Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 05:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
School bus drivers are one of the worst, most of them shouldn't be allowed to operate a school bus.
Old 10-25-18, 06:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
A lot of cyclists say that if it is a black doge dually, they they will have a gun under their seat and will shoot you dead. Funny they say that, because when I was 5 I had a friend who's dad drove one and he was a cyclist. He also owned a titanium bike company, and was a designer for diamondback. That was long ago and I hardly remember it. All that I really remember is that he took the inner tubes out of the dually or something and used them as river tubes.
Ok, but you haven't indicated whether your friend's dad did in fact have a gun under his seat, and how he treated other cyclists on the road.
Old 10-25-18, 07:30 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I must be blessed. I can count the number of hostile encounters with vehicles over the past decade on one hand.

Here is a video with a typical encounter with a highway department truck in my area. The pass comes at just after the one minute mark. Notice how far he moves over. Typical of 99.9% of the encounters I have on rural roads and highways around here.

BTW lots of large pickups around here, many driven by caucasian men and only once had one commit an intentionally hostile act (threw something at me after he had to wait a couple of seconds for me to cross an intersection when I had the right of way). I don't think it had anything to do with what he was driving, his gender nor his race. My guess is he was just an *******.
Old 10-25-18, 08:09 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Does the OP have any better topics? Do they even have a bike?

Why do they start rants in anyplace but Foo?

And What About Naomi?

Stay tuned for the next episode of Love Of Chair!

Hey you guyyyyyyyyys!
Old 10-25-18, 08:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Well...studies show that Audi drivers are the biggest d1cks on the road, followed by BMW drivers. Hey, I don't make this stuff up.
Well, maybe A4? Other Audis are rare.

Originally Posted by raceboy
The drivers are mostly pretty aware by me. But I’d say pickups and SUVs are neck and neck. Not far behind, in my experience, are Prius drivers!
You started off with a bullseye, then went left filed. Prius drivers? These are some of the most passive drives on the road.

I will add that these pickup/SUV (esp. full-size) are not broken down. The majority are late models. Last but not least are performance cars. However I should add that only the above two are reckless i.e. try to clip you or run you off the road. My encounters have only been those two.
Old 10-25-18, 08:20 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This is the guy that creamed four cyclists near Petaluma last year. I rode by shortly after & talked to some eyewitnesses.

He's in jail now, but by the time he's released, a couple of the cyclists that he hit will still be dealing with their injuries.

Old 10-25-18, 08:20 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. You know, in PA, where I live, we have a 4' passing law. I have taken three tours across the sate. Pickup drivers in rural areas are almost universally courteous. Same when I tour out west in places like Montana, where pickups are a plenty. During one such tour, the GF and I had just started out on a 20 mile section of dirt/sandy road. A man driving a pickup was coming the other way, kicking up a large dust plume. He actually slowed down until we passed so we wouldn't get caught in his trail.
Agreed for the most part. The CUMMINS dodge diesel belchers on the other hand seem to like to black out the sun when they pass, though I don't know how much of that is specific to cyclist passes or just being an inconsiderate moron. The unmodified personal trucks driven by middle or old guys usually seem a little better. Much better than the non-truck of the same age bracket.
Old 10-25-18, 08:23 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
This topic is adversarial and subjective and should be closed.

Again, does the OP actually have a bike or are they here to stir things up?

They also post these things just about anywhere which takes moderators time and effort and stretches it across more points than they really need.

If this is to be a legitimate topic it would also belong in Advocacy & Safety.
Old 10-25-18, 09:06 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Off piste pista
Beat up old American pickup trucks. And the drivers are always white men. This is what the people who are always trying to hit me with their trucks drive.

