Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gillott mixte in the Atelier

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gillott mixte in the Atelier

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 12:07 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 816 Times in 451 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is that a punch mark in the center of the chainstay support? Seems too carefully located to be an accident.

And edit! I finally learned how to do multi-quotes!!
Yes, that punch mark is Ron Cooper "maker's mark," on my '74ish Racing Bike. (If the Gillott mixte being gugiefied was from Ron Cooper's hand, it likely would bear this mark.)

Congratulations on becoming multi-quotal!

Last edited by machinist42; 11-30-20 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 10:09 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
only being distant observer web aware there have been features to tighten up security for the user and site owner, also a new style of “ambulance chaser” lawyer who works with a disabled “client” and files what is essentially an extortion suit. All can be fixed, just takes time and money, raises the cost of running a site.
In this case, no conspiracy. I emailed Dave, he took a look at the web builder site he was using and saw that there was a toggle he didn't click (SSL certificate or something like that). Clicked it, now it's "secure".
Old 11-30-20, 10:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Got an email back from the customer, he bought it from a gentleman in his 80's who is selling off his bicycles, looking for a good home, and found one. He claimed Ron Cooper built it, so I'll go with that.

Last edited by gugie; 12-01-20 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 09:45 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Update! Torch fired up

With two weeks off from work at the end of the year, it's time to catch up on Atelier projects. I've been staring and dreaming of working on this one for awhile. With some anxiety (this one's a beauty to start with), the work begins.

First, a proper derailleur hanger is desired. This was my first challenge on this frame mod. The stamped steel dropouts are rather thin compared to a forged bit. I wanted to use a horizontal dropout as a donor, I can cut these to give a rather long contact for good purchase. I have a damaged, no-name DIY project frame in the Atelier that was given to me with Campy 1010 dropouts that I'll likely never get around to repairing. Like a kidney transplant donor, it gave up part of it's body so that another could live a better life.

Here's the cut, filed square and straight bit to give me an idea of how it would fit up.

The bottom of the Gillot dropouts are rounded, so they need to be flattened to match the hanger piece. I carefully clamped the dropout in my vise and rested the other end of the frame on my bench. Hacksaw and file later, it's ready to match the hanger.

Flux, clamp with a cheap set of Harbor Freight vise grips, and brass it in place.

Next step is clean up. Note the step - the sheet metal dropouts on this old Gillott are much narrower than the derailleur hanger body. I'll build this back up with some silvered in stainless sheet metal, and cut and file it to match the curvature of this elegant dropout

Old 12-26-20, 10:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Challenge #2 - getting the fenders to fit up past the twin laterals

@repechage saw this one coming. The SimWorks fenders that the client picked out are 54mm wide. Clearance at the seat stays is about 56, no problem. Chainstay clearance is much less, but I can shape the stays around them as I've done in the past. The problem is the twin lateral stays. Tire clearance there is about the same as the chainstays, but add a fender, no dice. If I form the fenders around the twin laterals I may lose tire clearance. What to do? Radical surgery is the solution.

First, let's take a look at what we're up against. I've already rough brazed in fender attachment points in this picture on the chain and seat bridges. This sets the path the fender will take. Notice that the twin laterals bend inwards to attach to the seat tube - the more "standard" construction is to add one of these - but that adds weight, and the builder clearly wanted this to be as light as possible. If you look carefully you can see a Sharpie clue as to what's in store for this frame.

My file set gave up one of it's nine lives on this one.

No, I did not leave that gaping hole. It's common to use tubing cutoffs as seat stay caps. Similarly I took a piece of head tube scrap, cut it down the middle, flattened it out some, and brassed it in. Lots of hacking and filing later, I've got this.

Removing the fender you can see what I did.
Old 12-26-20, 11:00 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Woah! I have to admit seeing that picture of the stay cut away made me feel a bit squeamish. That was an audacious thing to do on such a nice frame but you pulled it off! Nice work, Mark!
Old 12-26-20, 11:15 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Mmm, scallops.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-27-20, 12:02 AM
73StellaSX76

Bikes: 2016 SOMA DCD, 2014 Niner RLT9, 2008 Ibis Silk SL, 1998 Ibis Spanky, 1973 Stella SX76

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 46 Posts
I’m really enjoying following this thread, fine workmanship indeed on all counts. I was not aware of faux lugs before, learn something new every day. I think I would have tried canti stud bases such as they use on mtbs (mounted instead toward the outside) in order to mount the brakes to the laterals, both for the simpler cable routing and to maintain the integrity of the tubes, but I like what you did with the scallops very much.
Do you leave a maker’s mark, Mark?
Old 12-27-20, 10:41 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by northbend
Woah! I have to admit seeing that picture of the stay cut away made me feel a bit squeamish. That was an audacious thing to do on such a nice frame but you pulled it off! Nice work, Mark!
And you weren't the guy with a file in his hand! It's one thing to do something like this on a frame you're building - if you screw up you can replace a tube. Filing in place, making sure I didn't nick any surrounding tubes on a frame built in 1952 from a famous frame house...

Originally Posted by 73StellaSX76
I’m really enjoying following this thread, fine workmanship indeed on all counts. I was not aware of faux lugs before, learn something new every day. I think I would have tried canti stud bases such as they use on mtbs (mounted instead toward the outside) in order to mount the brakes to the laterals, both for the simpler cable routing and to maintain the integrity of the tubes, but I like what you did with the scallops very much.
Do you leave a maker’s mark, Mark?
Brake selection was done by the customer. I'd already done a 650b conversion for his bike, I'd guess he wants them to match stylistically.

