Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic looking brifters??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 08:34 AM
Saxicola

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all, I'm building a Crust Lightning Bolt in the new light blue. I want to put 2 x 11 speed brifters on it but I'm struggling to find something that fits the look of a classic rando bike, e.g. silver levers. Everything is black and/or plasticy looking. I've given up finding brown hoods. Gearing will be 2by but I'll settle for 1by and a bar end shifter for the front. I'd prefer Shimano compatible. Any suggestions for a more classy looking brifters over all the black plastic looking ones? Older and used is fine, ideally under $200. Best I have found are the Shimano St 5800s and 7000s. There are some nice campy ones but I don't think I want to go that route. Thanks!
Old 01-12-24, 09:36 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Saxicola
Hi all, I'm building a Crust Lightning Bolt in the new light blue. I want to put 2 x 11 speed brifters on it but I'm struggling to find something that fits the look of a classic rando bike, e.g. silver levers. Everything is black and/or plasticy looking. I've given up finding brown hoods. Gearing will be 2by but I'll settle for 1by and a bar end shifter for the front. I'd prefer Shimano compatible. Any suggestions for a more classy looking brifters over all the black plastic looking ones? Older and used is fine, ideally under $200. Best I have found are the Shimano St 5800s and 7000s. There are some nice campy ones but I don't think I want to go that route. Thanks!
How about silver Shimano 11s?

If you go barend there are retro looking options: https://www.amazon.com/Tektro-23-8mm...BoCbSsQAvD_BwE

Last edited by shoota; 01-12-24 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For shoota:
Old 01-12-24, 10:10 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I've got a planned mid-modern retro build using Sensah silver shifters with white hoods

They have brown hoods too but it looks like a darker shade:
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 01-12-24, 10:30 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
If you are fine with bar ends, just get Dura Ace 11 speed bar ends. Then you can use more normal looking and feeling brake levers that aren't so long and tall and stupid looking. Is your Lighning Bolt a cantilever model?
Old 01-12-24, 11:27 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 1,765 Posts
Least disturbing visually, IMO anyway, are the early Campagnolo Ergo levers. Available in 8 and 9-speed (with a matching Campagnolo RD and cassette) or 5/6-speed with any Shimano SIS RD and any standard 5 or 6-speed cassette or FW. Go 3x if needed. The left lever will shift pretty much anything FD-shaped.

Old 01-12-24, 11:34 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

BTW, I have tried modern Shimano on this bike, but didn't like the looks ...

... and 11-speed Campagnolo, and liked the looks even less ...

YMMV, though.

Old 01-12-24, 11:46 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Shimano R7000 is technically offered in silver, The shifters (pictured above) look pretty good and the rear derailleur looks okay -- it has polished parts and matte parts. It's hard to find, though.
Old 01-13-24, 10:01 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
How much work do you want to do? SRAM levers are easy to strip, polish and rebuild. These are technically 10S levers with 11S internals, but the rebuild process with the 11S levers is just as easy.

Likes For fliplap:
Old 01-13-24, 10:21 AM
MrGastrognome
Quasi homeostatic system

Bikes: '81 Fuji America, '82 Team Fuji, '85 Nishiki Bel Air, '98 Klein Stage Comp R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
You can try dyeing a set of light colored hoods. This guy is using Shimano r7000 which have a silver lever option and got some good results that seem to be holding up well.
Likes For MrGastrognome:
Old 01-13-24, 03:02 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

On a side note: if you're using a front bag, be aware that Shimano levers take up more room when shifting than Campagnolo levers. This means your bars need to be slightly wider for the bag to not interfere with the shifting. Just so you know.

Old 01-14-24, 09:13 AM
Saxicola

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
If you are fine with bar ends, just get Dura Ace 11 speed bar ends. Then you can use more normal looking and feeling brake levers that aren't so long and tall and stupid looking. Is your Lighning Bolt a cantilever model?
It is indeed the canti model. Thanks for the suggestion. I just can't get used to them, I'm a relatively new rider to drop bars and I really like the shifting right at my hands. I was thinking I could compromise for the front since I won't be using that as much, but for the right I really would prefer a brifter if possible
Old 01-14-24, 09:14 AM
Saxicola

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
On a side note: if you're using a front bag, be aware that Shimano levers take up more room when shifting than Campagnolo levers. This means your bars need to be slightly wider for the bag to not interfere with the shifting. Just so you know.
I have the Crust Nitto shaka bars (520mm) and I'm going to make my own bags. I didn't think to consider this so thanks for the tip!
Old 01-14-24, 09:18 AM
Saxicola

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I've got a planned mid-modern retro build using Sensah silver shifters with white hoods
Thanks I saw these, have you heard anything about the quality? I don't care about less popular brands but I would like to get the shifting as good as I can within reason
Old 01-14-24, 09:28 AM
Saxicola

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
How much work do you want to do? SRAM levers are easy to strip, polish and rebuild. These are technically 10S levers with 11S internals, but the rebuild process with the 11S levers is just as easy.
Nice! Unfortunately I have a Shimano Ultegra derailleur now. Which I know is not going to look awesome but I got it for a really good price. But I am definitely willing to strip and customize anything, I am an artist so have a lot of stuff to hand and will find it fun and rewarding to customize stuff
Old 01-14-24, 10:46 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Least disturbing visually, IMO anyway, are the early Campagnolo Ergo levers. Available in 8 and 9-speed (with a matching Campagnolo RD and cassette) or 5/6-speed with any Shimano SIS RD and any standard 5 or 6-speed cassette or FW. Go 3x if needed. The left lever will shift pretty much anything FD-shaped.
So far that's the only "classic-looking" product shown in this thread, IMHO.

I've wondered about those, leave the brake lever sliver and paint the shift trigger matte black, and it would just about disappear. Can the hood be trimmed and the brake cable be re-routed to un-aero it?

Old 01-14-24, 12:08 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts
Thanks I saw these, have you heard anything about the quality? I don't care about less popular brands but I would like to get the shifting as good as I can within reason
I have Sensah SRX brifters on my State All-Road gravel bike. They are 1x (i.e. no front derailleur) which means only the right side is used for shifting. It has worked well for the past 3 months with no issues; crisp shifts every time. Having read reviews by folks who have used them for over a year, there's been no quality issues or complaints about them that I have seen. I would recommend them, and they are quite affordable.
Old 01-14-24, 12:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964

I've wondered about those, leave the brake lever sliver and paint the shift trigger matte black, and it would just about disappear. Can the hood be trimmed and the brake cable be re-routed to un-aero it?
You want to paint a shift lever, cut the hoods, and reroute the brake cable?
Just stick with tech from before '87 to be safe.
Old 01-14-24, 12:25 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Can the hood be trimmed and the brake cable be re-routed to un-aero it?
No.
I like these levers. Not currently being use though. I moved to second gen.
IMG_20180930_093436 on Flickr
Old 01-14-24, 12:38 PM
Catnap 

Bikes: Zunow, 3Rensho, Look KG196

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 468 Times in 187 Posts

Agree that's likely not possible but I applaud your creative thinking to make a ~30 year old part look 50 years old.
Old 01-14-24, 03:11 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
I've been using the 9 speed and 11 speed levers since late 2021 on my gravel bikes and they have been working great. Sensah themselves rate their levers as 105-level and I guess that's about right based on weight and feel. I switch between Sensah 9s/11s and Shimano 5800/7000 pretty frequently and other than the slight ergonomic and functional differences can't tell the difference in shifting/reliability.
Old 01-14-24, 04:10 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

(...) Can the hood be trimmed and the brake cable be re-routed to un-aero it?
I haven't tried, but with the proper fabrication skills you might be able to.

I like the way they look and feel, though, and they work exceptionally well for my (touring) purposes.

Old 01-14-24, 04:20 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

The second generation Campagnolo shape looks a little more modern, and feels a bit different, but still works OK visually on an eighties bike, IMHO:

Likes For non-fixie: