Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Road Test/Bike Review (1989) FISHER Hybrid

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 09:36 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

The FISHER Hybrid was the second of seven bikes reviewed in the "Seven Hybrids" section from Bicycle Guide, Jun 1989.
The section intro and BIANCHI Tangent review are here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-tangent.html

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 11-18-23, 09:50 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Such interesting geometry, I don't think there have been many drop-bar off-road bikes designed with relatively steep HTA but low fork offset to get high trail. Probably missed the mark for many with the stack/reach ratio. But man these old drop-bar hybrids were something, too bad they never really took off and we had to wait a few decades for gravel bikes to really turn the industry where hybrids and cyclocross bikes couldn't.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 11-19-23, 11:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Is this a Hybrid or CycloCross?

Also is this from '89 about '90 models because I believe Bianchi was the only one with an actual hybrid in '89 and the Advantage had bars with a 2" rise. The Tangent, as well as the Axis and Equinox were 'Cross bikes

Cool article though

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-19-23, 12:10 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

Also is this from '89 about '90 models because I believe Bianchi was the only one with an actual hybrid in '89 and the Advantage had bars with a 2" rise. The Tangent, as well as the Axis and Equinox were 'Cross bikes

Cool article though
Fisher Hybrid was listed last in the '89 catalog (for singles) and got the smallest description. Just a Hybrid, whatever Gary and the world thought that was in 1989. I do not see a Hybrid model in the 1990 catalog.

1989specmanualFisher.pdf (vintage-trek.com)
1990specmanualFisher.pdf (vintage-trek.com)
Old 11-19-23, 01:39 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

Cool article though
Are there any hard characteristics other than which category the manufacturer puts the bike? It seems Cyclocross as a product category took a while to become solidified to the American consumer or perhaps the American bicycle industry.

To my modern eye the Fisher would be less CX because of the TT cable route, the bottle bosses and perhaps the geometry. As if they saw the Bianchi Volpe and figured they could just take the same idea but make it more mountain-bikey for their brand.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Fisher Hybrid was listed last in the '89 catalog (for singles) and got the smallest description. Just a Hybrid, whatever Gary and the world thought that was in 1989. I do not see a Hybrid model in the 1990 catalog.

The Sphinx is listed but not pictured in the 1990 catalog. Although I suppose it could be ruled as "Cyclocross" given the description (from here).

Old 11-19-23, 03:15 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Are there any hard characteristics other than which category the manufacturer puts the bike? It seems Cyclocross as a product category took a while to become solidified to the American consumer or perhaps the American bicycle industry.

To my modern eye the Fisher would be less CX because of the TT cable route, the bottle bosses and perhaps the geometry. As if they saw the Bianchi Volpe and figured they could just take the same idea but make it more mountain-bikey for their brand.

The Sphinx is listed but not pictured in the 1990 catalog. Although I suppose it could be ruled as "Cyclocross" given the description (from here).
This is what I think of when someone says Hybrid, a stem with lots of rise and bars with a little rise as well, and x38ish tires with a little tread to them but not actually knobby. The Geomentry is a bit more relaxed than Fisher too.

Yes I was think this was more like a Volpe than a hybrid as posted but I really did want to muddy the waters anymore. Bianchi referred to the Volpe as the original hybrid once due to it;'s "do all" design, but begining in '89 limped it in to the 'Cross catagory with the others but for some reason while their craoo bike shad the HiWire cable they still had bottle bosses and carrying strap mounts to make them more versitile.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-26-23, 01:55 PM
BSG66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Fisher Hybrid looks to me to be a poor man's version of the original Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Road. At USD600, it was exactly half the price of an R 'n R, (as tested by John Kukoda for Bicycling in 1989).

The Fisher will take 700x45 knobbys (just) and the only rubber approaching that size in 89 was the Haakapaliita 700x43 imported by BG from Finland.

Geometry of the two bikes is similar, although the Fisher leans more towards the MTB side, with that high BB and long TT. I have a 21" Fisher, and it has something like a 59cm TT. Departures from catalogue are cheaper, non-anodized rims and standard English BB, not Fisher's proprietary system.

The Fisher, like the R 'n R and the Bianche Volpe, does seem to be the granddaddy of gravel bikes. I find these original circa 1988-1992 hybrids frustrating could-have-beens. In the early 90s, I was doing dropped bar conversions on flat bar hybrids, and selling them as gravel tourers, which were unobtanium apart from the work of custom framebuilders. Within a few short years, however, hybrids transformed into the suspension fork, gel "comfort" saddle, suspension seatpost, riser bars, and adjustable stem monstrosities that still feature on TV advertisements for products to keep your bowels regular and pants dry. The bike industry really can't leave good things alone. I get it. the flabby beast that the hybrid became widened the market to include an older demographic group, but the (eventual) success of the gravel bike shows that BG's original concept had legs. Well, I guess the big brands' failure to stick with the original hybrid concept gave room for QBP to slip in the back door with Surly.

P.S. I'd post a picture of the Fisher, compete with 29x1.75 tyres, but being a lazy arse when it comes to posting or commenting, I'm not allowed to. Still, at my age, being called a newbie is a compliment.

Last edited by BSG66; 11-26-23 at 02:13 PM.
Likes For BSG66:
Old 11-26-23, 03:11 PM
Spoonrobot 

Originally Posted by BSG66
I find these original circa 1988-1992 hybrids frustrating could-have-beens.
Interesting observations. This is exactly how I feel as well. Some of these bikes are so great and then I look around and get an idea of the production runs and they're tiny. We could have had a off-road gravel boom in parallel with the MTB explosion but it didn't happen for a multitude of reasons.
Old 11-26-23, 05:06 PM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
One that I picked up for my wife. 700 x 35 with plenty of room..

Last edited by bibliobob; 11-26-23 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For bibliobob:
Old 11-27-23, 12:47 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
In the days before the arrival of stiffer, stronger-yet-lightweight large-section rims, and before there were many tires for 650b, the 26" wheel ruled off road because it was much stronger than a 700c-sized wheel (even as the 700c-sized wheel weighed more).

Despite this design limitation, 700c hybrids with flat or drop handlebars made appearances in most brand's lineup, with perhaps some years off.
Obviously, these were not the hottest sellers. Later "gravel"-themed bikes sold much better despite premium pricing since their marketing emphasized sporting use over practicality.

Trek (circa 2007 or so) sold a nice aluminum 7500 hybrid sort of model that was quite attractive with it's head tube-integrated suspension (some number of which were recalled) and yes, a heavy adjustable stem. Unfortunately, it's narrow and heavy aero rims fitted with very slow Bontrager flat-resistant tires gave the stock bike a poor-performing feel.

The (usually 26"-wheeled) "comfort bike" variant of the hybrid is a sad chapter, though the "flat bar road bike" was yet another, more-sporting sporting variation of the broader "hybrid" designation that it seems never much caught on.
Likes For dddd: