Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Teen training too hard

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Teen training too hard

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 07:11 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
lol I don't feel you incited or irritated anyone. Sorry if my responses sounded like that

I am quite sure that there are no studies on 13 year olds and high mileage cycling because I mean, they don't do it. This kid must be 1 in a million or more

the studies I've seen on youth sports mostly conclude that kids should do a variety of things to avoid over use injuries, in particular throwing a baseball over and over year after year. Kids often specialize their athletics even at a young age, especially baseball

year round tackle football? should probably be avoided because the brain can only take so many impacts

the thing that happens with a lot of kids that over do any activity is they burn out and don't reach the level their parents want for them

this kid cycling 100 miles at a time in my world is un heard of

as to what causes AFIB, it would be awesome to know that Is it developed by the activities that one engages in or is it genetic, or and this is likely, a combination of both

​​​​​​​anyway no hard feelings
Adult athletes burn out all the time, and suffer the (sometime debilitation) consequences later on in life. Kids can spring back, but that doesn't mean they're immune to burnout.

This is where the parent or coach comes in and applies some guardian wisdom to make sure they don't over do it. Of course, we can only speculate here since we don't have any of the details. But generally speaking, I see this as a parenting issue more than anything else.
Old 09-30-18, 08:22 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Did he injure himself running?

Do some research and speak to his parents. It seems to me that there is a path to optimal progress, and over training while you growth plates are still developing could do a lot of damage.

Something like "Wow, Buford is really motivated! It seems like he wants to be a competitive racer. You may want to check with a trainer and his physician (or a sports oriented physician) to make sure that his training is optimal and he doesn't overtrain and do permanent damage while his bone structure is still maturing."
Old 10-02-18, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
T you need to be spontaneous and do the things normal kids do..
SO basically, he should "spontaneously" conform to some sort of normal behavior?

"Normal kid" is an artificial construct not found in the real world.

Does this sort of hilarious nonsense come naturally to you?
Old 10-02-18, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This. At 13 he's too young to be that intense. My philosophy is you're only a kid once, so you need to be spontaneous and do the things normal kids do.

Sure lets just bubble wrap them and keep them safe in the basement in front a TV and let them play with Barbie dolls....13 is not exactly a kid anymore, it's a perfect time to start building a foundation of fitness and athleticism. Our modern kids and teenagers in todays world are overprotected and desensitized from reality of physical hardships...Physical hardship and hard intense exercise is a good thing, it develops self-discipline, develops determination, builds strong mind and strong body.
Old 10-02-18, 04:33 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
Have there been any studies done of 13 year old cyclists training too hard? Doing 100 mile plus rides with 2-3 mile hills with a 7-9 percent grade? Can anyone point me to some studies. I know a kid who does this kind of training frequently. He is very intense and self motivated. No one is pressuring him. Before he became a cyclist he was the say way running cross country. Extremely competitive in everything. I am concerned. Should I? His parents are in awe of his accomplishments....
It's an area that is completely understudied and needs a lot of research; fortunately it's starting to get some attention, as kids - children - are having a lot of chronic injuries seen in adult athletes. Knees, shoulders, backs, etc. - across a range of sports, such as American football, rugby, baseball, and soccer.

I would doubt that coaches at high-school level have the competence to understand what is appropriate for developing athletes. I would suspect their motives are more related to short-term athletic success, than to the long-term health of participants.
Old 10-02-18, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My 14-year old son races bikes and plays competitive U-16 soccer (he's playing up a year in age). A couple of things: some 13-year olds are still little kids and others are pretty grown. So it's difficult to say whether 100 miles is too much for this particular 13-year old. Maybe it is, maybe it's not. Depends on the kid.

I've taken my kid on the local B ride many times: usually more than 50 miles, most of it at race pace. I've no doubt that he could do a century with a group at a reasonable pace. It couldn't be as tiring as 120 minutes at wingback, which he did Saturday in a tournament.

Last edited by caloso; 10-02-18 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-02-18, 04:38 PM
DGoodrow

Location: Just up the road from the Withlacoochee Trail-Holder Trailhead

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From a parental point of view, I would be more concerned about a thirteen year old being potentially fifty miles away from the house.
Old 10-02-18, 09:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
SO basically, he should "spontaneously" conform to some sort of normal behavior?

"Normal kid" is an artificial construct not found in the real world.

