Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bike tours and carfree vacations

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bike tours and carfree vacations

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 02:25 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I was backpacking in the Eagle Cap Wilderness Area (NE Oregon) car-free last week from Tue. morning to Friday afternoon. But it was a hot 6 hour drive in my buddy's car to get to the trail head.
Old 08-05-14, 11:49 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Due to illness, my partner isn't able to do longer bike rides anymore, and I'm not really into taking vacations by myself.

Instead, I've done what might be called day tours: I pick some destination, ride there, hang out for a bit, then come home. When I lived in Southern California, I frequently went to Huntington Beach (50 mile RT), and also enjoyed my trip to Crystal Cove State Park (65 mile RT). I had planned to do a day trip to San Diego the week before we moved - a 110 mile bike ride and train ride home - but I came down with a really nasty ear infection, so it never happened.

There's a few state parks around the area that I'm planning to check out - the Great River Bluffs State Park should be doable in the near future. Eventually, I'd like to take day trips to Winona, MN and maybe Decorah, IA. I know there will be some work thing or another in Madison at some point, so that would be a good excuse to ride there, especially since they really don't like to pay for car rentals.
Old 08-07-14, 10:35 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
It didn't sound like an insult; more like a subtle relegation to go somewhere else. Anyway, I know about the touring subforum but thanks for mentioning it. Have you considered that many of these sub-forums overlap topically? Bike touring is really a combination of living 'car-free' and 'home-free,' i.e. nomadically, for example.

Does the 'living car free' sub-form refer specifically to aspects of car-free living besides touring? No matter, you referenced the touring sub-forum as a resource and we're wasting thread posts discussing it further.
And it was nice to see that Machka herself got some good info here about a bike tour that she plans to take next year.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 08-09-14, 03:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
For those willing and able to travel far from home:
https://www.smartertravel.com/photo-g...ls.html?id=818
Old 08-10-14, 04:45 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
For those willing and able to travel far from home:
World's Most Beautiful Bike Trails - SmarterTravel.com
Thanks for the link. Some interesting trails to explore.

We've done parts of the North Sea route, and of the Velodessy Trail which isn't mentioned on the list. I've also had brief contact with the Munda Biddi Trail in Western Australia before it was completed.

And there is a network of trails that are reasonably well marked in Belgium, the Netherlands and France that I've thoroughly enjoyed and am looking forward to exploring again.
Old 08-18-14, 07:05 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
It's almost the end of summer in the northern hemisphere ... where have you travelled this summer?
Old 09-01-14, 04:10 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been doing just overnight camping trips all summer. Great fun though. Mainly in Dawson Forest which is a bit more than 50 miles from my home. I usually leave my house around 5 a.m. and I'm in the forest before noon and setting up my camp. Then it's an afternoon of exploring and just enjoying the sound of the Etowah River rapids near my camp.

But I am finally going to have something more like a vacation. It's only a week off work but that's still so much better than riding somewhere one day and riding home the next! I'm doing a waterfall theme this year. I've mapped out several waterfalls and campsites I want to visit. This will be so much fun. I've picked about 15 waterfalls I want to see, I think what I actually visit will be more like ten. I'm planning low milage days so I can enjoy little side trips I find along the way or just hang out and bask in the sun and mist of the Appalachians. I'm leaving on Saturday September 13 and returning Sunday September 21.

Can't wait!
Old 09-01-14, 09:24 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I've been doing just overnight camping trips all summer. Great fun though. Mainly in Dawson Forest which is a bit more than 50 miles from my home. I usually leave my house around 5 a.m. and I'm in the forest before noon and setting up my camp. Then it's an afternoon of exploring and just enjoying the sound of the Etowah River rapids near my camp.

But I am finally going to have something more like a vacation. It's only a week off work but that's still so much better than riding somewhere one day and riding home the next! I'm doing a waterfall theme this year. I've mapped out several waterfalls and campsites I want to visit. This will be so much fun. I've picked about 15 waterfalls I want to see, I think what I actually visit will be more like ten. I'm planning low milage days so I can enjoy little side trips I find along the way or just hang out and bask in the sun and mist of the Appalachians. I'm leaving on Saturday September 13 and returning Sunday September 21.

