Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bendix 2 Speed Hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bendix 2 Speed Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 06:21 PM
Mr. Whicker
Likes bikes

Bikes: Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bendix 2 Speed Hubs

I am looking for a used Bendix 2 speed kickback hub on ebay & need advice in locating one. I had 2 in my youth with the 3 red bands. I notice there are also ones with yellow or blue bands. What is the difference in band colors? Also, many listings for these 2 speed hubs have "NOS" in the description. What does that stand for?
Old 07-13-21, 06:29 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Whicker
I am looking for a used Bendix 2 speed kickback hub on ebay & need advice in locating one. I had 2 in my youth with the 3 red bands. I notice there are also ones with yellow or blue bands. What is the difference in band colors? Also, many listings for these 2 speed hubs have "NOS" in the description. What does that stand for?
NOS = New Old Stock. Means they are old, but still brand new.
The different color bands mean different ratios, but I can't tell ya what they are off the top of my head.
Old 07-13-21, 06:35 PM
Mr. Whicker
Likes bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Dan Burkhart, my questions answered perfectly!
Old 07-13-21, 08:02 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...there is this swell book that you can sometimes find in libraries that don't purge theri collections very often, entitled "Bicycle Service Manual, 2nd Edition". It was published in 1985 by Intertec Publishing Corporation, then located in Overland park Kansas. It has descriptions and servicing instructions, as well as assembly drawings and photos, of all the Bendix hubs, including the three two speed models.

Needless to say, it is a swell book, and the one I have has an honored place on my shelf of repair books out in the garage. the yellow band model was the "standard" model, which will shift to a gear where the shell rotates 35% slower than direct drive. The blue band model is called "automatic overdrive", and the shell will rotate 47% faster when you upshift it. Both of these have standard internal shoe brakes.

The red band model is the one most of us had as kids, and the gear ratios are the same as the yellow band. But it has an advanced internal system of "disc braking", instead of shoes.

If you get a hub on e-bay that is used, finding a copy of that book will probably help you out. Parts between the models are not always interchangeable.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-13-21, 08:08 PM
Mr. Whicker
Likes bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for info, 3alarmer
Old 07-13-21, 09:07 PM
Mr. Whicker
Likes bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Sturmey Archer Hub

I now have a Sturmey Archer S2C 2 speed kickback hub in my cart on ebay. If i would order it, I will have to take it a step st a time to obtain the right sprocket, crank and chain, etc. to replace the derailleur system on my mountain bike. But more troubling is something I read somewhere a few years ago about how these replacements for the Bendix 2 speed hubs have been causing shifting troubles. Might anyone have any info on this?
Old 07-13-21, 09:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4206 Post(s)
Liked 3,870 Times in 2,314 Posts
Wow, this takes me back... I started my LBS life just as the Bendix kick back hubs were loosing favor. IIRC one of the 3 versions had a spring (formed flat sheet type) that would break often enough to be a known problem. Which version? Others might remember better.

The design issue I had with them was every time one used the brake one also shifted the gear. For better or worse... Andy
Old 07-13-21, 09:37 PM
Mr. Whicker
Likes bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for reply, Mr. Stewart, and of course the 2 speed hubs I'm wondering about, if they are troublesome, are the Sturmey Archer ones, I had 2 Bendix Red Bands when I was young and never had any trouble with either of them.
Old 07-13-21, 10:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26421 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Whicker
I now have a Sturmey Archer S2C 2 speed kickback hub in my cart on ebay. If i would order it, I will have to take it a step st a time to obtain the right sprocket, crank and chain, etc. to replace the derailleur system on my mountain bike. But more troubling is something I read somewhere a few years ago about how these replacements for the Bendix 2 speed hubs have been causing shifting troubles. Might anyone have any info on this?
...I could tell you about the one SRAM made and sold, but they seem to have stopped making them. Those were an excellent product, if you can find one NOS. I think maybe Sturmy Archer is the only game in town now.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Wow, this takes me back... I started my LBS life just as the Bendix kick back hubs were loosing favor. IIRC one of the 3 versions had a spring (formed flat sheet type) that would break often enough to be a known problem. Which version? Others might remember better.

The design issue I had with them was every time one used the brake one also shifted the gear. For better or worse... Andy
...that spring thingy had a little tab on it that wore down. You could rebend the tab, and get some extra life out of it. It's named the retarder coupling.