing, crude squarely cut off lugs, and identical top tube and down tube lengths for all frame sizes.

That said, at least Fuji (and probably some other manufacturers) seems to have had a handle on building sophisticated light-weight frames by the mid-to-late '70s.
Old 08-15-23, 10:13 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
.... my experience with brands like Nishiki, Takara, and Centurion are almost entirely with their lower-level models. Whatever the reason, my perception is that bikes from those brands are what I would call commodity goods, whereas the bikes from Specialized, at least the Sequoia, Allez, Expedition, and StumpJumper strike me as premium quality bikes.
Apples and oranges. What if you compared an Ironman Master, a Miyata One Thousand or Nishiki Cresta GT with a Sirrus? Or a Univega Activa Comp to a HardRock Sport? Granted, Specialized had fewer "entry level" models than the "native" Japanese brands. But at/toward the high end, it's a fair fight.
Old 08-16-23, 12:00 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,873 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Apples and oranges. What if you compared an Ironman Master, a Miyata One Thousand or Nishiki Cresta GT with a Sirrus? Or a Univega Activa Comp to a HardRock Sport? Granted, Specialized had fewer "entry level" models than the "native" Japanese brands. But at/toward the high end, it's a fair fight.
Yeah, that's why I made the disclaimers that I did.
Old 08-16-23, 03:48 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Direct from Specialized :https://www.sicklines.com/news-image..._media_kit.pdf

I remember riding their Turbo tires in the late 70's/early 80's. My sister bought one them there fancy newfangled "Stumpjumper" things in 1981, for which I followed with a 1983 Sport model. Frankly, the concept of having a full sized offroad bike was more attractive than the actual ride and handling of the frames. Not real great. I get people have a romance with such things, I do not, there was nothing "special" about them aside from the newness factor. I couldn't wait to rid myself of it, of which I eventually did in 2011 when I bought a used Rivendell Bombadil. It was everything I wish the Stumpie could have been and more.

Turbo tires, both the Touring and Racing versions were good tires as I recall. Never an issue with those. Their cartridge bearing hubs are excellent, I have 3 sets and let one go with the Stumpie. I still ride a set of them today, with original bearings no less. Pop off the seal and regrease, they just go. I did replace the bearings on the wheels of the Stumpie, but now realize it was done so needlessly. I fooled myself into believing they needed replaced, for "fill in the blank" reasons. All a bunch of nonsense. Most "maintenance schedules" are nonsense. I've broken more perfectly good things trying to "maintain" them according to some arbitrary schedule or senseless sense than have ever broken/failed on their own.

This too, just another story .... like Dust in the Wind......
Old 08-16-23, 07:29 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
I have to admit, the Specialized red is imo iconic. I just picked up the Rockhopper, well because it was cheap, hardnose, and it's red! Neglected oxidized to crusty sun faded orange, I polished the poop out of it, literally. Originally 3x7 twist grip shift, try saying that 3 times fast lol.

Last Sunday I put a new 8 speed hub on the rear. I put the Satori riser just need some new tires a chain. White cables will be installed.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-16-23, 08:44 AM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts
What made Specialized different than other bikes?

Perhaps I was overstating things in calling this an innovation. Maybe I'm even wrong entirely. I'll try to expand on what I was thinking.

The question often comes up on this forum, what sets a master frame builder's work product apart from the common mass-produced bike? Frame builders themselves typically say that it's their knowledge and experience. This is manifest in things like their selection of tubing, the pairing of geometry to intended use, construction technique, and, of course, attention to detail. This is what I think Specialized did that sets them apart from the post-bike boom importers -- they employed some of the best frame builders in the country and successfully applied their knowledge and experience to manufacturing of bicyle frame in Japan and later Taiwan.

