Old 10-30-23, 09:43 PM
bikeraceref12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bicycle Race Referees Wanted

Calling all cycling enthusiasts!

You can judge, score, time races, enforce regulations and conduct, supervise the repair pit, act as a moto referee, and more.
Give back to the sport you love, get paid to watch the game, make a positive difference in the lives of athletes, and develop leadership, teamwork, and communication skills.

To sign up, please message directly or sign up at
tinyurl [dot] com/2024-new-bicycle-officials
Likes For bikeraceref12:
Old 11-03-23, 12:46 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Looks like this is from the Nor Cal region. Do they need So Cal officials as well?
Old 11-03-23, 02:06 PM
bikeraceref12

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for the clarifying question urbanknight

The new bicycle race referee class is open to anyone in SoCal as well. The only likely option is the virtual zoom session.

Obtaining a USA Cycling Officials license qualifies you to referee any sanctioned race in USA

Reference:
scnca [dot] com/race-official-training/
Old 11-03-23, 04:33 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,446 Times in 995 Posts
I looked at it, clicked on the application for the class to see if any fees or other expense requirements, and I was surprised to see my email address was already filled in on the application (WTF?). Sorry, but if you're organization is already 'lifting' one of my emails without my permission or me filling it in, I'm going to take a hard pass on this.
Old 11-03-23, 06:22 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Thanks for clarifying. Not sure if I’d want to travel to a gig with a $40 per diem to cover lodging, but it can’t hurt to get certified and see what comes of it.

Originally Posted by skidder
I looked at it, clicked on the application for the class to see if any fees or other expense requirements, and I was surprised to see my email address was already filled in on the application (WTF?). Sorry, but if you're organization is already 'lifting' one of my emails without my permission or me filling it in, I'm going to take a hard pass on this.
It’s a Google Form and your own account or device auto filled the details you input on some other Google Form some time ago. The only thing that “lifted” your info is Google.
Likes For urbanknight:
Old 11-03-23, 08:01 PM
bikeraceref12

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Many thanks urbanknight for responding back to skidder.
You are correct that the sign up link is a Google form, so if someone is logged in with the Google account, the form will show the user's gmail address and it's not "lifted".
The email address field on the Google form still has to be filled out by the user.

I am still a new user to the forum and cannot post any url links, but if you visit scnca [dot] com and click the Promoters Area drop down menu there is a link to Officials Fees.

An official's lodging fees are covered in full by the race organization if required and to be determined in discussion with the Chief Referee for the event. The schedule of fees also details the hourly rate, overtime, mileage, per diem, and other expenses.

Thank you again for your continued interest. I like your approach that getting certified can't hurt; we would also welcome you to just attend the class. There is a lot of great material on the most important racing regulations and overview of the critical role that officials play at the races.
Likes For bikeraceref12:
Old 11-06-23, 08:41 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Thanks for clarifying. Not sure if I’d want to travel to a gig with a $40 per diem to cover lodging, but it can’t hurt to get certified and see what comes of it.

It’s a Google Form and your own account or device auto filled the details you input on some other Google Form some time ago. The only thing that “lifted” your info is Google.
Great, one more way my info gets spread around. I'll have to check and see if there's any way I can turn that off.
Old 11-06-23, 08:46 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Is there any out-of-pocket ongoing costs associated with this? I didn't see any on the website. I ask because I looked into officiating at high school/junior college track & field and cross-country events and the ongoing costs would be a few $100 per year after initial costs of about $1000-$1200 the first year for background checks, uniform, etc. Now I know why those two sports are having a hard time getting enough officials/referees for local meets.
Old 11-06-23, 12:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Great, one more way my info gets spread around. I'll have to check and see if there's any way I can turn that off.
If you're talking about the upper part where it says ""switch account" next to it, that's just telling you which email profile you're logged into. I think you can log out and it won't show up, but many Google Forms require you to be logged in so they can prove who filled out the form. If you're talking about the lower part where it asks for your email, that's a matter of autofill and you should be able to adjust those settings. Sorry I'm of limited help but I only know as much about these things as my work requires me to know.

Is there any out-of-pocket ongoing costs associated with this? I didn't see any on the website. I ask because I looked into officiating at high school/junior college track & field and cross-country events and the ongoing costs would be a few $100 per year after initial costs of about $1000-$1200 the first year for background checks, uniform, etc. Now I know why those two sports are having a hard time getting enough officials/referees for local meets.
I have a hard time getting volunteers now (middle school band teacher) because they're making people jump through so many hoops it's no longer worth it for many of them.
Old 11-06-23, 06:23 PM
bikeraceref12

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A first year USA Cycling Official's license is $25 and good for 365 days; afterwards, the license fee is $50 annually.
There is a background check requirement, conducted by National Center for Safety Initiatives (NCSI), that is $30 but can vary where you are located. This is good for two years.
A uniform is required for an official. A oxford blue colored shirt with the USA Cycling logo averages $60 including tax and shipping depending on what type is purchased. Some officials save money by using an iron-on patch to an existing blue colored shirt and clothing which is acceptable.

Some cycling local association reimburse officials to help offset these costs, but typically these costs can be recovered after working one event.

Thanks for everyone's continued interest.
Likes For bikeraceref12: