Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The World's Ten Worst Public Transit Systems

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-13, 07:22 AM
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-ten-w...mpaign=morning

Obviously a loaded statement. Obviously not scientifically researched. Obviously many flaws in the list, but I figured we could argue about it all anyway.

Toronto does not belong on that list. While the system is not ideal (no public transit system is), there is good coverage, the facilities are maintained and are generally clean, and it is widely used. With that said, our streetcars are old, and slow, but that is to be expected in a large/old city.
Old 07-04-13, 07:30 AM
GodsBassist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never been, but I've heard the Boston train system is pretty legit.
Old 07-04-13, 08:34 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GodsBassist
I've never been, but I've heard the Boston train system is pretty legit.
I have used the Boston system a fair bit, DC occasionally, NYC occasionally, Chicago once, Atlanta several times.

They all have their idiosyncrasies. I don't know if there is really any way to fairly compare them. Each has it's own challenges to overcome.

I thought the comments on the MBTA (Boston) system were interesting. I have used the Wonderland Station (Blue Line) a fair bit as well as the others. It is a mix of different systems that were combined over the years. Supposedly it traces it roots to a private ferry system that dates to 1631!

My son lives and works in the Boston area and has a love/hate relationship with the "T". Of all the systems I have used I think it has the best coverage and is easy to use once you learn the ins and outs of it and where you want to go.

Yes they have outages, but I have also spent hours stuck on an interstate because it was shut down and there was no exit to access to get off.

I always look at the number of people on a subway car or bus and think to myself... I am damned glad that these people are riding this rather than driving single occupant vehicles!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-04-13, 10:13 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You have to wonder about the people who wrote those criticisms. My experience (from this forum and elsewhere) is that the harshest critics of any transit system are people who never even use the system.

For example, somebody says of the Boston system: "MBTA in Boston. Not only is in on a brink of bankruptcy, but the entire operation is run by a woman getting paid $220,000/year and it's still the worst transit system I've seen in my entire life." But 220K is not really very much to pay the CEO of a large and important company. Possibly part of the problem is that they aren't paying enough to attract good talent.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-04-13, 11:31 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My experience with the system in Boston over the years has been fine. Way way better than what most American cities have to offer, would be my guess.
Old 07-04-13, 12:23 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The worst system is no system at all.

I'll bet there are quite a few people who live in areas where there is no bus or train service who wouldn't mind having one of those 'ten worst' in their town.
Old 07-04-13, 01:16 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I do believe that Los Angeles area transit should be positioned more at the top (closer to #1 than the bottom # 10). Not only it is beyond just terrible and doesn't really go anywhere important (except mainly designed and intended for shuttling tourists to popular points of interests and overpriced clip joints), we just prefer cars around here. Our major loss over here!

Last edited by folder fanatic; 07-04-13 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-04-13, 01:19 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog

I'll bet there are quite a few people who live in areas where there is no bus or train service who wouldn't mind having one of those 'ten worst' in their town.
Amen, brother.

Locally, our public transit system took the holiday off.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-04-13, 05:02 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

So right! Our local bus system has been named the best in North America for a medium size city. But many suburbs have no service because they opted out when the regional authority was established.

And, like Artkansas said, no holiday buses. 50,000 people will be coming to the downtown fireworks tonight and no buses. Seven dollar event parking but no buses.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-04-13, 05:39 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
And, like Artkansas said, no holiday buses. 50,000 people will be coming to the downtown fireworks tonight and no buses. Seven dollar event parking but no buses.
That's mad! Whenever there's a special event here, extra trains and buses are put on and people are encouraged to use them.
Old 07-04-13, 06:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I think those 50 000 people should just leave their cars at home and walk or take a bike instead, I am sure it wouldn't kill them to walk or bike few blocks. Finding a parking spot during special events must be a nightmare.
Old 07-04-13, 06:46 PM
werwer2012
Bike Recycler

Bikes: Huffy Cruiser

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared.
https://jalopnik.com/the-worlds-ten-w...mpaign=morning

Obviously a loaded statement. Obviously not scientifically researched. Obviously many flaws in the list, but I figured we could argue about it all anyway.

Toronto does not belong on that list. While the system is not ideal (no public transit system is), there is good coverage, the facilities are maintained and are generally clean, and it is widely used. With that said, our streetcars are old, and slow, but that is to be expected in a large/old city.
I lived in Toronto for many years and did a lot of biking there when I was yo0nug and it was fine as long as you stayed away from the street car tracks but where I am know I wouldn't dare go on the road. They drive like they are in India here.
Old 07-04-13, 07:25 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by werwer2012
I lived in Toronto for many years and did a lot of biking there when I was yo0nug and it was fine as long as you stayed away from the street car tracks but where I am know I wouldn't dare go on the road. They drive like they are in India here.
Which area/city are you in ??
Old 07-04-13, 11:23 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

I'd call no system at all a tie with a system that has dangerous bus drivers and no safety program.

Our bus drivers are horrific, largely in response to management-imposed time constraints. I sometimes wonder if the bikes on the front racks belong to riders or are trophies of the day's kills.
Old 07-04-13, 11:26 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I sometimes wonder if the bikes on the front racks belong to riders or are trophies of the day's kills.
I wish there were bike racks on our buses.
Old 07-05-13, 05:10 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Amen, brother.

