Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

12 Lb flywheel for Kurt Kinetic Road Machine

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12, 05:48 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Anyone use the additional 12 lb flywheel on their KK Road Machine? I am trying to determine if it worth adding one. All the new machines are capable of adding the larger flywheel but my machine was made about 6 months before Kurt made the change.

Any idea what they changed? A machine built since 2010 can add the extra flywheel for about $80.00. It would cost me $350 to add it to my machine which is more than I paid for it. I would think a machinist could make the modifications so that an older machine could accept the larger flywheel but it might not be worth the effort.

I don’t need the trainer now but in the winter months, I might start using it again.
Old 07-28-12, 06:28 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
nope - not worth it.
Old 07-29-12, 06:22 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why are you so concerned that you need that heavier flywheel anyway?
Old 07-29-12, 06:33 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
It adds more weight which gives it greater momentum which is supposed to more realistically mimic a road ride. It'll have longer spin up and coast down times. Most likely not worth worrying about it.
Old 07-29-12, 07:27 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know what the brochure says, but why does it matter? Besides, it's going to take a lot more than a flywheel to make a trainer ride similar to a road ride.
Old 07-29-12, 07:35 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'm not talking out of the brochure but from riding it (the larger flywheel, not the brochure). So it matters if one wants more momentum. It provides a better ride. Some spin bikes have larger and heavier flywheels. They're a better ride than the spin bikes with smaller and lighter flywheels. Same physics at work here.

Last edited by gsteinb; 07-29-12 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-29-12, 08:24 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
I have it, I used it once.
Old 07-29-12, 09:00 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I bought my KK used and it came with one. Note that it is only recommended for steady/tt type stuff and not intervals, which is all I use my trainer for. Also, with regular tires (krylions & GP4000s) you need to crank it down a crazy amount to prevent slipping. The one time I tried it with a Vittoria trainer tire it worked better.
Old 07-29-12, 10:18 AM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for responding. I had considered the heavier flywheel so ghat I could do 2 hour rides during the winter. However, the more I thought about it the less I wanted to be on a trainer for 2 hours. So I agree it isn't worth getting it. I will stick with using the trainer for intervals.
Old 07-29-12, 10:25 AM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My Trutrainer roller has a flywheel that is fixed, always on. I find the ride much more realistic compared to other rollers I've tried.
Old 07-29-12, 12:32 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
If I had one I would take it off. The best use of the trainer for me is for shorter interval sessions. A heavy flywheel would make these more difficult.

Spend you money on Spinervals or CTS DVD's and you will have more effective and far more enjoyable trainer workouts.
Old 07-29-12, 01:08 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to use the trainer as a training tool to simulate intervals and hill climbs. My KK doesn't provide as much resistance as a spin bike but I think I can still improve my hill climbing with it by pushing it until my legs are burning.
Old 07-29-12, 05:51 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I would think a machinist could make the modifications so that an older machine could accept the larger flywheel but it might not be worth the effort.
I'm in the same situation and looked at his before.

Originally Posted by Kurt Kinetic Website
Can I upgrade my Kinetic Road Machine so I can use the optional 12 lb. flywheel that comes with the Kinetic Pro Machine?

No we are sorry but you cannot. The Pro Machine was designed specifically for use with the extra weight of the optional 12 lb. flywheel. Because of the extra weight, it requires a bigger 16mm shaft (versus the 12mm of the Road Machine) and also the Pro Machine’s 16 mm shaft is threaded to accept the attachment bolt to hold the 12 lb. flywheel in place.
They are talking about a cross sectional area of 113cm^2 for the older model and 201cm^2 for the new/pro unit. I would take their advice on the additional weight.

Originally Posted by Kurt Kinetic Website
Do I need to recalibrate my Kinetic Power Computer when using the optional 12 lb. flywheel that comes with the Pro Trainer?

