Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Magicshine clone light/battery pack question

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-18, 09:28 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a cheap Magicshine clone light. With these lights, is the circuitry that cuts off the light when the battery pack is nearly discharged built into the light itself, or the battery pack? Or maybe both?

I was thinking about buying a water-resistant 4-slot 18650 battery holder designed for bike use, but one I was looking at doesn't appear to have built-in undervoltage protection. I can buy protected cells to put in the holder, which is fine, but could also try reusing some unprotected cells that I have. But I don't want to risk over-discharging any non-protected cells I may use.

The appeal for me is to be able to put the cells in a high quality charger that I know will charge them correctly individually each time. I know I can get 4-cell battery packs cheaper than the holder + batteries....

Thanks!
Old 02-06-18, 09:06 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I have two such lights, a one and five CREE XML-T6 bike headlights and a couple of battery packs. Neither light comes apart easily. The battery packs I own are exactly the right size to be made from four and six 18650 cells and there is no extra room for electronics. My bet is that the controller circuit is behind the LED module in the lamp head. Frankly I never use either light as I quickly became disillusioned by the battery pack and cord being a PIA to deal with. You might take your question to BudgetLightForums.com. There is a group of dedicated light modders there Flashlight Modding and DIY Parts | BudgetLightForum.com who would surely know the answer to your question. I generally use a CREE XML-T6 flashlight for my front light. Flashlight and secure flashlight holder (w/o 18650 battery) were well under $10. No cords, easy on and off, very secure, and plenty bright.
Old 02-06-18, 10:45 AM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
I have a cheap Magicshine clone light.
With these lights, is the circuitry that cuts off the light when the battery pack is nearly discharged built into the light itself, or the battery pack? Or maybe both?
You can expect booth don't have any circuit. Magicshine is already cheap for the delivered quality, so a copy can't be good.
Stick with protected 18650-cells and your good cell charger and you won't get any problems.
Old 02-06-18, 11:11 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by angerdan
You can expect booth don't have any circuit. Magicshine is already cheap for the delivered quality, so a copy can't be good.
Stick with protected 18650-cells and your good cell charger and you won't get any problems.
Well, I'm sure the light does alert you via a red LED, and cuts the output, when the battery pack is low. I guess it will shut the light off entirely at some point, although I haven't ever tested that. Thinking about it some more, that functionality must be built into the light, and not the battery pack. That might be enough protection on its own for the batteries, but protected cells would be good insurance.
Old 02-06-18, 11:31 AM
Spld cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
I have two such lights, a one and five CREE XML-T6 bike headlights and a couple of battery packs. Neither light comes apart easily. The battery packs I own are exactly the right size to be made from four and six 18650 cells and there is no extra room for electronics. My bet is that the controller circuit is behind the LED module in the lamp head. Frankly I never use either light as I quickly became disillusioned by the battery pack and cord being a PIA to deal with. You might take your question to BudgetLightForums.com. There is a group of dedicated light modders there Flashlight Modding and DIY Parts | BudgetLightForum.com who would surely know the answer to your question. I generally use a CREE XML-T6 flashlight for my front light. Flashlight and secure flashlight holder (w/o 18650 battery) were well under $10. No cords, easy on and off, very secure, and plenty bright.
Thanks. I think you're right that the controller circuit is in the light.

I agree that these lights are something of a PIA. I usually use a Serfas True 500+ on my handlebars (very easy on/off) and a single-18650 cell flashlight on my helmet. I have the clone light partly for backup purposes and partly for when I want longer run time before changing the batteries. Also, I can bring my bike into a secure area of my building at work, so I can just leave the light and battery pack on the bike during the day. These clone lights aren't great in some ways, but I think they're useful enough to keep one around.
Old 02-06-18, 01:55 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
mtbr has a great light forum with many MANY threads on batteries including people taking them apart and building new ones like you are talking about. I'd suggest you go there instead of here.