Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Colnago and Saronni Pair

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 08:10 PM
QuangVuong

Bikes: 89 Centurion Carbon, 91 Peugeot Izoard, 90s Giant Cadex 980c

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've never been too into European steel. I just reckon it's all overpriced stuff, where you're paying for the name more than the frame quality. Aussie steel can be just as good.

But nonetheless, I still ended up with a pair.

First is the road Colnago. I believe it is a mid 80s(possibly 1985) Colnago Super. That would mean Columbus SL. I believe it has non original paint and decals. Smithy78 has an almost identical one here: Australian Cycling Forums - Colnago Appreciation Society

Dual TT cable guides

Colnago club cutout on lower HT lug

BB shell cutout with cable guides

Club panto on the brake bridge

Colnago cast(?) seat stay caps

Colango engraving/stamping on both chainstays

C with the club inside external sloping crown with Brevetto Colnago fork tips.

Campagnolo dropouts with 0738 stamped into it

Pinning

It only has bidon mounts on the DT.

Like I said, I don't know too much about Colnagos. What is it, and what year?

It definitely needs new chrome on the fork, and probably will get new paint too. Probably put on a Sante groupset. But I also do have a 7400 and a Mavic SSC(starfish) groupset lying around too.
Old 12-09-15, 08:16 PM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This is the other one, a Saronni pista frame missing the original fork. I believe it is a Colnago built one. Dodgiebros, has an identical frame: Australian Cycling Forums - Project SARONNI

Single club cutout on the lower HT lug

Saronni engraved seatstay cap

Slotted BB shell

Pinning very similar to the Colnago above

It is stamped S8 on the right side track end. Or 8S if it's stamped upside down like on the Colnago.

It is only Columbus Aelle, but it doesn't make a huge difference on the track. The paint around the BB is dead as I was soaking the BB shell to get rid of the rust which was quite bad(couldn't screw in a BB cup). Does anyone happen to have a Saronni track fork lying around? Or one similar to the original(flat crown) I could be interested. And what is the story behind these Colnago made Saronni frames? There's not too much info about these frames at all.

Here's the pair together. Both the same size, and I'll be building a sort of matching pair. Both will be painted in the matching paint which is known as 'Saronni Red'. What's the closest paint that I could get? The red on the Saronni is pretty poor, so I don't know how accurate it would be to take a colour reading off that.
[/quote]
Old 12-10-15, 08:29 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Check this site out for changes in the frame over time. the Colnago can't be older than 1982 and the Saronni can't be newer than 1982.
Old 12-11-15, 12:26 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-15, 09:28 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
The Super(?) fork crown matches my '83, as do most other details. Neat pair, too bad about the missing fork for the track frame. What did you use around the BB shell area to deal with the rust? It sure took a liking to the paint as you mention (not a problem for you, but could be for others not planning on a repaint).

I don't have recommendations on paint that will get you close to Saronni red, but I'm guessing it'll take a good amount of work. Maybe a two stage process to get close to the cromovelato-like finish. Maybe some flavor of candy red? There's got to be some info out there from someone else who tried to recreate that finish in the past.

And sure, the name can play into the price on most anything, but Colnagos ride beautifully. It's lifetime bike for me. Good score!
Old 12-13-15, 01:57 AM
QuangVuong

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
The Super(?) fork crown matches my '83, as do most other details. Neat pair, too bad about the missing fork for the track frame. What did you use around the BB shell area to deal with the rust? It sure took a liking to the paint as you mention (not a problem for you, but could be for others not planning on a repaint).
Just the normal rust converter stuff. The frame was submerged in the stuff for a few days, then brass wire wheeled, then a steel cup inserted. Would be quick with a set of taps. The paint was in pretty poor condition in the first place anyway, so no huge loss.