Can't wait!
That sounds awesome. Have fun and give us a full report when you get back.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 09-01-14, 09:49 PM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a car four times, but I went to Thailand and Vietnam this summer. Was a rather nice two months. Cycling in those countries was definitely a departure from the norm!
Old 09-01-14, 10:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Summer is my busy season... there has not been much time to get away but that will change.

This past weekend a group of friends got together to ride what was a 222km round trip with an overnight stay at the lake, we did this in memory of one of our friends who passed away earlier this year on the anniversary of her solo tour to California.

Getting ready... my bike is the blue Kuwahara and the copper bike is a vintage Specialized (I built that fork).

Our first rest stop after getting out of this sprawling city...

We found some roads that were not quite roads...

Slept like a baby... was snug as a bug in the bag and bivy while a few of the other folks complained of being a little cool.

We live in the land of big skies... the secondary roads are almost car free.

Got the bike ready for another out and back trip planned for Friday / Saturday... will be running lighter and tighter on what will be a 130 km round trip.

After that I'll probably be waiting until next spring... our travels will be taking us to Michigan for family matters and will need to prepare for that trip.
Old 09-21-14, 12:12 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just had a perfect week in the chattahoochee national forest. The riding was great. The views were beautiful. The camping locations were plentiful and splendidly serene. And the hot weather gave us a break down here. In fact I made an unplanned stop to buy another layer to keep warm at night. I hiked to several waterfalls and they were each wonderful in their unique expression of nature and just nourishing to my soul.

I'm back in town but can't go home without stopping to lay in the grass at Piedmont park and grove on it. Updated my blog last night at a motel.

Hello again everybody!
Old 09-21-14, 03:06 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I love pictures of happy wanderers !
Old 09-21-14, 03:58 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Nice photos!
Old 09-23-14, 12:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Wayne113
car free tour can be amazing because i have personally experienced it.
Where did you go? Do you have photos?
Old 09-23-14, 02:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
<Pictures on Film>

AMS Shiphol airport NL it is a Ride away on the same bike paths the locals use to go to work at the same airport..

and you have the National Rail system station in the lowest level directly under the Building to begin your trip anywhere in Europe.

Probably connect with the Chunnel trains if you wanted to be in England Instead ..
Old 09-23-14, 11:56 PM
tourer78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Has anyone else here done a car-free or car-light holiday? Rowan, B.Carfree, and I can't be the only ones! I'd love to hear some other stories.
Just Finishing up 6 weeks in Eastern Europe. We have been driving from place to place, leaving the car parked when we arrive in town, and walking or cycling as the mood and weather dictates. My personal highlight was the cycle path between Kranjska Gora in Slovenia and Tarvisio in Italy, a spur of the Alpe Adria route, which would be nice to ride on a future trip. Have managed to cycle in Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Czech Republic and Slovakia. A bit sad we are now packing up the Bike Fridays and returning the car later today. Some photos here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/84448690@N06/
Old 09-28-14, 06:28 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, I'll play. Just did a week-long tour in Puget Sound. Flew into Seattle with Madame Pobble and met up with a friend who flew in from Los Angeles. The three of us took the Victoria Clipper ferry (no cars!) from Seattle to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands, renting bikes and using it as our base for four days of riding on all of the islands that are easily accessible by ferry (Orcas, Lopez, and Shaw, as well as San Juan Island itself). Light traffic, rolling hills, splendid scenery. Even though this is a popular vacation area, it was refreshingly free of billboards, chain stores, and the rest of the usual commercial razzmatazz, especially once you get out of Friday Harbor. We saw a lot of other cyclists on San Juan Island, not many on the other islands, but this was the week after Labor Day so things were probably less intense than during the high season. Car traffic was mostly relatively light and drivers were mellow.