No. It’s the fluid chamber alone that provides the resistance and so the resistance does not change, even with the additional 12 lb. flywheel. The extra weight of the 12 lb. flywheel is only designed to make the ride even smoother and to replicate the outdoor road ride. Because the fluid chamber alone provides the resistance, there is no need to recalibrate the Kinetic PC when using either just the 6 lb. permanent flywheel or the additional 12 lb. flywheel.
As others have stated, doesn't seem worth it.
Old 07-29-12, 06:26 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by jrobe
If I had one I would take it off. The best use of the trainer for me is for shorter interval sessions. A heavy flywheel would make these more difficult.
Why would a heavier flywheel make the sessions more difficult? With the heavier flywheel it does a better job of simulating the inertial load you have when riding outdoors.
Old 07-29-12, 06:33 PM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want to use the trainer as a training tool to simulate intervals and hill climbs. My KK doesn't provide as much resistance as a spin bike but I think I can still improve my hill climbing with it by pushing it until my legs are burning.
The reality of using the heavier flywheel is that your tire will lose contact with the roller more easily during the acceleration of an interval. This requires backing off a bit, contrary to your goal.

Just use a bigger gear if you want more resistance.
Old 07-29-12, 06:44 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogerstg
The reality of using the heavier flywheel is that your tire will lose contact with the roller more easily during the acceleration of an interval. This requires backing off a bit, contrary to your goal.

Just use a bigger gear if you want more resistance.
Hrm, this is exactly why i wanted the heavier flywheel. I wonder if a trainer specific tire would have enough grip? Right now I just use worn out GP4000s's on the trainer.
Old 07-29-12, 07:34 PM
darb85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have it, no issues with intervals, I like it.
Old 07-29-12, 08:23 PM
handz98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Me too!
Old 07-29-12, 08:50 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you ever want to take your trainer to events for warm ups, an extra 12lbs to lug around sounds irritating.
Old 07-29-12, 10:02 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beaker
If you ever want to take your trainer to events for warm ups, an extra 12lbs to lug around sounds irritating.
It might be irritating for some people but I don't race so I would never take a trainer anywhere. Also, I think the larger flywheel come off in a few seconds.
Old 07-30-12, 06:59 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
Hrm, this is exactly why i wanted the heavier flywheel. I wonder if a trainer specific tire would have enough grip? Right now I just use worn out GP4000s's on the trainer.
I've used various tires including GP4000 and the Conti trainer tire and tighten the contact knob as much as I can by hand (more than the recommended amount by Kurt). Still, there seem to be others that have no issues with slipping when they sprint so I wonder what is different.
Old 07-30-12, 07:01 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beaker
You can easily remove it and leave it at home for those situations
Old 07-30-12, 07:35 AM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerstg
I've used various tires including GP4000 and the Conti trainer tire and tighten the contact knob as much as I can by hand (more than the recommended amount by Kurt). Still, there seem to be others that have no issues with slipping when they sprint so I wonder what is different.
I had slip problems using worn Krylions and possibly a GP4000s (can't remember if tried it). Seems the one time I used it with a Vittoria trainer tire (red) it worked better. But I have since removed the extra weight.

Per Kurt's literature, the added weight is really only meant for endurance/tt training as it keeps your spin going at a more consistent rate. They recommend removing it for intervals, possibly due to slippage issues. And note that it doesn't add any resistance once you have it at speed, it only takes a little longer to get it there and holds it at speed longer.

And yes, it is not difficult to install or remove it.
Old 07-30-12, 07:59 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the "pro machine" I think it was on clearance from performance and it came with the flywheel. It makes long tempo and endurance workouts feel much more natural. Not the thing for intervals though. Overall I'm glad I have it.
Old 07-30-12, 08:59 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darb85
Same here. If the tire is slipping, just increase the pressure until it doesn't.

I've never been on a spin bike, so can't comment on its resistance. If you are stronger than the resistance the KK provides, you should be pro. You'd have to be able to do 40-45 mph on flats to max out a KK fluid unit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.