Does this sort of hilarious nonsense come naturally to you?
As an adult you have the choice to be an anarchist. A kid of 13 still needs adult guidance. Perhaps you might want to consider what that's like?
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Sure lets just bubble wrap them and keep them safe in the basement in front a TV and let them play with Barbie dolls....13 is not exactly a kid anymore, it's a perfect time to start building a foundation of fitness and athleticism. Our modern kids and teenagers in todays world are overprotected and desensitized from reality of physical hardships...Physical hardship and hard intense exercise is a good thing, it develops self-discipline, develops determination, builds strong mind and strong body.
Those are your words, not mine. In any event, I've never said there's anything wrong with physical exercise at that age, as long as its within reason.
Old 10-03-18, 08:25 AM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdadams1
Have there been any studies done of 13 year old cyclists training too hard? Doing 100 mile plus rides with 2-3 mile hills with a 7-9 percent grade? Can anyone point me to some studies. I know a kid who does this kind of training frequently. He is very intense and self motivated. No one is pressuring him. Before he became a cyclist he was the say way running cross country. Extremely competitive in everything. I am concerned. Should I? His parents are in awe of his accomplishments....
I say good for him. When I was a kid we rode our bikes everywhere, Mom and Dad didn't run us into town, we rode our bikes. If we were coming home after dark they came in and picked us and our bikes up. I never remember a hill being to hard or to long at 13.
Old 10-03-18, 08:41 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock71
I say good for him. When I was a kid we rode our bikes everywhere, Mom and Dad didn't run us into town, we rode our bikes. If we were coming home after dark they came in and picked us and our bikes up. I never remember a hill being to hard or to long at 13.
I'm thinking the same way
Old 10-03-18, 11:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

As an adult you have the choice to be an anarchist. A kid of 13 still needs adult guidance. Perhaps you might want to consider what that's like?.
I've raised 2 kids, never said they don't need guidance. You, on the other hand, are going way beyond that and prescribing what is right for all kids, and doing so based on a rationale that's self-contradictory--i.e., you're going to stop them from what they want to do so they can be spontaneous like a "normal kid". If you''re having trouble figuring out the contradiction, maybe you should look up the word "spontaneous".

I think the notion that you can prescribe the right level of activity for all kids as if they were the same is precisely the same kind of absurd one-size-fits-all nonsense you're always posting, and your reference to a "normal kid" tells me you probably have little to no experience parenting or you'd know there ain't no such animal.

The OP wasn't asking about his/her own kid, BTW. As there isn't any child endangerment or abuse going on here, it's literally none of yours or my business what the kid's parents allow him to do. Only someone with a "wannabee guru complex" such as yourself would weigh in like that with such a blanket pronouncement.
Old 10-03-18, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rock71
I'm thinking that if the kid is having a good time, and the parents see no reason for concern, I totally agree with you.

No one would think about this twice if this kid was playing basketball with his friends all day. Second-guessing parents is too popular in this era.
Old 10-03-18, 11:15 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
My initial reaction was that 100 miles isn't all that extreme for a kid, unless it's every day or something like that, and it's up to the kid's parents and/or coach to decide what's appropriate. However, I think it raises a good question. Could that much time on a bike, day in and day out, be otherwise harmful to a kid at that stage of physical development? Specifically since it's non-load bearing exercise with restricted motion, and he's not physically fully developed yet. I don't know, but if it were my kid I'd be strongly inclined to insist on frequent alternative exercise.
Old 10-03-18, 11:23 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think that's absolutely right. Kids need a variety of activities. My son is soccer crazy and would play year round if we let him, so cycling is actually his other activity. We're also encouraging him to look at track or rugby in the spring.
Old 10-03-18, 11:47 AM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fewer and fewer multi sport athletes today. Kids that really want to excel figure out where their strengths are and then go for it. I have a cousin that has a 12 year old son that played 90 little league games last summer. Gymnasts start as early as 3 or 4, wrestlers and young golfers the same.
Old 10-03-18, 12:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by wphamilton
My initial reaction was that 100 miles isn't all that extreme for a kid, unless it's every day or something like that, and it's up to the kid's parents and/or coach to decide what's appropriate. However, I think it raises a good question. Could that much time on a bike, day in and day out, be otherwise harmful to a kid at that stage of physical development? Specifically since it's non-load bearing exercise with restricted motion, and he's not physically fully developed yet. I don't know, but if it were my kid I'd be strongly inclined to insist on frequent alternative exercise.

Well, presumably, the kid also walks when he's not on the bike, so I doubt he's suffering any ill effects from time engaging in non-load bearing exercises.

As people have stated, I doubt there's any real data on this, and the "dangers" seem too speculative to be taken seriously.

This kid could bike for a 100 miles and not incur one tenth the danger he'd experience in one down of a football game.
Old 10-03-18, 12:55 PM
wphamilton

Well, presumably, the kid also walks when he's not on the bike, so I doubt he's suffering any ill effects from time engaging in non-load bearing exercises.
Long term cyclists do suffer from low bone density, even though they also presumably walk when off the bike.

As people have stated, I doubt there's any real data on this, and the "dangers" seem too speculative to be taken seriously.

This kid could bike for a 100 miles and not incur one tenth the danger he'd experience in one down of a football game.
There is data, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/ enough that it's a realistic concern. The meta-study also raised the concern about development among junior cyclists. I'll just quote that section:

Junior Cyclists

Up to 60% of peak bone mass is acquired during the peripubertal years, and peak bone mass is a significant predictor of postmenopausal osteoporosis.14,17,18 There is obvious concern for optimal bone health in junior athletes who participate partly or exclusively in nonweightbearing sports. Adolescent female cyclists have had lumbar spine and femoral neck BMD similar to that of their inactive sedentary peers, although their running peers had higher femoral neck BMD.6 There are potential long-term consequences if adolescents achieve lower peak BMD. Numerous studies in children and adolescents have demonstrated that simple short-duration jumping activities positively affect bone health.11,22 There are no long-term longitudinal studies evaluating BMD in elite young athletes who begin cycling exclusively at a preadolescent or adolescent age.
Old 10-03-18, 12:58 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Reading the book by Graeme Obree, he did a lot of long distance touring at a young age. Pretty sure around that age.

I would stay longer distance stuff wouldn't be the concern, but the gasping intervals. Or, a kid's maturity around cars.

Kids play soccer. By 13 we were doing wind sprints and running a 5k at practice by that age. Not including on-the-field drills.

I don't think riding for 50mi "touring" is any harder than a really tough 1 hour soccer practice.

Shoot, by 14 summer soccer camp was 2-a-day practices and conditioning.
Old 10-03-18, 01:35 PM
Rock71

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree. I would be more worried with contact sports
Old 10-03-18, 01:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Long term cyclists do suffer from low bone density, even though they also presumably walk when off the bike.

There is data, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/ enough that it's a realistic concern. The meta-study also raised the concern about development among junior cyclists. I'll just quote that section:

So looking at that, what I'm seeing is they have data that show that adolescent female cyclists aren't getting better bone density than sedentary youth, not that large amounts of cycling is harmful, and that even small amounts of higher impact activity are associated with higher bone density. So, the worst you can say about biking 100 miles based on that is it doesn't benefit bone mass. Let the kid bike as much as he wants, then have him take a brisk walk or do jumping jacks.

Given that the odds of a woman developing osteoporosis is about 4 times that of a man, I'd also question whether this study has any relevance for the risks to a boy.
Old 10-03-18, 01:46 PM
wphamilton

So looking at that, what I'm seeing is they have data that show that adolescent female cyclists aren't getting better bone density than sedentary youth, not that large amounts of cycling is harmful, and that even small amounts of higher impact activity are associated with higher bone density. So, the worst you can say about biking 100 miles based on that is it doesn't benefit bone mass. Let the kid bike as much as he wants, then have him take a brisk walk or do jumping jacks.
That was my inclination also. I'd be strongly inclined to insist that the kid does additional, alternative exercise.

Given that the odds of a woman developing osteoporosis is about 4 times that of a man, I'd also question whether this study has any relevance for the risks to a boy.
The study wasn't about women. That section was almost parenthetical.
Old 10-03-18, 01:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That was my inclination also. I'd be strongly inclined to insist that the kid does additional, alternative exercise.

The study wasn't about women. That section was almost parenthetical.

Specifically, it mentioned a study of adolescent female cyclists. I should have transitioned from the meta to the specific, but it really was the only cycling study they discussed.

Agree with the alternate exercises, but you know they hit 14 1/2 and completely ignore your coaching, right?
Old 10-03-18, 02:08 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts

Osteoporosis in adolescent girls...IS... or SHOULD BE... cause for health concern.
Old 10-03-18, 02:17 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
These articles discuss the general effects of extreme endurance exercise and its effect on the heart
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331299/
https://www.drjohnm.org/2011/03/cw-that-exercise-has-an-upper-limit-makes-perfect-sense/

While is no one study that specifically uses 13-yr old boys, there is evidence that extreme endurance activities may in fact be bad for the heart and body. And there are some anecdotes of marathon runners collapsing due to a cardiac arrest during the competition. How much is too much? Well this seems to be the $1 million dollar question that science has yet to pin down. But to completely ignore the evidence like most in here is just completely stupid.
Old 10-03-18, 02:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by aclinjury
Osteoporosis in adolescent girls...IS... or SHOULD BE... cause for health concern.

Which would have been a good point if the OP hadn't been about a boy.

Still think you get the same conclusion for a girl, though, which is the biking isn't going to hurt them, but they would need to do some jumping jacks or the like if they want to promote bone mass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.