Then we caught the Washington State Ferry from Friday Harbor to Sidney, BC, and from there it was a short bus ride to our next destination, Victoria. We stayed at the Admiral Inn, a nice, friendly hotel close to the center of things that had free loaner mountain bikes, which were not in tip-top shape after a long summer of constant use, but Crystal, the hotel's ace bike mechanic, made sure that all the necessary adjustments got made. We spent three days there, mostly riding around the city checking out parks, restaurants, food markets etc, and sharing the road with lots of other cyclists and well-behaved drivers, but we also spent a day on the Galloping Goose Trail, a partly paved, partly gravel MUP that starts near the center of town and runs for 55 km through urban, then suburban, then pastoral landscapes. Then we took the Victoria Clipper back to Seattle.

There are plenty of places to ride on Vancouver Island and I'm sure that we could have happily stayed for a week, or taken the ferry over to Vancouver city on the mainland (yeah, slightly misleading nomenclature ) and done more riding there, but for a one-week trip I can strongly recommend this as a car-free itinerary, especially for people who need to rent bikes, don't want to camp, and prefer a leisurely pace to long-distance riding, although Vancouver Island would obviously offer some longer rides too if you're looking for them.

I'm not much of a photographer, but some pix can be viewed (I hope) at
https://plus.google.com/photos/10728...90915575998065

If anybody wants/needs more detailed info, please feel free to PM me.
Old 09-28-14, 12:15 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Pobble.808
There are plenty of places to ride on Vancouver Island and I'm sure that we could have happily stayed for a week, or taken the ferry over to Vancouver city on the mainland (yeah, slightly misleading nomenclature ) and done more riding there, but for a one-week trip I can strongly recommend this as a car-free itinerary, especially for people who need to rent bikes, don't want to camp, and prefer a leisurely pace to long-distance riding, although Vancouver Island would obviously offer some longer rides too if you're looking for them.

I'm not much of a photographer, but some pix can be viewed (I hope) at
https://plus.google.com/photos/10728...90915575998065

If anybody wants/needs more detailed info, please feel free to PM me.
I've enjoyed cycling on Vancouver Island.

We're just across the water, on the mainland, right now and toyed with the idea of going over, but just not enough time.
Old 10-30-14, 06:40 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

As the northern hemisphere moves out of summer and into winter, I wonder ... did any of you do a bike tour or take a carfree vacation this year?

Or maybe you've got one planned for the winter months ... perhaps you'll fly somewhere warm and cycle from there?

[HR][/HR]

We did a little bit of hub-and-spoke stuff during our trip to Canada, but now that summer is approaching we are trying to figure out what weekends might work for a short tour or two or three.

Summer is Rowan's busy season so that'll take up several weekends, and we're hoping to be more involved in randonneuring, so that doesn't leave us a lot of free weekends, but we'll see what we can do.

Last edited by Machka; 10-30-14 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-21-15, 05:00 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

We're on a short hub-and-spoke tour now. Drive to a location, park the van at the "hub", cycle and walk from the "hub" ... the car light approach.

[HR][/HR]

Yesterday we cycled 50.73 km in northern Tasmania ... where the roads are beautiful, wonderful, and gloriously relatively flat. Flat compared with the Hobart area.

We loaded up our folders ... me with pannier and handlebar bag, and Rowan with panniers, trunk bag, and trailer filled with folding chairs, table, cooler, etc ... and cycled to Evandale for the annual Evandale Village Fair and Penny Farthing National Championship.
Evandale Village Fair & National Penny Farthing Championships - Home

We set up and spent a great day watching and photographing the Penny Farthing races.

And it was a beautiful day ... clear blue sky, high of 28C, relatively light wind. Way up north, there are two cyclones creating a swath of destruction ... they aren't directly affecting us, but they are pushing the tropical air of Queensland down to Tasmania. It is hot and humid these days.

When we got back, we did an additional exploratory ride ... and then walked to and from the local pub for a delicious dinner.

Oh yes, a highlight of the day was meeting a couple on a tandem. We got chatting with them, and found out that they've put a lot of km on their tandems (plural) ... about 200,000 km ... plus they have owned penny farthings and have also put a lot of km on them ... in the neighbourhood of 60,000. Wow!

[HR][/HR]
And today ... 43.64 km ... on our tandem!

Our tandem has been in storage pretty much constantly since June 2012 while we roamed around the world and then moved several times. Finally, at the beginning of November 2014, we got most of our stuff out of storage including the tandem ... and we were able to ride it at the end of November.

We did not have the opportunity to ride it again until about 10 days or so ago, when we set off on a test ride ... and our front tire went flat on a descent, and everything went wobbly. Rowan just managed to maintain control and we came to a stop upright and intact.

But I think that experience shook me up more than I thought.

We started the ride today, then stopped at an intersection, and just as we were about to go ... quite unexpectedly, I started shaking, my chest tightened painfully ... and I couldn't do it! I was off the bicycle in a flash.

But I wanted to get back on and try again. So we walked a little way, and then set off again ... and that time I was mostly OK, although it took me a while to settle in.

Again, the roads in northern Tasmania are lovely ... relatively flat and mostly very quiet. The first few km were a little busier, but then we turned a corner and there was hardly any traffic at all for the next 20 km or so. And then it was slightly busier at the end. So nice to be out in the country with hardly anyone around.

One additional feature of the ride ... I have a brand new Brooks saddle on the tandem. So this 43.64 km ride was my inaugural ride on that brand new Brooks. We were stopping about every 5 km or so ... so I could take a little break and stretch.

Last edited by Machka; 02-23-15 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-23-15, 09:14 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Machka
We loaded up our folders ... me with pannier and handlebar bag, and Rowan with panniers, trunk bag, and trailer filled with folding chairs, table, cooler, etc ... and cycled to Evandale for the annual Evandale Village Fair and Penny Farthing National Championship.
Evandale Village Fair & National Penny Farthing Championships - Home

And back to the "good ol' days" of cycling ...

Old 02-23-15, 09:40 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Great phots, Machka. I haven't been to an ordinary race in years. Did they do a "slow race", where the winner is the one who takes the longest without falling off? Those are always good for a chuckle. A business run by a friend of a friend makes penny farthings as a side-thing. The proprietor was jokingly accused of cheating when he showed up to a high-wheeler race with one of his creations that had a freewheeling hub.

A front tire blowout on a tandem is always problematic. It's a good thing Rowan has a few kms under his belt so he knows how to react properly. We have found that since our change to wider/lower pressure the nature of the flats is that they give much more time between puncture and control difficulties. That might be something to look at to relieve your stress. Then again, a bit of riding will likely do the trick just fine.
Old 02-23-15, 10:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Great phots, Machka. I haven't been to an ordinary race in years. Did they do a "slow race", where the winner is the one who takes the longest without falling off? Those are always good for a chuckle. A business run by a friend of a friend makes penny farthings as a side-thing. The proprietor was jokingly accused of cheating when he showed up to a high-wheeler race with one of his creations that had a freewheeling hub.

A front tire blowout on a tandem is always problematic. It's a good thing Rowan has a few kms under his belt so he knows how to react properly. We have found that since our change to wider/lower pressure the nature of the flats is that they give much more time between puncture and control difficulties. That might be something to look at to relieve your stress. Then again, a bit of riding will likely do the trick just fine.

They did have a slow race, but it was held just before we arrived so we didn't get to see it. Maybe next year.

I did wonder if they were all fixed gear or if some had freewheeling hubs.

What amazed me was the kids ... I'll post some photos of them later. But then, maybe when you're 10 you don't have the same fear as when you're older. That said, one of the best races was the 70 year old and up category ... those guys gave it everything and at the end there was a sprint photo finish.

We usually ride with somewhat lower pressure, but perhaps it was a bit too low this time.

Anyway ... the first 10 km was a little stressful, the second 10 km was a bit better, and by the time we got into the third 10 km, I was almost relaxed.
Old 03-31-15, 10:46 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

The Easter holiday is upon us ... where are you going and what method of transportation are you using to get there, or while you are there?
Old 04-03-15, 12:52 PM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
When I lived in suburban St Louis, I biked to the Amtrak station and took the train out to central Missouri, then rode along the Katy Trail over the course of several days back to St Louis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.