Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anybody created their own cycling shoes w/ cleats?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-23, 09:44 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 663 Posts

I know there used to be a Santa Cruz company called Retrofitz that sold a plastic inner. Seems they went under.

I am somewhat inspired by a kid (in his 40s) who first asked what my down tube shifters were. Then he noted my Dettos looked like bowling shoes.

followed by a visit to a local vintage shop what sometimes has vintage wool Jerseys. There I saw actual bowling shoes, in my size even. With the size displayed on the back.

got me thinking.

anyone make their own?

Last edited by Robvolz; 09-27-23 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 10:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I have seriously considered making the old fashioned slotted cleats for toeclipped pedals only with a LOOK compatible bolt pattern, not nails but Exustar beat me to it. (And did a very nice job.)

There's a local cobbler I'd trust to make cycling shoes but it wouldn't be cheap. (I'm guessing he'd bid too low, find they took a lot of thinking and effort, do a nice job and tell me the next pair will cost double based on what he learned.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-27-23, 10:07 AM
Robvolz 

I agree on the slotted cleat / toe strap style.

Shoes unless designed for “lift up from the sole” could fall apart quickly unless stout from the start.
Old 09-27-23, 11:16 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
for a while the "retro tweed-y" crowd were buying really stout all-leather dress shoes from thrift stores (quality "Brogues" with or W/O wingtips, extra points if made by an English shoemaker!) and getting oldskool slotted cleats nailed on.
They probably cleaned out all the high-quality shoes in Portland, Brooklyn and BayArea in a matter of weeks. So that fad went quickly.
I guess if the shoes also had spring-steel sole reinforcements (steel shanks) they might be nearly as stiff as some genuine Cycling shoes (with leather soles but not the wooden-soled jobs) plus they were certainly really HEAVY over-all!

Last edited by unworthy1; 09-27-23 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-27-23, 11:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by unworthy1
for a while the "retro tweed-y" crowd were buying really stout all-leather dress shoes from thrift stores (quality "Brogues" with or W/O wingtips, extra points if made by an English shoemaker!) and getting oldskool slotted cleats nailed on.
They probably cleaned out all the high-quality shoes in Portland, Brooklyn and BayArea in a matter of weeks. So that fad went quickly.
I guess if the shoes also had spring-steel sole reinforcements they might be nearly as stiff as some genuine Cycling shoes (with leather soles but not the wooden-soled jobs) plus they were certainly really HEAVY over-all!
I rode the LL Bean Ranger Oxford moccasins for decades. Thick smoothish rubber sole with a steel shank. Toestraps gripped (and didn't scar) the uppers well. The tab on Leotard Berthet pedals made a groove n the sole so straps pulled tight, I could ride my 44-17 up anything my legs were good for. (Seattle's N65th Street to Aurora from both sides.) When sole replacement time came, Bean's would repair the stitching on the leather rolls at the tongue base that took a beating from those climbs. Sadly, they went to a lugged Vibron style sole. Impossible for fix gear pedal pickup. If they went back, I'd go back to them in a flash. Best everyday, fully bike worthy shoe I've ever owned, by far.
Old 09-27-23, 11:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
https://www.instructables.com/High-h...ss-bike-shoes/

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-27-23, 11:37 AM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Old 09-27-23, 11:41 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
"she did everything Fred Astaire did but backwards and in high heels"
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-27-23, 11:47 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Detto Pietro is still in business selling leather-soled cycling shoes.

On two separate occasions I tried to order a pair, to no avail. I sent messages in English and Italian but got no responses. I tried to order online, too, but the order would not go to completion. I gave up.

The cleats, if you want them, are the easy part.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 09-27-23 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-27-23, 12:55 PM
79pmooney

After my last post I went to the LL Bean website and searched for those Range Oxfords. Not to be seen. But, the Allagash Bison Handsewns, Oxford are the same construction and not too different sole. No steel. But stiff foot beds exist.

And that sole could be modified easily to accommodate my shorter right leg. (Never an issue in my past. I was clueless.) That heel is deep. 1/2" ground off would be easy and leave plenty. Grind the lugged portion (by sight roughly 1/4") off the left shoe. Then fill the sole grooves in the right shoe with 3M 5200.

I'd do needed repairs on a few of my other cycling shoes while I am at it. The stuff is expensive. The grease gun tube from West Marine in black was $25 5 years ago. A tube's worth is a lot. You have 5-7 days to use an opened tube before it hardens. Takes nearly that long to set up on the shoe. Messy, requires harsh solvents to clean up. But permanent, durable, strong and very adhesive. We used to use it to glue sailboat decks to the hull. Yes, with bolts every 6" but ... once set up, you could remove the bolts and pick the boat up by the deck. A 30 footer with lead keel - if your fiberglass laminate was up to it. The 5200 won't go anywhere. Being part of a shoe sole is child's play for that stuff. (And walking on it is no different than the rubber it is applied to.)
Old 09-27-23, 02:21 PM
Robvolz 

I’m at a co-op today.

I noticed shoes in the $5 bin. I see no reason I can’t dremel out the inner foot bed and use them.

I’ll post results
Old 09-28-23, 11:23 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Office shoes or stiff Oxfords fill in the gaps nicely. They are stiff and looks good. The best are from L.L. Bean but other big brands are almost as good. I bought a pair of Rockport's 2 years ago that I bough off of E-Bay. Lower price and works great.
Old 09-28-23, 03:13 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I also have a pair of the red/blue bowling shoes. I once thought of removing the soles off some cycling shoes and gluing the Bowling shoes onto them.

I had to reglue some old NOS cycling shoes back onto the soles they came with as the adhesive had dried out., even bought some hi grade glue. It wasnt too difficult to do so i figured getting some donor shoes and doing the blowing shoes would be easy.. I did have to make some Clamping Jigs to get full pressure on the soles as i had to deal with gaps. But they look good.