Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want to replace some parts of my MTB and also paint it, looking for some advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I want to replace some parts of my MTB and also paint it, looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-10, 10:27 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Alv
I want to change the Brakes, The whole gear system including the chain and maybe the tires. I want some realiable parts that won't let me down, any suggestions? How mouch could it cost me?
If you want mid-range current drivetrain, you'll likely need a new rear wheel, as I think hubs that accept 7-speed megarange cogsets are different from the hubs that accept 9-speed and 10-speed bits. You'll also have to make sure your entire disc system is compatible. Caliper mounts, rotor mounts and all that.

For low to mid range pricewise shifters ($65), brakes ($140 for the ones you're interested in), new wheels($180 including cassette), derailers ($45 for just the rear) and tires ($50), you're looking at $480 to start.

I see no problem with fixing up ye olde Mongoose XR-200 (or whatever it is you're working with), but I'd just stick to replacing the wear items. Try to figure out how to make the current brakes work, stuff like that.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 11-07-10 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 12:30 PM
Alv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions, I'm sending the frame to a sandblasting place on Tuesday, after that I'll start the painting, It will probably be all white or it will have a Black and White combination

To those who still suggested me to just get a new bike or an older donor bike: I prefer to spend 500$ improving my bike than getting an average bike for 500$ which will still need improvements to be comparable with the current one with the new stuff on it, I probably won't buy all parts at once anyway, It's a project, not some 2 day Restoration like on a "Pimp my Ride" TV show

I currently want to finish the frame so I have a shape to work on, then I will probably start from the basics to get a bike moving, the Crank, Chain, derralieur and those things, that is already more than one of those hipster fixies I will have to look into the wheel thing as LesterOfPuppets said so it fits the BB7 Brakes and everything else

I might also just get the BB7's on the back because I don't really break a lot with the front and some kickass brakes on the front might just kill me if i accidentally press them, I might stay with the old ones on the front or nothing at all there
Old 11-12-10, 06:44 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
dude, whatever else you decide, you really do want a front brake. The oft-quoted figure is that 70% of your braking comes from the front. I don't know if that's exactly true, but the front brake is definitely the more important one for most riding disciplines. Leave it on, i say. Or, just get the bb7s, front and rear. also, if the hub is disc-ready but has a seven speed cassette on it, you'll want to check the freehub body. I suspect it's a 8/9/10 freehub body with a spacer to fit the 7speed cassette. they do that sort of thing to save $$.

good luck!
-rob
Old 11-15-10, 01:38 PM
Alv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pfff, Yesterday I opened the fork so I only leave the colored metalic part for the Sandblaster and I found something pretty bad, some liquid went out when I opened it, I'm almost sure it was rusty water because the springs inside are rustry too, Pretty gross thing, I was able to clean the inside of the fork but I don't know what to do with the springs, Is it possible to find some replacement ones or should I leave them like that?
Old 11-15-10, 01:52 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
I've found that the best source for replacement parts for forks specced on disposable bikes is another one of the disposable bikes.

Did you say is was an RST fork earlier? Got a model number by any chance? Google that to see if there are replacement springs. Not very likely, however.

Probably best off just treating the whole affair to a generous douching with WD40 or the like.
Old 11-15-10, 02:18 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skilsaw
What this forum needs is a an expert that is willing to give an answer and stand by it. None of this woosy answering a question with another question.

$95.48

And then there'd really be no need for a forum :/
Old 11-16-10, 12:30 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
dude, whatever else you decide, you really do want a front brake. The oft-quoted figure is that 70% of your braking comes from the front. I don't know if that's exactly true, but the front brake is definitely the more important one for most riding disciplines. Leave it on, i say. Or, just get the bb7s, front and rear.
YES, if he's going to only get one disc-brake, put it on the front where it will make the biggest difference.

The percentage of braking depends upon the level of deceleration desired. Stopping from 5mph at 0.10G can have 100% of the braking be from the front or the rear brake. As you try to decelerate quicker in shorter distances, more and more of the weight shifts to the front tyre (increasing front-grip & decreasing rear-grip). At the maximum deceleration rate of about 0.85G, 99.99% of the braking-force will be coming from the front brake. People try and argue the difference between 99.99% versus 100% all the time, but the reality is that in all-out maximum-deceleration braking, the front brake is much, much more important than the rear.

Kinda ironic situation occurs all the time on bicycles and motorcycles. A lot of people are fearful of the front-brake and use only the rear. In a panic situation such as a car pulling out in front of them. The rear-brake only bike requires 10x longer braking distance and you see an arcing locked-up tyre-mark on the ground as they slide. Adding insult to injury, they end up crashing and getting run over by the same car they were trying to avoid anyway. The front-brake users will stop in plenty of time and watches in horror as their buddy gets crushed.
Old 11-20-10, 04:42 AM
Alv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost done with the painting now, I ended up ordering a new fork since mine was damaged and probably was crappy from the beginning, I got the Rock Shox Dart 2 and also ordered the BB7 Brake, I'll put it in the front , DannoXYZ made a pretty interesting point, I'll order in the upcoming weeks another set of BB7 brakes, I couldn't get the pair because I really needed the Fork and didn't have enough money

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Kinda ironic situation occurs all the time on bicycles and motorcycles. A lot of people are fearful of the front-brake and use only the rear. In a panic situation such as a car pulling out in front of them. The rear-brake only bike requires 10x longer braking distance and you see an arcing locked-up tyre-mark on the ground as they slide. Adding insult to injury, they end up crashing and getting run over by the same car they were trying to avoid anyway. The front-brake users will stop in plenty of time and watches in horror as their buddy gets crushed.