Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2016 Felt F75 headset replacement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-22, 09:05 AM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 2016 Felt F75 with an indexed headset. Tightening the adjustment bolt just enough to remove play results in pretty significant indexing. In the past when I've reached this point, it's an indication that a new headset (or bearings) are needed. The headset has >30000 outdoor miles on it.

Felt's documentation regarding suitable replacements is confusing on this. I'm hoping a mechanic, someone with experience with this, or someone from Felt can help me find an answer. Felt has been slow to respond to by inquiry through their website. I see they are in the middle of a major warehouse move so I assume that may be the reason.

I tracked down the 2016 catalog and found the headset is listed as:

"FSA NO.38/42B-Cup, 1.125" - 1.5" sealed cartridge bearing w/ Felt VariableHeight Cone Spacers (20mm PC, 4.5mm aluminum), 1x 10mm + 2 x 5mm PC headset spacers, Felt compression device, Felt top cap & aluminum bolt"

The "FSA NO.38/42B-Cup" specification in the catalog is confusing. Does that mean either a 38 or 42 would work? And nowhere else is there a reference to a "42B-Cup." Googling it yields only bountiful images of women's bras...

The Felt headset replacement guide, active on their website, specifies headset model FSA NO.42 as the replacement and points to this: SPARE PARTS BIKE SPARE PART - Felt Bicycles

This is confusing too, though, because the 2016 Felt F75 is an all aluminum frame with a carbon fork and aluminum steerer. The guide only specifies carbon/aluminum frames in that date range. I have to assume they are including the for material in their frame description.

OK, so, looks like FSA model NO. 42 is a good bet, right? But upon taking a peek at the actual headset in the bike, the lower bearing is a seemingly generic, unsealed retainer ring in a generic cup. What's the deal with that?

Question 1: I'd like to have a sealed cartridge bearing headset, if possible, so I can simply swap out bearings over time. Can I just remove whatever is in there currently and replace it with the specified FSA NO. 42 headset? Or am I stuck with using generic, unsealed retainer rings and having to replace the whole headset every time?

Question 2: It looks like FSA NO 42 bearings that would work are: lower: TH073 Headset Bearing (By FSA), and upper: TH870E (MR121) Headset Bearing (By FSA). (Understanding part numbers change between manufacturers) Can anyone confirm that?
Old 03-18-22, 11:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I'm not crazy about FSA headsets in general and far prefer either Cane Creek's 40 series for reasonable cost and Chris King if cost is not an issue. I'd contact Cane Creek and ask them what headset model fits your Felt bike.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-18-22, 01:17 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2008 Mercier Corvus Steel, 2006 Trek 4300, 1985 Trek 620 (modernized)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm not crazy about FSA headsets in general and far prefer either Cane Creek's 40 series for reasonable cost and Chris King if cost is not an issue. I'd contact Cane Creek and ask them what headset model fits your Felt bike.
I agree, though at this point, Felt has been really unclear what headset models will actually work.
Old 03-18-22, 01:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
The usual way to determine actual bearing size and spec is to take them out and measure. Then there's no chance the component wasn't changed from what was published is some spec book. I suspect much of the spec you read in the "book" is about the cups and their interfacing with spacers and such and not the actual bearings. There's a very good possibility that the same bearing cartridge is uses through a series of headset models. Andy

PS- IIRC Felt changed hands recently. If so don't be surprised if there are hick ups in communication or dealings with the current version of Felt when an old model is the subject.
Old 08-18-23, 10:38 AM
rb33zy

Bikes: 2016 Felt F75, 2013 Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod, 2000 Litespeed Blue Ridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updating this thread to help out future google searchers -

I have this bike and after 40,000mi the headset was getting a lot of play and had a a lot of wear and brinelling on the races. I found the same bearing cage and pressed in headset cups which also surprised me.
If you remove the headset cups, underneath is a beautiful machined 45 degree surface that accepts Cane Creek style integrated bearings. I measured the headtube as 42/52 mm and ordered a Chris King Dropset 2 headset. It fits perfectly and works great.
Old 08-20-23, 05:35 PM
Indytriumph

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 1987 Schwinn Prologue, 2016 Felt Z5, 2022 Vaast A/1, 2023 STS ADVNTR PRO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 18 Posts
Thank you for the update. I have a 2016 Felt Z5 that needs the headset bearings replaced as well. I came here for help and your post popped up. Man, I love this forum!

Tom

Originally Posted by rb33zy
Updating this thread to help out future google searchers -

I have this bike and after 40,000mi the headset was getting a lot of play and had a a lot of wear and brinelling on the races. I found the same bearing cage and pressed in headset cups which also surprised me.
If you remove the headset cups, underneath is a beautiful machined 45 degree surface that accepts Cane Creek style integrated bearings. I measured the headtube as 42/52 mm and ordered a Chris King Dropset 2 headset. It fits perfectly and works great.
Old 08-21-23, 01:12 PM
DArthurBrown
Chasing the horizon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, all, for continuing to bump and use this thread.

I eventually got this sorted on my Felt F75 and wanted to share a few bits of information for any wayward browsers trying to track down this answer in the future.

The frame used on my F75 is the same as the frame used on higher-end aluminum Felt frames from the same era. Other riders had pointed this out, but I managed to confirm it with Felt through my local bike shop. Only the bottom bracket shell and headtube lip are different on several models. The same headset should fit many models from this era, +/- a couple years.

The shop pulled everything apart and found that the following headset fit my F75:

Cane Creek 40 IS42/28.6 / IS52/40 Tall Cover Headset Black

That matches the 42/52 headset models described above.

My bike has no bottom lip on the headtube outside the bottom headset cup. It seems that was intentional to let them swap in a cheaper headset that has its own lip without having to change anything else. I know many bike companies do this, but it's still a sketchy practice. It also means you need to make sure the replacement headsets (if they don't have a lip) press very firmly and evenly into the frame, otherwise it will creak like hell or yield some play after a ride or two. Either have a shop install it or use a professional headset press.