Locally, our public transit system took the holiday off.
Ditto... no bus service at all on July 4th,

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 07-05-13, 06:21 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to wonder about the people who wrote those criticisms. My experience (from this forum and elsewhere) is that the harshest critics of any transit system are people who never even use the system.

For example, somebody says of the Boston system: "MBTA in Boston. Not only is in on a brink of bankruptcy, but the entire operation is run by a woman getting paid $220,000/year and it's still the worst transit system I've seen in my entire life." But 220K is not really very much to pay the CEO of a large and important company. Possibly part of the problem is that they aren't paying enough to attract good talent.
Exactly. And its Jalopnik.. so credibility kind of goes out the door.
Old 07-05-13, 06:27 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
The Boston system could be one of the best, however corruption and politics have damaged it. The lack of maintenence is a scandal, and there have been financial manipulations which have shifted a lot of debt to the T, thus handicapping its ability to function. But you can't do without it, and it is beter than those cities with no public transit.
Old 07-07-13, 06:31 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to ride the train/tram/whatever into DC with a few friends once. There's no way to buy a SINGLE ticket, you have to purchase a card, but then you can use the card to pay for multiple people and somehow they end up with their own ticket stubs. It was thoroughly confusing.
Old 07-08-13, 07:49 AM
RyderTheRider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Too true. They recently removed an unreliable, once an hour bus service from near my auntie to use the resource elsewhere. Now her and a lot of other people who are too old to drive can't get to the shops, trains stations, doctors etc without relying on someone else or shelling out for a taxi.
Old 07-08-13, 08:28 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by corrado33
I had to ride the train/tram/whatever into DC with a few friends once. There's no way to buy a SINGLE ticket, you have to purchase a card, but then you can use the card to pay for multiple people and somehow they end up with their own ticket stubs. It was thoroughly confusing.
Don't feel bad. I'm sure a lot of ppeople who use transit one time are so confused and intimidated that they never try it again. We teach kids how to drive in high school but we never teach them how to take a trip by bus or train.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-10-13, 08:03 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Don't feel bad. I'm sure a lot of ppeople who use transit one time are so confused and intimidated that they never try it again. We teach kids how to drive in high school but we never teach them how to take a trip by bus or train.
It really is a shame. There should be a national bus card like they have in Europe for rail. You should be able to board any bus with this card for an entire month as many times you need. The exception would be for interstate bus lines like Grayhound for example.

A major complaint from the writer was that the buses do not intersect at all points forcing you to head downtown each time. Here's a good idea, why not use the bus line to get within a mile or two of your destination and just walk instead of going downtown to catch another bus that leaves you door to door? Heck, bring a Xootr kick scooter and now your one or two mile walk becomes enjoyable!

Or better yet, just move downtown and now you have access to every bus line! LOL!
Old 07-10-13, 08:18 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve

A major complaint from the writer was that the buses do not intersect at all points forcing you to head downtown each time. Here's a good idea, why not use the bus line to get within a mile or two of your destination and just walk instead of going downtown to catch another bus that leaves you door to door? Heck, bring a Xootr kick scooter and now your one or two mile walk becomes enjoyable!
Isn't that the rationale behind all bike-sharing programs... to get you to the last mile of your destination? I guess it's not the only tool in the box, but there are a lot of ways to tackle this issue.

And yes... moving downtown or to a good bus route is a smart move. For myself, I am about 300 feet from the best bus line in Des Moines... and it makes all the difference to my Plan B (ie, non cycling) transportation.
Old 07-11-13, 12:18 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
Isn't that the rationale behind all bike-sharing programs... to get you to the last mile of your destination? I guess it's not the only tool in the box, but there are a lot of ways to tackle this issue.

And yes... moving downtown or to a good bus route is a smart move. For myself, I am about 300 feet from the best bus line in Des Moines... and it makes all the difference to my Plan B (ie, non cycling) transportation.
Or if no bike share, there should be bike racks on the buses. And I also agree about living downtown or on a good bus route. If I ever move again, it will probably be to a house within a block of our Number One bus route.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-11-13, 05:04 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
It really is a shame. There should be a national bus card like they have in Europe for rail. You should be able to board any bus with this card for an entire month as many times you need. The exception would be for interstate bus lines like Grayhound for example.

Or better yet, just move downtown and now you have access to every bus line! LOL!
National Bus Card... that would be interesting but with over 1,000 different bus systems in the country I don't see it happening anytime soon.

We have one of the hub and spoke type bus systems in the town nearby, at the outer ends of the routes they are 2-15 miles apart, walking those distances along a multilane highway with no sidewalks, crosswalks or any other sort of pedestrian facilities is deadly. Not to mention in many areas the roads don't fully connect so you would have to walk quite a bit more to not have to walk through woods and swamps.

Around here downtown is the last place to live, excessive crime and no services, no grocery stores. They are in the process of attempting to "revitalize" the downtown, again. Currently there are some boutiques, a few bars and bistro type places. Closest grocery store that is safe to access is over 5 miles way along a 6 lane road with no sidewalks and no direct bus service. Been there, lived there. All the buses have bike racks, but they are quite often full from the outer points all the way in.

BTW here is a link to the American Public Transportation Association Fact BooK a lot of interesting information in it.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 07-11-13 at 05:08 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.