Maybe Specialized wasn't the first company to offer bikes at the highest level of quality that were manufactured in Japan, but I can't think of a company that did it better.
What set Specialized apart from just being another USA based importer of bicycles, not just cookie cutter Japan made bikes? Mike Sinyard. He started out being a bike ​enthusiast and still is! ​Not very common in the bike industry. I learned how to make world class bicycles during my custom Merz Mfg. days. However, I realized that my marketing skills were lacking. Plus I am poor at business and risk averse. During my frame building days, I was close ​friends with Mike Sinyard ​and I saw that working with him would be ideal. It would allow my bicycle knowledge combined with his marketing and money raising skills could kick ass in the bicycle industry. Another factor was both of us had cultivated contacts inside of the bike industry, both in Europe but more importantly in Japan. The bike companies in Japan during the early 1980's were capable of making very high quality products, and the exchange rate meant that the value was high​ compared to Europe at the time. ​But they didn't know how to design ​product for the market. When Mike hired Tim Neenan in 1981, instead of me, he made a mistake. Luckily for me, and the company, this didn't last very long. There was nothing else like Specialized Bicycles happening at that time. Schwinn was the top dog of USA bike companies, but being based in Chicago and run by non bicycle enthusiasts meant they were not in the hunt. Trek was just starting, but ​i​t's not located in a bicycle hotspot. Although Tim Issac was the closest to what I was doing at Specialized. What Mike Sinyard did was create a lean, mean team. Located in the right place at the right time. My technical vision, based on thinking outside of the box and searching for new materials and real testing, was ​unique. The only other bicycle company​ (IMHO) with this vision in those days was Shimano. The other manufacturing companies in Japan saw that we were their key to entry to the USA bike market. The growth was crazy, and the risks were also. But Mike held it all together, and created a team. One seemingly small detail was the company name. It seems sort of generic, but it does describe the team. I, along with most creative types, have oversize egos. It is common for creative types to crave being in the limelight. Not having someone's name on the down tube helps with avoiding ego issues within the team. The downside, which I realized at the time and agreed to, was that the end customers don't know the people behind the curtain. Let's mention Charlie's comment about the first stumpjumper. I was not involved with that bike. If that Ritchey built bike was so revolutionary, why didn't ​G​ary Fisher do what Sinyard did? Take it to the general market​ by having it made in Japan? There are no patentable features on the bike, so timing to market becomes the ​c​ritical feature. Mike took ​a​ large risk to do this, and it turns out it worked. Gary Fisher could have done the same thing​, assuming he had the capital and marketing team in place. ​But if it flopped then he would have been ​b​roke. Yes, the 1st Stumpjumper showed that there was a market for MTB, but it did not "make the company". What happened next made the company. Laser focus on what real bike riders wanted at a price that hit the sweet spot. The company still does this, even though it's a worldwide company with $Billions in sales. The people who work designing these bikes are not household names, but they live and breathe the bicycle!

​This is all just my opinion, based on the best of my recollections. Jim Merz

Last edited by Portlandjim; 08-16-23 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling problems
Old 08-16-23, 10:39 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by OldCoot
I must admitt when I see folks riding around on $5k+ Specialized bikes, I mutter under my breath that they drank too much Kool-Aid.
I would be surprised if more than about 1% of the people riding $5k Specialized bikes even know or care what brand they're riding. Of those who do, I would be surpised if more than 1% of them know anything about the company's history.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-16-23, 10:45 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1,850 Times in 679 Posts
the Bicycling article confuses me. Or at least this quote does….

“He was saying to his retailers, ‘I pulled $20 million of potential business out of REI to go with you (independent local shops), and now you’re selling stuff from a company that won’t give you the same commitment?’”

I bought an orange Stumpjumper, used, while at the U of O. Years later it was stolen from a garage break in.

I was gifted a REI gift card and wanted to buy a brand new red Rock Hopper. I remember the Janzen Beach store had a purple one but only in large. They transferred one in from Atlanta, explaining that they were the only two stores that had Specialized bikes.

I don't know if that meant all the stores were phasing them out, or only two stores were Specialized dealers to begin with. I had to wait 3 weeks for my new bike to arrive.

