Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

This is crazy I know, but I really like it!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

This is crazy I know, but I really like it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-22, 05:38 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Thanks for posting that @WGB . Crazy nice find for a crazy price, at least so far. Not too many people would be interested in this bike with three shifters, but then again this is in the Boston area. The Boston metro area is the home of a lot of cycling activity and knowledge. I don't know what it is, but the cyclist in Boston would notice my asymmetrical spoke lacing for instance. In New York, they would notice the name on the down tube. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But Boston cycling community has got to be amongst the best. And it is despite their bad roads and and sometimes aggressive drivers

I'm not willing to go to Brookline since I have my AW hybrid drive system in the works. But it is interesting. I wouldn't mind meeting the guy that built it.
Old 03-30-22, 05:53 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Thanks for posting that @WGB . Crazy nice find for a crazy price, at least so far. Not too many people would be interested in this bike with three shifters, but then again this is in the Boston area. The Boston metro area is the home of a lot of cycling activity and knowledge. I don't know what it is, but the cyclist in Boston would notice my asymmetrical spoke lacing for instance. In New York, they would notice the name on the down tube. Ok, I'm exaggerating. But Boston cycling community has got to be amongst the best. And it is despite their bad roads and and sometimes aggressive drivers

I'm not willing to go to Brookline since I have my AW hybrid drive system in the works. But it is interesting. I wouldn't mind meeting the guy that built it.
the Boston area was home to Harris Cyclery and the legendary Sheldon Brown. I imagine he was as inspiring locally as he is on line, which may have generated alot of devotees who carry on.
Likes For swampyankee2:
Old 03-30-22, 05:55 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
I think it's really cool! I like the innovation
Old 03-30-22, 07:37 PM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 192 Posts
52telecaster , you are giving me inspiration for possible hybrid drive futures on my end of things. Right now I've got a '53 FW four-speed in the back of my Sun Wasp, and I'm going to put on a 20t sprocket to make the High gear more useful around here. My old '50 Superbe had a hybrid drive, with an AG three-speed mated with a dual cog and a Cyclo derailleur. I wasn't a fan of its performance - but I think a newer derailleur would be fun to experiment with. It is great to hear that people still tour with these old hubs at least in rolling country.

Here's my Wasp. I run the hub gear in the back and a Maillard 700 up front (laced to Velocity wheels, so not exactly C&V, but I didn't know about good classic alternatives when they were built)

PXL_20210624_000936279
Likes For Ged117:
Old 03-30-22, 10:56 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
@52telecaster - for your amusement
I think repeat think, that this is what we have here.

I think one barcon is broken off

Price currently $4., Ends in 31 Mar 2022 at 8:06pm locally
Only Available Pickup Date/Time: Sun, April 3 2022 10:00 AM - 03:15 PM

I'll re-post in the craigslist forum

​​​​​​https://maxsold.maxsold.com/auction/...418.1640798474

​​​​​​

Brookline (Massachusetts, USA) Moving Online Auction - Hyslop Road

Carlton Super Course steel frame bicycle. 3-speed Sturmey Archer thumb shifter, Campagnolo components, center-pull hand brakes. Includes rack, repair kit and lock. Tires need air, one handlebar grip missing. Located in basement.
Condition: Untested.

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​
Worth at least 4 bucks! Super course framesets are really just blank canvases.
Old 03-31-22, 07:21 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
the Boston area was home to Harris Cyclery and the legendary Sheldon Brown. I imagine he was as inspiring locally as he is on line, which may have generated alot of devotees who carry on.
Harris and Sheldon Brown were definitely an incredible influence for cycling knowledge in Boston area. But this may be a “chicken and egg” phenomenon. Boston, owing to so many Schools in the area, has been a magnet for “outside the trend “ thinking. Sheldon’s esoteric and thorough knowledge about Bicycles and Bicycling was grounded in extremely receptive soil. Sheldon’s articles on some of the crazier or “homage” bicycles he created (the 64 speed OTB, the Raleigh Competition “Superb”, etc.) and some alternate cabling or modifications of parts for specific situations were a force for tinkerers and home brew engineers that seem so ubiquitous here in Eastern New England. When I first built my hybrid drive bike in the DC Area in 1979, there were no shops or sources of parts and info that could understand the possibility of melding the IGH and a derailleur. It was an “either/or” situation. Disposable income, too, may account for the ability to nurture such hobbies; we are an affluent area.
Unfortunately, both Harris and Sheldon are gone now and there is no heir apparent to claim the crown and throne. Don’t get me wrong, there are still many superb and knowledgeable LBSs around, but the economics of the retail bike industry are more “sales-of-new-bikes” oriented. Harris Cyclery’s Internet supported “we carry all the esoteric stuff and support C&V style cycling” model has not been replicated. No other LBS can talk about these hybrid types of drive trains; Brampton folding bikes; frame alignment and threading standards/retapping; Rivendell and other boutique Frame sources; a plethora of Fender offerings, and still have on hand virtually every internal part for a Sturmey Archer AW hub, that obscure hub dust seal for an early Eighties Shimano freehub or show you several dynamo based head and tail light options. The remaining still very excellent LBSs in the Boston area can cover a set of these areas, but not this complete a range. And yes, I know the other sources to go to for each of these areas, but Harris was one stop shopping for all these and more. Visiting Harris was a bike nerd wet dream.
The downside to being in such a well versed and knowledgeable area is there are fewer and fewer “deals” at yard sales or thrift shops. The bike swaps too, offer some really interesting stuff, but at a premium price as their sellers know the rarity of some of their offerings. But I digress…….
Likes For elcraft:
Old 03-31-22, 11:20 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Worth at least 4 bucks! Super course framesets are really just blank canvases.
This bike of course starts with that blank canvas Raleigh frame that seems to be in good condition. It adds a Sturmey Archer AW, has Campagnolo derailleurs front and rear, the original 3-pin cottered crank, with half step chainrings. Probably a Cyclo 3-cog block for the Sturmey Archer, and a Brooks saddle in good condition.

Of course, this is more than a parts collection, I think the owner has it sorted out. My one and only comment is that I tried a hybrid drive set up with front and rear derailleurs and with three shifters, I was sometimes lost in the gears. I notice that this has a large rear cog that can be useful for hills, and this is a different set up than I had, and shifting pattern may be simpler than I had.

The bike looks like a gem as far as I'm concerned. I would be interested in seeing what the gears and patterns are.

By the way, I am thrilled to see these hybrid drives getting some "good press" I have long been an advocate of them.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 03-31-22, 01:10 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
This bike of course starts with that blank canvas Raleigh frame that seems to be in good condition. It adds a Sturmey Archer AW, has Campagnolo derailleurs front and rear, the original 3-pin cottered crank, with half step chainrings. Probably a Cyclo 3-cog block for the Sturmey Archer, and a Brooks saddle in good condition.

Of course, this is more than a parts collection, I think the owner has it sorted out. My one and only comment is that I tried a hybrid drive set up with front and rear derailleurs and with three shifters, I was sometimes lost in the gears. I notice that this has a large rear cog that can be useful for hills, and this is a different set up than I had, and shifting pattern may be simpler than I had.

The bike looks like a gem as far as I'm concerned. I would be interested in seeing what the gears and patterns are.

By the way, I am thrilled to see these hybrid drives getting some "good press" I have long been an advocate of them.
I briefly did the three shifter thing years ago but like you I got lost in the shifting logic. When cutting back to two shifters I do multiple chain wheels because it is easier to make work well.