Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Suggestions around Philadelphia and/or the Catskill area?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-16, 09:24 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Hi Guys,

We are going to the US for about 2 weeks to drop our daughter to college at Penn.

We have been road cyclists for almost a decade, and had looked at the Catskill area and made a reservation there for half our stay. The other half is in Philadelphia city.

Stumbled upon this concept of off road cycling, and have ordered 2 gravel bikes.

Now, looking at some easy riding routes in Philly, and in the Catskill region. Suggestions? If there is better option than the Catskill area anywhere near [we have a car], we can change our location too. Currently we have booked a cottage at Shandaken, near Woodstock.

Being our first time off roading, we would like to keep the routes reasonably simple without too much of steep climbs. Road climbing is fine, but off road, we have not done at all.
Old 08-11-16, 02:22 PM
09box

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In the Philly Area, i'd recommend:

Schuylkill River Trail - Valley Forge to Philadelphia | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

Schuykill River Trail was voted one of the best trails in America. It isn't gravel except for a couple short sections. It can get crowded in certain sections but worth the ride.

Perkiomen Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

Perkiomen Trail connects with the Schuykill River Trail. It is half cinder/gravel and asphalt.

D & L Trail - Delaware Canal Towpath | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

The Delaware Canal Towpath follows the Delaware River. It is gravel, red clay, grass and cinder all in certain parts.

It is asphalt but I have to plug my local trail that I use quite a bit:

202 Parkway Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

There are probably more in the Philly area that are escaping me. I'll let you know if I think of any more. What two weeks are you going to be in the States?
Old 08-25-16, 08:32 PM
mattave

Bikes: Norco Threshold Carbon 105, Foundry Tomahawk B3, FitWell Degroot III, Gravity Vanquish, Dawes SST

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also recommend Forbidden Drive in Philly. Nice gravel/stone dust road along a beautiful creek Wissahickon Valley Park (Forbidden Drive) | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com
Old 08-26-16, 04:49 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by mattave
I would also recommend Forbidden Drive in Philly. Nice gravel/stone dust road along a beautiful creek Wissahickon Valley Park (Forbidden Drive) | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com
Just did that yesterday. A nice 50 km loop starting from the UPenn area including the Schuylkill river trail, and loved it. I think my daughter is going to love it here. Can't imagine that you get riding like this inside a large city.
Old 08-26-16, 04:50 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by 09box
In the Philly Area, i'd recommend:

Schuylkill River Trail - Valley Forge to Philadelphia | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

Schuykill River Trail was voted one of the best trails in America. It isn't gravel except for a couple short sections. It can get crowded in certain sections but worth the ride.

Perkiomen Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

Perkiomen Trail connects with the Schuykill River Trail. It is half cinder/gravel and asphalt.

D & L Trail - Delaware Canal Towpath | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

The Delaware Canal Towpath follows the Delaware River. It is gravel, red clay, grass and cinder all in certain parts.

It is asphalt but I have to plug my local trail that I use quite a bit:

202 Parkway Trail | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

There are probably more in the Philly area that are escaping me. I'll let you know if I think of any more. What two weeks are you going to be in the States?
Hey, I missed these posts. getting my daughter shifted in has kept me busy :-)

Leaving Philly today but will do these on my next trip.

Edit: Landed on 22nd. Leaving today for the Catskill area for about 8 days. Just got in 2 rides in Philly.

Didn't want to turn back but my wife had this strange idea that dropping our daughter at the univ had priority.
Old 08-26-16, 10:06 AM
09box

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can't go wrong with Forbidden Drive and the Schuykill River Trail. Forbidden Drive has some nice views. Mrs. TJ works near there and if she has to head into work on the weekend, i'll head down with her and ride on that while she is working.