Before ID theft was a thing, I was taught by dad to engrave everything with your name and DL#. I got a call from a pawn shop in Eugene that had my bike. So, I got the original orange Stumpjumper back. The fork is rounded at the top and no Tim Neeman sticker. I suspect its a 84'
Old 08-16-23, 11:20 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by OldCoot
I agree with you. After the Volagi law suit in 2012 over intellectual property, I swore to never buy another Specialized bike again. They produce great products, but I see no need to support their current competive practices.
For a while their legal department seemed to have been as busy as their design department. I'm 2013 they harassed a small shop in Canada for daring to use the name Roubaix on one of their bikes, a name of a town in France specialized trademarked in Canada. After outrage all around Fuji stepped in, letting it be known that they had the worldwide trademark on the name Roubaix and that specialized was actually licensing it from them since 2003. Fuji had more class than to bug that little guy.

If those were isolated incidents it would be one thing but this was their modus operandi for decades.
Old 08-16-23, 02:05 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
For a while their legal department seemed to have been as busy as their design department. I'm 2013 they harassed a small shop in Canada for daring to use the name Roubaix on one of their bikes
It wasn't even complete bicycles. The guy was a custom wheelbuilder.
Old 08-16-23, 04:35 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
There is a lil town in Northeast France owed a big royalty check.

The best thing about Spesh? They ain't Trek.
Old 08-16-23, 05:40 PM
Portlandjim

Bikes: 1946 Holdsworth Cyclone, 1969 Cinelli SC, 1972 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Merz road bike, 1974 Alex Singer Sportif, 1974 Merz track bike, 1975 Teledyne Titan, 1976 Ritchey road bike, 1977 DiNucci built Merz track bike, 1977 (?) Exxon Graftek, many more!

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 1,432 Times in 175 Posts
This tread has turn into a trash Specialized fest?

I put some effort into sharing some of my inside experience inside the bike industry at a high level on this thread. Normally, regular riders would not have access to this kind of story, or it would be filtered through some PR department. So you don't like Specialized because they protect valuable IP. How long do you think it would take for Apple to get a hold of you if you tried to use "Big Sur" for the name of any computer item or software? I live in Big Sur, they didn't ask me if they could use the name. Is this reason to boycott Apple? Bringing up so​me 10 year old internet cluster *uc* doesn't seem to me as contributing to the history of bicycles in any helpful way.

The guy who mentioned that people riding around on $5000 bikes don't know anything? First off, $5000 is shy by about $8000 for a top of the line road bike. They are $13,000 or more, if you can find one for sale! The bike I chose to ride is one​ with this kind of price tag, a S-Works Tarmac SL7. It's the best bike I have ever ridden. Now maybe you don't think you need a bike like this, if so this doesn't mean that every rider who chooses to own one is an idiot. I am quite sure you have never ridden a bike in this category, if so you wouldn't say such things. Plus, it feels like a personal insult. It makes me want to pull the plug on Bike Forum. Jim Merz
Old 08-16-23, 06:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4816 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A sizable proportion of the Japanese bikes sold during the early-1970's bike boom were only maybe a step above the Murrays and Huffys and the like sold in department stores, Western Auto, etc. Gas pipe tubing, crude squarely cut off lugs, and identical top tube and down tube lengths for all frame sizes.

That said, at least Fuji (and probably some other manufacturers) seems to have had a handle on building sophisticated light-weight frames by the mid-to-late '70s.
I raced a 1976 Fuji Pro. Good bike. Next year's Pros with the first Superbe group were excellent bikes. I watched my mechanic ogle a Fuji Pro warranty replacement built between the '77 and '78 runs. It was perhaps the finest production frame he'd ever seen.

I picked up an '83 Pro Miyata last summer. My Fuji Pro taken several steps farther. About as good a race bike as you came make with skinny tubes.

So, yes. The Japanese knew how to make very good bikes and how to do it in production mode. Specialized's talent was tailoring those bikes to the US market and making them visible. I already knew so I never looked at those Specialized bikes. I lost all interest wen I learned of the "cease and desist" orders to small entities that were no threat at all to Specialized (and probably would not have held up had the shop being attacked had a similar legal budget). Watching both Spoecialized and Trek working so hard to push lesser brands out of shops really turns me off. That a consumer cannot sit on and test ride a bunch of brands at a shop - to me, simply BS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.