As for my maker's mark:

Old 12-27-20, 01:17 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Interesting work on the Gillott. Cooper-Gugi-Ficazione. Little nervous about the derailleur hanger, seems it could flex laterally without extending the thickness of the forged piece along the full side of the original dropout. But you know bettah n me.
Old 12-28-20, 11:48 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
With two weeks off from work at the end of the year, it's time to catch up on Atelier projects. I've been staring and dreaming of working on this one for awhile. With some anxiety (this one's a beauty to start with), the work begins.

First, a proper derailleur hanger is desired. This was my first challenge on this frame mod. The stamped steel dropouts are rather thin compared to a forged bit. I wanted to use a horizontal dropout as a donor, I can cut these to give a rather long contact for good purchase. I have a damaged, no-name DIY project frame in the Atelier that was given to me with Campy 1010 dropouts that I'll likely never get around to repairing. Like a kidney transplant donor, it gave up part of it's body so that another could live a better life.

Next step is clean up. Note the step - the sheet metal dropouts on this old Gillott are much narrower than the derailleur hanger body. I'll build this back up with some silvered in stainless sheet metal, and cut and file it to match the curvature of this elegant dropout

Huh. I have a vague, dusty memory of a derailleur hanger braze-on exactly that shape except that was all there was to it... as if someone offered a piece to do exactly what you're doing here. I can't remember where I saw it but it's got to be at least 30 years ago.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-29-20, 12:01 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Beautiful work! Resto-modification with components is one thing. Doing so with the frameset is another, and I think that is one of the better ways to go if one really likes a frame and wants more from it in terms of features or convenience or conversion. Bravo!
Old 12-29-20, 12:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Huh. I have a vague, dusty memory of a derailleur hanger braze-on exactly that shape except that was all there was to it... as if someone offered a piece to do exactly what you're doing here. I can't remember where I saw it but it's got to be at least 30 years ago.
Campagnolo Article 80/1. Here's a picture of one from @bulgie's Flickr site:

I recall seeing these in one of those rare Campy spare part drawers at an LBS I worked at 4 decades ago. They're very rare nowadays.
Old 12-29-20, 12:53 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts

I recall seeing these in one of those rare Campy spare part drawers at an LBS I worked at 4 decades ago. They're very rare nowadays.
That one is even rarer being the 1950s version with the drilled hole for a Sport mech — the ones with a spring in the upper pivot. Most of the 80/1 examples you find do not have the hole, nor the raised surround for the hole.
In 1010 dropouts, you see three styles (from oldest to newest)
  1. Raised surround, and hole
  2. Raised surround (same forging die) but no drilled hole (transitional, early-mid '60s I think)
  3. No raised surround (updated forging die).
er, I don't mean those are the only 3 kinds, I mean those are 3 kinds you'll see, among others. The very oldest dropouts for example do not have the hole or the surround because they predate the Cambio Sport.

This one in the photo got brazed onto a real 1950s frame that originally had the hanger with the hole, but some DAPO hacksawed the hanger off many years ago. That bike even got a hybrid Record/Sport Frankenmech with the sprung upper, so the hole is being used for its intended purpose.

Mark B in Seattle
Old 12-29-20, 05:08 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Campagnolo Article 80/1.

That looks like the Campy part Peter Dreesens applied to my 1974 Crescent 319 when I first got it. He had a box of them too. A PO had chopped off the hanger from its Suntour GS dropout. Peter did great fitting it with the 26mm drop I asked for. Silver soldered it on using plenty of damp rags to cool and protect the paint of the frame. Lo these many rears and miles later the bike is still doing great. Good as new.

Nice work fitting one to the stamped DO.
Old 12-29-20, 08:52 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
I missed this the first time around, what a project! Looking on with interest, always fun to watch as the story develops.
Old 12-29-20, 11:24 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts

And I say this: Ding!

There was a bin of them on the braze-on shelf at Euro-Asia Imports... 30 years ago. I bet they're still there.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-13-22, 06:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Update! Paint job completed

The customer dropped this frame off at Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol, England (He lives across the river in Cardiff, Wales). Like many good things, the wait was worth it, I believe.

Pix from the Argos Instagram account:

I'm always honored when customers go for an expensive wet paint job on top of my work.

The build is next!
Old 07-13-22, 09:20 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,381 Times in 3,669 Posts
The customer dropped this frame off at Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol, England (He lives across the river in Cardiff, Wales). Like many good things, the wait was worth it, I believe.

Pix from the Argos Instagram account:

I'm always honored when customers go for an expensive wet paint job on top of my work.

The build is next!
H**Y CRAP!

That is flippin awesome, one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

Old 07-13-22, 10:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Way damn cool!
Old 07-14-22, 12:44 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
I'm in love.
Old 07-14-22, 12:49 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
This has to be the all-time great zombie thread.

Fantastic work, @gugie. You should be very proud.
Old 07-14-22, 09:13 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Thanks! A top notch wet paint job would make a Firenze look great.
Old 07-14-22, 09:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Thanks! A top notch wet paint job would make a Firenze look great.
Old 07-14-22, 10:45 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
And here's what is in that building now . . . . For those of us who remember Matthews, this is probably a step up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.