Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A proposed Fifty-Plus Annual Ride in Boston, Sept, 18, 2016 (don’t have to be 50+)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

A proposed Fifty-Plus Annual Ride in Boston, Sept, 18, 2016 (don’t have to be 50+)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 09:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Now that it is almost August, I should soon announce for one [Annual Fifty-Plus Ride, in Boston] on September 18, the Hub on Wheels, as in "Boston, the Hub of the Universe,", Hubway Bike Share System, etc...
I’ve been beating around the bush this summer, but now it’s time to propose.

As on previous Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, it’s a chance to meet and socialize with other subscribers in the context of an organized ride. This Hub on Wheels has been held for several years now, with mileages suitable for all riders, up to about 40 miles, and is an excellent tour of this beautiful and interesting city.

A suggested agenda is for participants to arrive as early as Friday, Sept 16 for a get together, and maybe an informal ride, same on Saturday, with Organized Ride on Sunday. On two previous Annual Rides, our subsidiary activities besides cycling were walking tours of Boston, and restaurant dinners, all by mutual agreement.

From previous Rides:

Originally Posted by miss kenton
... Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated. I would highly recommend a visit to Boston to anyone. What a beautiful city--and if you are lucky enough to have someone as conscientious, thoughtful, and generous as Jim from Boston guiding you through that trip, you'll have it made!

We were able to see some really interesting things in Boston, and Boston has agreat deal to offer. We were only there for the weekend, but I wish we had hadmore time to see the city...
Originally Posted by TheMister
I want to thank Jim for a most enjoyable tour of Boston andvicinity! Miss Kenton and I had a blast!
Enjoy the pix!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...99027202391697
Originally Posted by irwin7638
…I loved Bahstahn a bunch, one cannot really call it a college town, it is the college town and consequently has become very bike friendly. I was reallyimpressed with the bike infrastructure developed in the town and the overall safety of the city…I found the place really affordable and easy to visit…

Originally Posted by rtool
Spent a great weekend with Jim (Jim from boston…Great ride with plenty to see…Excellent ride had a real great time.
Jim took me on walking tours of Boston each evening and it was great having someone telling me all about Boston.… Very knowledgeable about Boston and passed on lots of it’s history. We also ate extremely well. Everything from fresh fish to Italian…All-in-all it was a great weekend, missed not having other 50+rs there, maybe next time.
One other item, IMO to make this a worthwhile event, I’d like to have at least four other riders besides myself. I have taken that Friday off work already, and I’d like to get a fairly firm commitment from anyone interested by about Tuesday, Sept 14 of that week. Otherwise there is a professional conference here in Boston I would like to attend on Thursday through Saturday. I still would welcome other riders, but would have less time to spend with you.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-13-16 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-12-16, 08:35 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
This sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to come, however, my sister's wedding is the following weekend. I'm playing a supporting role in the event, so I'll be too busy to attend this year.
Old 08-14-16, 09:32 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I'd love to come, but there's no room for travel in the budget this year.
Old 08-15-16, 01:01 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
I'm in. Would love to meet up with others in the area who ride in and around Boston. Might not make Friday, but either or both Saturday and Sunday. Since my wife doesn't ride, but would enjoy a walking tour, might do one day with her, one day solo.

Last edited by NewATBikeComute; 08-15-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 07:32 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be in Brookline then, you can count me in... As long as you promise not to laugh at my bike!
Old 08-22-16, 11:14 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Gonna mark the calendar!
Old 08-23-16, 05:39 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Sorry I won't be able to make the trip this year. Have a good time.

Marc
Old 08-25-16, 06:06 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Hmmm! I haven't been back to Boston in 4 years. I sure would like to take a ride through my favorite part of Boston, which is Newton. Sunday's a dynamite time to ride in Cambridge.., there are no cars on the road in the morning.
Old 08-31-16, 12:49 PM
Jim from Boston

UPDATE / BUMP

I just replied to a new subscriber from Massachusetts:

I’m pretty much a solo rider with a busy schedule and usually ride early in the AM. However you might be interested by this recent thread, A proposed Fifty-Plus Annual Ride in Boston, Sept, 18,2016 (don’t have to be 50+)”:...

So far, three local Bostonians, and a rider from Maine who is familiar with Boston have replied, with regrets from three previous out-of-state participants in prior rides, so that schedule is [still] tentative.

Old 09-17-16, 10:25 AM
Jim from Boston

...of this beautiful and interesting city.

A suggested agenda is for participants to arrive as early as Friday, Sept 16 for a get together, and maybe an informal ride, same on Saturday, with Organized Ride on Sunday. On two previous Annual Rides, our subsidiary activities besides cycling were walking tours of Boston, and restaurant dinners, all by mutual agreement....

...One other item, IMO to make this a worthwhile event, I’d like to have at least four other riders besides myself. I have taken that Friday off work already, and I’d like to get a fairly firm commitment from anyone interested by about Tuesday, Sept 14 of that week. Otherwise there is a professional conference here in Boston I would like to attend on Thursday through Saturday. I still would welcome other riders, but would have less time to spend with you.
I had received replies from about four riders, three local and one from m Maine familiar with Boston. Last week I got really tied up with work, then this conference and associated activities, so this is my first chance to respond. My daughter is coming home from school this weekend, so I'd like to spend time with her on Sunday, sio I'm going to skip the Hub on Wheels. I hope no one is inconvenienced, and it is a great ride to do anyways...you won't be alone.

There is another ride later this minth, in a Saturday, better for me, and I'll pst about it when I rfind moore details
Old 09-17-16, 08:59 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
9/18? No, but 9/28 Wednesday is a GO!

I'm throwing out an invite to anyone who'd like to do a gorgeous 32 mile ride with the Wednesday Wheelers, a sub-group of Charles River Wheelmen (50 years old!). The WW are mostly retired, so most are old. I'm 70. The ""WW pace" is just over 13 MPH, but we usually offer alternative rides for faster riders.

This 9/28 I will lead my fifth Bonsai Ride. Start at Nashoba Valley Ski Area in Westford, after ordering your sandwich from a Concord bakery. Then we ride through Littleton, Groton, Tyngsboro. 34 or 40 miles (for the faster crowd). Then we eat lunch inside the courtyard of Bonsai West, surrounded by museum-quality bonsai trees. BW is closed on W, so we have the place to ourselves. The peak crowd was 70 riders.
  • This link has the ride.
  • This link has pictures (last year the ride was on my 70th birthday).
If you're not a CRW member, you will need to sign a release. And you must wear a helmet. We welcome newcomers, and young people (last year a 25-year-old friend joined us).

Interested? Contact Doug@GDH2.com (I don't know how to make that a hot-link)