Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

"Suspending" Russian Olympic doping skater would cause her irreparable harm"

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 09:18 AM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Doesn't her doping cause irreparable harm to her competitors?

Will anyone try to pull this argument in pro cycling?

ABC Headline: "Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva cleared to compete in Beijing Olympics"
"Suspending the 15-year-old "would cause her irreparable harm," the court said."

Lead paragraph: "Russian figure skating star Kamila Valieva will be allowed to continue competing at the Winter Olympics despite failing a drug test, the Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled on Monday."

" 'On the basis of the very limited facts of this case, and after consideration of the relevant legal issues, [the court] has determined that no provisional suspension should be imposed on the Athlete,' CAS said in a two-page decision."

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/russia...ry?id=82825338
Old 02-14-22, 09:22 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Olympics are a joke anymore. I watch for the hockey but the rest...meh. Doping should be a zero tolerance on any level of sport and lifetime ban.

I don't even understand why Russia is even allowed to compete still after their cheating......

oh wait its about money, well nevermind
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-14-22, 10:59 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts

Reports Russian skater took banned drug trimetazidine puzzle experts

The drug apparently is a mighty weak "performance enhancing" drug. But, it has shown up in the past.

In 2014, Chinese swimming superstar Sun Yang tested positive for the banned substance, which the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) classified as a banned stimulant. But here’s where it gets tricky: The athlete’s doctor said he’d prescribed the drug starting in 2008 to treat the swimmer’s heart palpitations and dizziness.
It will be interesting what pops up as they dig through the Russian skater's medical data.

This is a little late to make major changes to competitors.
Old 02-14-22, 12:22 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Doping should be a zero tolerance on any level of sport and lifetime ban.
Yeah, like THAT's going to happen. ALL top level sports are dirty (including your beloved hockey.)
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 02-14-22, 12:36 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Suspending the 15-year-old "would cause her irreparable harm."
Doping causes the participants irreparable harm, in terms of a fair and level playing field. Can't see how it'd cause the doper harm, aside from being held accountable for having doped.

That is, IF it can be shown the doping was knowingly done. I'm assuming this particular "dope" isn't a naturally-occurring substance in normal foods (else it wouldn't be deemed "dope").
Old 02-14-22, 01:13 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
It raises a whole bunch of questions for me.

Was this slipped into her food from a jealous competitor?

Was this a false positive - begging the question of accuracy or contamination?

Was this from the food supply - the old "it was the steak / pork / chicken meat".

Why would you risk a positive result from using this? Seems like getting "asthma" and using salbutamol would improve those specific needs of short bursts of energy and lean muscle. A 15 yo figure skater doping for not even trace endurance gains?

My opinion is she should've been isolated immediately from her entourage for the remainder and the entourage quickly expelled back to Russia.
Old 02-14-22, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I just sends a bad message to all those that might be trying to stay clean. Now they'll know that if they can chose to dope and just delay their test results getting into the hands of the Olympic officials, then they can go to the Olympics in 2024 and 2026.

Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-14-22, 02:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by rando_couche
Yeah, like THAT's going to happen. ALL top level sports are dirty (including your beloved hockey.)

while I very much agree, I think most athletes are actually clean. But yeah all major sports threads have doping!
Old 02-14-22, 03:14 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I thought there used to be a Doping forum. Where stuff like this and all things about that Texan went to fester.

I'm not tracking the details, but from the headlines, it sure is a wacky but intriguing situation. Essentially a provisional non-suspension and a delayed award. Golly.
Old 02-14-22, 03:28 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
I thought there used to be a Doping forum. Where stuff like this and all things about that Texan went to fester.
It i most unfortunate that this discussion about doping, with no reference at all to professional bike racing, is raised in this sub-forum.

Take it some place else, please.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-14-22, 03:39 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The ROC Olympic team was created because Russia is already banned from having its anthem and flag at the Games because of past doping cases. The creation of the ROC team was the solution to not ruining the futures of the Olympic hopefuls that were in the pipe THEN. But for Putin to do it AGAIN, and especially to a 15 yr old, only shows a blatant disrespect for his athletes, and to the games in general.

IMHO, ALL Russian athletes should be banned from the next Olympics (winter and summer). I have no doubt that Putin knew about this case, since there's no way any coach would literally risk their life by cheating and risking that embarrassment to Russia, unless it was sanctioned, if not directed, by Pooty Poot.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 02-14-22, 05:45 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
This is as close to two wheels as I could come with 30 sec of Google Fu.

Despite my post prolonging it, this thread need to die. Moderators?

Old 02-14-22, 10:27 PM
CliffordK

The reason that Kamila Valieva is being allowed to compete is that a doping charge may well lead to months of hearings before a final verdict is passed down.

Now, if she had been taking anabolic steroids, or EPO, the ruling might have been quick.

I find it amazing that an athlete would be caught with drugs in his or her system at the Olympics. If this was a training aid, then she should have weaned off of it months ago.

I'm curious why she was given trimetazidine.

I'm guessing that something with her skating is messing with her heart in a way that trimetazidine seems to help.

So, is it any different than cyclists with exercise induced asthma, and then taking asthma meds?
Old 02-14-22, 10:50 PM
CliffordK

Olympics are a joke anymore. I watch for the hockey but the rest...meh. Doping should be a zero tolerance on any level of sport and lifetime ban.
Any ban should be rationally applied.

We have last year that Shelby Houlihan was disqualified for nandrolone which is a very weak natural pork androgen. She claims it was from eating pork.

Sha'Carri Richardson was disqualified for using Marijuana which isn't considered performance enhancing.

Then back to cycling, we had Alberto Contador who had trace amounts of clenbuterol in his system. A dose that as very unlikely to be therapeutic.

And, of course, Chris Froome who had elevated Salbutamol, which had actually been prescribed, and approved by the WADA for asthma. And, the "standard" was based on swimmer metabolism, not cyclists.

I'm still waiting for Kamila Valieva's explanation for trimetazidine, and details of when and how it was prescribed.
Old 02-15-22, 01:16 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Any ban should be rationally applied.

Correct, no argument there but if found guilty.....hammer em. That would be more sever and end some of this dinking around with athletes.

As far as weed....not performance enhancing but that is another conversation all together not for this thread.
Old 02-15-22, 01:57 PM
CliffordK

Correct, no argument there but if found guilty.....hammer em. That would be more sever and end some of this dinking around with athletes.
Whatever the solution is, it has to be rational. I'm fine with the most blatant offenders being given a lifetime ban.

But, there are some that are picked up with a very low concentration of something that may not even be performance enhancing.

Low dose food borne like the runner that was snagged last year?

And, of course, nobody tells the truth.

Cycling has started using "Biological passports" for some time now. Essentially the elite athletes can be asked for a drug test anytime, anywhere. During the season or off-season.

It might be difficult to do that in other sports. But, those Olympic hopefuls could be required to sign up for a half dozen "random" tests, plus two competition tests during any year preceding the Olympics, or other major international competitions.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 02-15-22, 02:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by CliffordK

And, of course, nobody tells the truth.

THIS is a really bad pitfall of society.we are a sad people sometimes.