I was on the roads of rural Colorado, or Colorado's little Alabama when a truck just like this drove up at me at about 120mph and tried to run me off a ditch. I swerved out and he drove away. There were a bunch of white supremacist stickers on the rear windshield.
That truck isn't capable of going 120 mph. '70's Ford 3/4 ton wouldn't be geared to hit 100, much less have the "twin I Beam" front end let it stay on the road.
Old 10-25-18, 09:33 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
The short guys (in construction or whatever, always wearing a baseball cap) driving massive crew cab pickup trucks with the Hemi engines. I think they're Hemi anyways - the whirring compressor kind of sound out the exhaust, you know? They love flooring it as they pass around you.
Old 10-25-18, 09:46 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
White SUVs. I'm not even kidding. This is a weekly if not daily thing. Almost got creamed by one with the license plate PACKERZZZ the other day.

Milk trucks are pretty awful too. They scare me because they take the curves hard and they're, um, full of milk.

I remember the Prius situation being pretty bad a few years back, especially in Colorado and California. Here in western Wisconsin, they're mostly okay, but then again, half the Priuses (or is the plural Prii?) are half covered in rust.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Pickup drivers in rural areas are almost universally courteous.
That's been my experience as well, at least riding where I do now (western Wisconsin, southeastern Minnesota, and northeastern Iowa.) Granted, I've had two bad run-ins with pickup trucks, but that's two, total, in the past five years. The guys in pickups are the ones who wave, give extra room, and in town, stop and chat at a red light.

Also, ****.
Old 10-26-18, 04:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
This truck had seen better days.

Old 10-26-18, 04:57 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
FACT: Out of the 5 aggressive incidents I have experienced with motorist, two were pickup trucks and three were SUV. I'm not saying exactly what the connection is, but with so many people making the same claim, there has to be something undeniable there.
Old 10-26-18, 05:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Not sure any more adversarial of a thread than some of the CF vs XX material, Disc vs Rim brake, tire pressure, tubeless v clincher, etc... Actually there's very little arguing going on in this thread.
And I think this thread can belong here as I do feel there's a different view of motorists looking at spandex-clad road riders, than Mrs Jenkins on her city bike with groceries in her handlebar basket. So it's a safety issue / road riding experience thread related to roadie cycling.
Old 10-26-18, 05:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure any more adversarial of a thread than some of the CF vs XX material, Disc vs Rim brake, tire pressure, tubeless v clincher, etc... Actually there's very little arguing going on in this thread.
And I think this thread can belong here as I do feel there's a different view of motorists looking at spandex-clad road riders, than Mrs Jenkins on her city bike with groceries in her handlebar basket. So it's a safety issue / road riding experience thread related to roadie cycling.
pull a kid trailer and all of a sudden that 3' pass turns into a 6' + pass and they pass at half the speed they normally pass at.

so if drivers do that when they think there is a child there, I can see how they would treat the annoying Spandex people worse.

Then again there is a local group I refuse to ride with, shouting "car back" at them is worthless. I think shouting "car back" makes one of them (leader) move left rather than moving right. I have came up behind them in a car before. they are annoying and do more harm to the image of cyclist than good.

I generally ride in the middle of our rural roads, when a car is behind me I move right, wave, and so far have decent passes. on Driving, I also grew up in an era where people didn't double park, people merged, people yielded, courtesy was first! now days its all about road rage. Drivers against drivers, whos horn is the loudest. I don't know if cars actually hate cyclist or if it is just people hating people because they don't have 2 parents anymore.
Old 10-26-18, 05:28 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

They also post these things just about anywhere which takes moderators time and effort and stretches it across more points than they really need.

Seems like you're the one being adversarial here.
Old 10-26-18, 05:31 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I also find construction vehicles usually give me a wide berth when passing.
School bus drivers--hit and miss, not literally, of course.
Pick-up trucks--no issues, unless they were Toyota Tundras.

This was just yesterday.
Old 10-26-18, 10:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
What specific type of car or truck do people who hate cyclists the most drive?I don’t think you’'ll find road signs more welcoming than the one pictured below in Metro Boston, where the streets are paved with gold.

