Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

TPU Tubes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

TPU Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 07:52 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
That will be my next setup after my current tires are worn (in about a year). Any concern using these tubes within rim brake CF wheels?
I think the Pirelli P Zero SmarTubes have a print on them stating they are for use with rim and disc, and are sold as such, but iirc there are other TPU tubes in the Pirelli lineup that are (or were) geared towards MTB/wider tyres and disc only, and some other manufacturers may differ of course. I've only ever used these SmartTubes with 60mm stem and not looked further. They are expensive in Australia, but since they have stood up so well, I bought a bunch of spares when I could because they were hard to find in stock back then, so looking into alternatives won't be a topic for a while. I'd probably just buy them again anyway because they work.

One thing to consider is that the material will stretch, so if you pull out the tube when changing a tyre, it will be in a thin expanded state, not recoiled back to original. Totally fine to put back in, but I think it is not recommended to do so when downsizing tyres. So if they were run in and stretched to 25mm, putting them into a 28mm and expanding them further is fine, but not the other way around. I assume they would just sit in there with extra folds that could compromise them. I've done same-same tyre swaps and upsizing swaps already with no dramas.
Likes For yaw:
Old 10-04-23, 09:51 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
I saw on GCN show a few days ago that Pirelli have revised their SmarTube design and the new models are called SmarTube EVO. Don’t know anything much beyond that.
Old 10-05-23, 07:21 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
What should the review say.. "Went for a ride, got a flat in my front and back tire"?

I suppose it couldn't be because both tires rode thru the same flat-causing stuff?
If he posts he "rode thru the same flat-causing stuff" the review will get ignored, if quality issues it will help as on Amazon the cheap Chinese Cyclami are running 14 and 15% 1 star reviews which is very high.
Old 10-05-23, 10:46 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Bought some turbolitos and am interesting in giving it a try. I run latex on both road bikes and my TT bike. My daily driver is a 2022 TCR Pro and I like the idea of lightening it up a bit w TPU tubes. I have a couple questions for you guys:

1) Can you re-use TPU tubes after initial installation? My guess is that you can, since people try to patch them at times. I ask b/c I also have some new tires to install (Pirelli Pzero 4s), but the GP5000s that are on there have some life left.

2) What pressure do you recommend for a 145 lb rider on 25's or 28's? I run 90 on my latex.
Old 10-05-23, 02:10 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I bought eight TPU tubes mainly for spare tubes to carry in my pocket because they are so small and light. That got me wondering if anyone runs them for daily use. I mean, 36g, I'd like to try and maybe will but I'd like to get a report from people who've used them daily.
The use the RideNow ones as my dailies for my aero bike and maybe had 1 valve issue and 2 others that got a flat over span of two years on two different bikes. I like the harder feel of them and how they retain air super well. Obviously even the 36g ones are insanely light and can easily shed 90g off each wheel. I have a few of the 19g ones but I haven't used them yet.
Old 10-05-23, 02:12 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Bought some turbolitos and am interesting in giving it a try. I run latex on both road bikes and my TT bike. My daily driver is a 2022 TCR Pro and I like the idea of lightening it up a bit w TPU tubes. I have a couple questions for you guys:

1) Can you re-use TPU tubes after initial installation? My guess is that you can, since people try to patch them at times. I ask b/c I also have some new tires to install (Pirelli Pzero 4s), but the GP5000s that are on there have some life left.

2) What pressure do you recommend for a 145 lb rider on 25's or 28's? I run 90 on my latex.
You can reuse and patch them. The only thing you do have to be careful is not damaging the valve since they are non replaceable and not inflating them too much when not mounted since they can start to deform

I am 138lbs-140lbs and run them with GP5000 28c at 92 PSI but I like a firm feel
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 10-05-23, 04:51 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
TMonk Jrasero just an addition regarding re-using them (which is fine and I've done so repeatedly), do not downsize the tyres. Keeping tyre width the same, or going up in size, is ok, but downsizing is a no go because the material stays distended from the largest volume it was inflated to and would then crease inside a smaller tyre.
Likes For yaw:
Old 10-06-23, 04:34 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,473 Times in 1,020 Posts
Thanks, yaw, for the heads up re: not downsizing to narrower tires. Fortunately the roads in my area are pretty good so I plan to stick to 25 mm GP5K mounted on 19 mm IW wheels.