Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Comfort + bikepacking

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 07:38 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Comfort + bikepacking

I'm considering the purchase of a gravel bike but I'm having trouble making a choice.

Comfort: I'd like the gravel bike to be able to absorb the roughness of the terrain which will be limited to only gravel/dirt roads, nothing more technical than that.

Bikepacking: I'd like it to be suitable for bike packing which really means for me that it have bosses on the forks (handlebar bags, frame bags, seatbags can be fitted to virtually any bike so the fork bosses are the only specific thing).

Racing: Not for me

I'm considering the LandYaughtz AL-1 but it has an aluminum frame, which used to mean that it was stiff and somewhat unforgiving. However, it is offered with 650bx47 tires so how much softness might these tires provide? Might they be all I need?
Likes For jrickards:
Old 05-31-22, 07:57 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,090 Times in 1,183 Posts
Theres a lot of variations with gravel, from smooth to washboard. For the latter, you'd be fighting it on a full suspension mt. bike. Yes, the larger the tire, the more comfortable. Run tubeless as well, as you can get away with much lower air pressure and thats half the battle. I would not worry about aluminum vs. steel, vs. carbon. Carbon probably transmits a tad less buzz, but in reality the tire size and air pressure are the determining factors with comfort.

FWIW, I have a Cannondale Topstone aluminum 105 bike. Ive had it on single track with roots, don't find the aluminum harsh, they do great things with aluminum these days, highly recommend this bike as well. It will handle a 45mm tire in the rear.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 05-31-22, 09:01 AM
balrog687

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You can increase comfort in two ways, passive suspension aka bigger tires, or active suspension.

On the passive side of things, look for the biggest possible tire, 650x47 is pretty standard on the gravel realm, but some specific bikes offer more than that. My surly straggler fits 700x50 on the front, and the salsa Fargo can fit 29x3.0. Tire "softness" is also a big factor, Panaracer and Rene herse make really soft tires.

Dampening caused by flex on steel forks, or magical properties of carbon forks is negligible compared to tire deflection at lower pressure

On the active side of things, you can add a suspension seatpost like the cane creek esilk, specialized diverge has the 20mm future shock, canyon grizl has a 30mm rock shox rudy, and you can also fit a lauf grit fork, or a fox 32 TC for 40-50mm of travel. On those forks, you can still attach some cages using straps or clamps, like topeak versamount.
Old 05-31-22, 09:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by balrog687
salsa Fargo can fit 29x3.0
wow that sounds fun!
Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post