The Boston area has both some of the best and some of the worst urban riding in the US, often within blocks of each other. The most jarring example of this I can think of is transitioning from the Paul Dudley White/Charles River Greenway paths to Watertown Square, an intersection "designed" to create pedestrian fatalities and nasty conflicts, the recent pedestrian death followed by a stabbing just being the latest iteration of its horrors.
Old 10-26-18, 11:52 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
pull a kid trailer and all of a sudden that 3' pass turns into a 6' + pass and they pass at half the speed they normally pass at.

so if drivers do that when they think there is a child there, I can see how they would treat the annoying Spandex people worse.

Then again there is a local group I refuse to ride with, shouting "car back" at them is worthless. I think shouting "car back" makes one of them (leader) move left rather than moving right. I have came up behind them in a car before. they are annoying and do more harm to the image of cyclist than good.

I generally ride in the middle of our rural roads, when a car is behind me I move right, wave, and so far have decent passes. on Driving, I also grew up in an era where people didn't double park, people merged, people yielded, courtesy was first! now days its all about road rage. Drivers against drivers, whos horn is the loudest. I don't know if cars actually hate cyclist or if it is just people hating people because they don't have 2 parents anymore.
Yeah, I noticed that about the kiddie trailer when I was pulling my daughter in one. If I decide to convert it for cargo/touring use (she's 11 now...), I may leave it looking as it is, just for traffic avoidance.

wipekitty, I used to drive milk trucks, and not only are they full of milk, but being food-grade tankers, they aren't baffled inside, so the sloshing milk inside can cause all sorts of handling issues with sloppy drivers.
Old 10-26-18, 12:04 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Yeah, I noticed that about the kiddie trailer when I was pulling my daughter in one. If I decide to convert it for cargo/touring use (she's 11 now...), I may leave it looking as it is, just for traffic avoidance.

wipekitty, I used to drive milk trucks, and not only are they full of milk, but being food-grade tankers, they aren't baffled inside, so the sloshing milk inside can cause all sorts of handling issues with sloppy drivers.
I have at least a decade worth of pulling open bore tanker trailers behind me as well, and while the surge is another factor for the driver to deal with, doing so is all part of being a professional, and it's not something the public should have to think about.
Old 10-26-18, 12:05 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I have at least a decade worth of pulling open bore tanker trailers behind me as well, and while the surge is another factor for the driver to deal with, doing so is all part of being a professional, and it's not something the public should have to think about.
I'm in full agreement with you, but reality being what it is....
Old 10-26-18, 12:16 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts
not to be political BUT depending on where when and your skin these vehicles are often hazardous encounters
Old 10-26-18, 12:25 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by seamuis

Lol at such an absurd assumption. I don’t know if I’m supposed to be flattered or offended at this remark. First of all, I’m divorced, but my ex-wife is Fil-British and lives in London. Secondly, I’m single and other than my ex-wife, I haven’t had a relationship since I was in high school. I mean, you really thought this was a smart assumption? Good god, that’s hilarious. Look mate, I live in the south, and there are very few places in the south that are ‘friendly’ to cyclists. I’m also a full time commuter, so I’m on the road every single day.

every one of these things has actually happened. They’ve all been white males in trucks. It’s jist a fact. The guy who tried to run me over, testified in court that he didn’t know me, and I didn’t know him. It was all captured on the cycliq cameras that I have on my road bike. For the record, I’m a courteous cyclist who obeys all traffic laws, and a volunteer mechanic and board member of my cities bicycle advocacy assoc. i mean Jesus man, I literally laughed out loud in a restaurant, reading that nonsense. I think I struck a nerve and you feel personally attacked, which is pretty pathetic. Also, I have no disdain for any vehicle. I’m from Texas. I used to own a Silverado 1500 Z71. Thanks for the laugh though.
It's all good and I hope it did give you a laugh. Yours did me.
Old 10-26-18, 12:30 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metieval
Turbo? you are welcome to roll by me as many times as you want!!!!
Compound actually, and yes they give out a very pretty sound when they spool up.
Old 10-26-18, 12:32 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts

If you don't like the topic, you have the option of shutting up and leaving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.