Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Help With Campy Bearings

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-22, 05:25 PM
cloudswimmer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Chris here from So.Cal. .. new forum member. So I have a first generation Colnago Master with a Campagnolo Super Record grouppo from around 1984, and I’m needing headset and bottom bracket bearings. I see Campy NOS headset bearings pop up on auction sites that say Record .. will those fit? And how would I go about determining the bottom bracket bearings I need .. I see a couple different sizes pop up. Thanks!
Old 04-08-22, 05:47 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
You don't need caged bearings. I believe the headset takes a number of 3/16" balls and the bottom bracket takes eleven 1/4" balls on each side. If you can get them grade 25 bearings are the better quality ones.

Most headsets take 25 5/32" balls top and bottom but the nuovo and super record headsets went with 20 3/16" balls top and bottom.

Last edited by Narhay; 04-08-22 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 05:49 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 267 Posts
I think Campy used the same size as the 70's.
I recommend loose ball bearings, rather than their retainer-type.
Most good bike shops will carry good quality ones in this size.
Old 04-08-22, 06:00 PM
cloudswimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
You don't need caged bearings. I believe the headset takes a number of 3/16" balls and the bottom bracket takes eleven 1/4" balls on each side. If you can get them grade 25 bearings are the better quality ones.
I had the headset apart last week and the bearings are caged. I haven’t had the bottom bracket apart since 1985 and can’t remember for sure .. I thought they might be individual balls .. but then looking on eBay I see Super Record caged bottom bracket bearings that say NOS .. so I’m confused. Is there a website I’m overlooking that goes over all the old Campy stuff by chance? Thanks!
Old 04-08-22, 06:05 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Your bottom bracket takes eleven 1/4" loose bearings on each side. Always buy grade 25 bearings.

I asked c&v where they're getting their bearings here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gs-online.html

I now buy grade 25 bearings from seller bctrade on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?isRe...ue&sid=bctrade
Old 04-08-22, 06:13 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Maybe these help, google around with "super record campagnolo 1984 headset diagram" or some such-

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...et-pedals.html

https://cycling-obsession.com/vintag...eadset-review/
Old 04-08-22, 06:25 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudswimmer
I had the headset apart last week and the bearings are caged. I haven’t had the bottom bracket apart since 1985 and can’t remember for sure .. I thought they might be individual balls .. but then looking on eBay I see Super Record caged bottom bracket bearings that say NOS .. so I’m confused. Is there a website I’m overlooking that goes over all the old Campy stuff by chance? Thanks!
Caged bearings make assembly easier but aren't required for these particular components.
Old 04-08-22, 11:51 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
The Campagnolo headset bearing cages are designed to maximize the number of balls in each race. There’s no advantage to leaving them out.

This is not true of most other brands of headsets which have cages that leave a lot of space unused. Hidden cost cutting at its finest.
Old 04-09-22, 04:54 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 406 Posts
I agree: cage bearings offer ease of assembly, thus reduced labor costs, to the manufacturer but offer no advantage to the user. I use grade 25 loose balls in my bikes because they work very well and I have the time to avoid cutting corners. You will see this from time to time - a manufacturer finds a way to save material or labor costs then has the “marketing” guys write it up so it sounds like a performance advantage to the buyer and justifies the price increase. Double win.

I would not pay for NOS caged bearings. Better quality loose bearing balls are readily available and inexpensive. AND I’ve had very few people, over the years, ask me to take my Campy headset apart so they can check if I have original bearings.

My father used to say that you could always tell the weakest feature of a product as that was the feature most promoted in the advertisements. Some wisdom there. Actually, he may have heard that from his father.
Old 04-09-22, 05:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Most, but not all, bikes sold with Super Record parts used Nuovo Record bottom brackets, which take 11 1/4" balls in each race. If your bike has an actual Super Record bottom bracket (titanium axle), it will take 14 3/16" balls in each race. Super Record bottom bracket axles and cups are not interchangeable with Record or Nuovo Record bottom bracket axles and cups.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-09-22, 05:52 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by C9H13N
The Campagnolo headset bearing cages are designed to maximize the number of balls in each race. There’s no advantage to leaving them out.
+1 this. As are Campagnolo bottom bracket ball retainers, which hold a full 11-ball complement (14 balls, for actual Super Record/C-Record retainers). If the balls are worn, you can press them out of the retainer and press in fresh balls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14-11-ball.jpg (96.4 KB, 107 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-09-22, 06:14 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Hi guys,

Chris here from So.Cal. .. new forum member. So I have a first generation Colnago Master with a Campagnolo Super Record grouppo from around 1984, and I’m needing headset and bottom bracket bearings. I see Campy NOS headset bearings pop up on auction sites that say Record .. will those fit? And how would I go about determining the bottom bracket bearings I need .. I see a couple different sizes pop up. Thanks!
Welcome to bikeforums @cloudswimmer
We're going to need see pics of that Colnago, please stick around.
Regarding bearings, I'm pretty sure Campagnolo never made any bearings of their own ever. They just source them from the same ball mills of the world we all have access to in grade 25. If I'm wrong about this I will be corrected. I've never had trouble installing loose balls in any bike component.
Old 04-09-22, 06:34 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
SKF was the supplier.

"full super record"

super record had titanium bottom bracket spindle and pedal shafts. Might have, but most likely these parts are steel. Magnet test for an full answer.

I would as J Thompson wrote- just gently push the old bearings out. Or, just clean and inspect.
if the headset shows false brinelling (dents in races) go to loose bearings and add at least one compared to caged units.

on the bottom bracket, if it has not been apart for 25-30 years.... hopefully the spindle is not trashed. Take it apart and inspect fully- spindle dies before the cups.
Old 04-09-22, 05:07 PM
cloudswimmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks John and everyone else who participated in this thread to help out, I’m all up to speed now on Campy bearings thanks to you guys. 👍

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Most, but not all, bikes sold with Super Record parts used Nuovo Record bottom brackets, which take 11 1/4" balls in each race. If your bike has an actual Super Record bottom bracket (titanium axle), it will take 14 3/16" balls in each race. Super Record bottom bracket axles and cups are not interchangeable with Record or Nuovo Record bottom bracket axles and cups.
Old 04-11-22, 05:17 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1 this. As are Campagnolo bottom bracket ball retainers, which hold a full 11-ball complement (14 balls, for actual Super Record/C-Record retainers). If the balls are worn, you can press them out of the retainer and press in fresh balls.
John,
Thanks for posting! I have been replacing balls in retainers for 40 years and have yet to see a failure. It is simply a way to get back to new with a bit of effort on the part of the mechanic. You are making a lot of sense in this discussion. Smiles, MH
Old 04-13-22, 08:16 PM
Darme

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Campy

Here is some info from 1982 campy components catalogue hope it helps .

Old 04-14-22, 07:53 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Despite what Narhay says in post #2, I would trust Sutherland's on the headset info:

The way to tell a "Super Record" headset from a "Record" is that the SR has aluminum upper screwed race and lower pressed race (with steel inserts for bearing races) and locknut. Record has chromed steel. Bearing size (which should be figured out and correct) aside, when filling headset races, I always add balls carefully pushing them into reasonable position, until I get to the point where no more will fit. Then I remove one. Better one too few than one too many. With 5/32" balls, I find the resulting number is usually 25 for most vintage headsets.

Bearings for BB are as John D Thompson says above in post #10, and the BB is only SR if it has a titanium spindle.

Try to find a Sutherland's Manual, either electronic or actual, online somewhere. It's an invaluable resource. I use the 6th edition in preference to the 4th.