Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Derailleur adjustment question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-10, 10:13 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I replaced the old Altus with a new Deore 581 RD and the twister shifters with rapid-fires.

I set up the RD as always, setting high and low travel and adjusting the indexing knob so that all gear changes are perfect when the bike is in the rack.

But, when I am riding the chain goes right over the big cog and off the cassette upon a big shift, say a rapid fire up 3 cogs. I;ve not been able to adjust this to a satisfactory manner.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-19-10, 10:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Try tightening the inner limit a bit more.

The best test for a limit screw isn't to shift via the levers or twisters, but by pressing directly on the lower RD body, or shifting by drawing the bare wire away from the downtube like a bow string.

Direct shifting bypassing the shifters ensures that you have a true and positive limit screw setting, and not an illusory one based on a lever click. You need to find the limit setting that's bulletproof against over-shifting, yet allows a crisp shift from the second sprocket to the largest. Sometimes that's a delicate balancing act between a tightly set limit screw and a tighter trim setting via the barrel adjuster.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-19-10 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-19-10, 10:39 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
How did you set the low-limit? With the bike in the rack, and when pedaling, push the the derailleur by hand to move the chain towards the largest cog. Does the chain drop off into the spokes?

Edit: FBinNy says it better than I did.
Old 11-20-10, 01:49 AM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
How did you set the low-limit? With the bike in the rack, and when pedaling, push the the derailleur by hand to move the chain towards the largest cog. Does the chain drop off into the spokes?

Edit: FBinNy says it better than I did.
But note: both are pointing out the importance of testing the inner limit screw by moving the rear derailer withOUT using the twist shifter. The limit screw needs to be set to put an absolute limit on the movement of that derailer.
Old 11-20-10, 08:24 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Have you ever had the derailleur hanger alignment checked? Whenever I encounter a shifting problem that doesn't respond to basic tuneing efforts, the first thing that I do is to check the hanger alignment. That almost always fixes it.
Old 11-20-10, 10:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont overlook the adj of the "b" screw. If that adj is too wide it may make the chain too sloppy. My Sram 7 is adj to 6mm to the large sprocket for instance. If that and all else fails just tighten the limit screw about 1/8 th of a turn at a time and test ride.
Old 11-21-10, 08:43 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, posting my results... Looks like just about everyone was right

Thanks for the advice. I did notice that the Indexing knob was almost at it's outer limit, so I twisted it back in. I suspect that adjustment did little after all I did later but may took some relief from the threads in the long run.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Try tightening the inner limit a bit more.

The best test for a limit screw isn't to shift via the levers or twisters, but by pressing directly on the lower RD body, or shifting by drawing the bare wire away from the downtube like a bow string.

Direct shifting bypassing the shifters ensures that you have a true and positive limit screw setting, and not an illusory one based on a lever click. You need to find the limit setting that's bulletproof against over-shifting, yet allows a crisp shift from the second sprocket to the largest. Sometimes that's a delicate balancing act between a tightly set limit screw and a tighter trim setting via the barrel adjuster.
I never thought of adjusting by moving the derailer only, and you were right, there was more movement to go, quite a bit. I have filed this one under the remember column and will do it that way from now on. What an obvious oversight I have been making.

Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont overlook the adj of the "b" screw. If that adj is too wide it may make the chain too sloppy. My Sram 7 is adj to 6mm to the large sprocket for instance. If that and all else fails just tighten the limit screw about 1/8 th of a turn at a time and test ride.
I did check the b screw, it seemed OK.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Have you ever had the derailleur hanger alignment checked? Whenever I encounter a shifting problem that doesn't respond to basic tuneing efforts, the first thing that I do is to check the hanger alignment. That almost always fixes it.
Basically that issue. And I did a dumb one here. I cross threaded the derailer. Duh.

It was off by 2 or 3 degrees at least. I pulled the derailer and lucky me the bike had a removable derailer hanger. I pulled it and looked at it.

Luckily, I had a loose derailer bolt that went to some old stuff so I carefully threaded in from the left side, removed it and carefully screwed it correctly from the right, trying to clean up the threads.

I then put on the RD and it wanted to cross-thread again. So I tried one more time, holding the hanger a little the other way and BAM it threaded on. I popped on the hanger with the RD attached and everything just fell into place form there on...

THANKS EVERYONE

Last edited by gitarzan; 11-21-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-21-10, 09:19 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Ew, cross-threaded RD mount : /

Guaranteed to mess up your shifting.
Old 11-22-10, 02:07 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just for what it's worth:

Our derailleurs' movements are controlled by cable tension. Almost all shift issues can be traced to cable tension being improper in some way. If cable tension adjustments don't do the trick, then the next step (*always* start with cheap and simple) is to look at alignment issues.
Old 11-22-10, 02:49 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Blight
Our derailleurs' movements are controlled by cable tension.
/waits for a Di2 owner to come along and get his gloat on
Old 11-22-10, 03:06 AM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, computers are just a fad.