Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

PB Cascadia/ SKS Longboard Fenders

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 08:45 PM
mdesanc13

Bikes: Raleigh R300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know, another comparison thread. sorry

I have read many threads and have seen mixed opinions; I would just like to know exactly what I'm buying.

These two fender sets appear to be very similar, perhaps someone could tell me... are there any differences between the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and the SKS Longboard fenders?

Price is not in the question, the SKS set is $41 and the cascadias are $45.

I would just like to know coverage/durability/hardware quality-wise how they stack up to eachother.

I'm running a touring bike for touring/commuting with 700x28c Schwalbe MP's so im looking at the 45mm fenders.

Last edited by mdesanc13; 06-22-13 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-22-13, 09:31 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I have both, and the rear fenders are roughly the same but the Longboard front fender has much better coverage than the Cascadia. I use the Longboards on my every day rainy weather bike and it's amazing how clean the bike stays.
Old 06-23-13, 05:49 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I like planet bike hardcores, for installation, and looks. They seem more permanent, and less prone to rattle or misalignment.

Last edited by Wanderer; 06-23-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 02:24 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cascadias come with hardware for mounting around disc brakes,if that's a factor.

I prefer PB's regular Full fenders. The single strut design doesn't get knocked out of wack as easy as the Cascadia and SKS's nutted multiple struts. No need to carry a 8 or 10mm because someone bumped it while locked to the rack.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-23-13, 07:46 PM
mdesanc13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
disc brakes are not a factor. do you have previous experience with the cascadia/longboard style that makes them seem less permanent?
i know they are very long fenders, maybe that has something to do with it.
these are the hardcore fenders youre referring to, yes?
Old 06-23-13, 08:06 PM
mdesanc13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Cascadias come with hardware for mounting around disc brakes,if that's a factor.

I prefer PB's regular Full fenders. The single strut design doesn't get knocked out of wack as easy as the Cascadia and SKS's nutted multiple struts. No need to carry a 8 or 10mm because someone bumped it while locked to the rack.
and is this the fender you refer to?
Old 06-23-13, 08:22 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mdesanc13
Those are the fenders I have on my Crosstrail, with 35 and 40mm tires. They work great, are rattle free, and look OEM
Old 06-24-13, 04:08 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are the ones I like. The Hardcores,Cascadias,and SKS's have multiple struts that are held in place by nuts. It's not too hard to knock them out of alignment. Straightening them just means loosening the nuts,but I almost never have to do this with the standard models. Plus the standards look cleaner. I've used the standard models,Hardcores,Cascadias,and two sizes of SKS's,and quality wise they all seem pretty equal.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 06-24-13, 04:27 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I have two sets of Cascadias going back about 5 years now. Neither of my sets has any kind of emergency release. I'm not sure if that matters to you or if they're still making them like that. They seem pretty permanent that way.

They're tough enough that I didn't hesitate to drill holes, route electrical wires inside and mount a dynamo taillight to the rear. Also, I was able to get a set in white, which mattered to me. I don't regret purchasing either set.

My only other fender experience was a set of cheap Zefals that I didn't like but that did their job okay and a set of steel Schwinns that were difficult to install on my old Varsity.
Old 06-24-13, 11:22 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Those are the ones I like. The Hardcores,Cascadias,and SKS's have multiple struts that are held in place by nuts. It's not too hard to knock them out of alignment. Straightening them just means loosening the nuts,but I almost never have to do this with the standard models.
I've had a pair of the SKS on my touring bike for years, and it gets treated like dirt; it's been locked to all sorts of racks, thrown on buses, in trunks and in back of pickups, and I've never had a problem with the nuts holding the fender in place getting loose.
Old 06-25-13, 04:31 AM
ajshine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've run both for years and they provide similar coverage. The SKS have a metal core that should improve durability. The PB are all plastic. The key is avoiding all tension when mounting them to avoid developing stress risers. However, neither compares with the coverage from a Berthoud stainless fender (about$70). Rolled edges keep the water inside the fender and provide greater coverage. They mount rock solid and stay put. All fenders benefit from flaps to further reduce road spray, keeping you, your bike and the rider behind you cleaner. No problem with SKS or GB. I have not tried mounting a flap to a plastic PB though.

Apologize if this is a duplicate reply. Was about to post this / similar response a few minutes ago from my iPad when it vanished.
jon in PhillyPa
Old 06-25-13, 05:24 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have the SKS Longboards. Love them. One thing of note:They have that secu-clip on the front fender mount for safety so that the fender detaches safely so you don't get thrown over the bars if a stick gets jammed in the front fender. I don't know if the Cascadias have this safety feature.
Old 06-25-13, 07:14 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I have the Cascadias in 35mm and the Hardcores in 60mm with a Cascadia mudflap on the front. I like the PB fenders, and haven't tried the SKS.

Old 06-26-13, 04:48 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I've used both the PB and SKS on multiple bikes. I prefer the SKS due to the emergency release front and metal core.
Old 06-26-13, 10:15 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 1,339 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by lungimsam
I have the SKS Longboards. Love them. One thing of note:They have that secu-clip on the front fender mount for safety so that the fender detaches safely so you don't get thrown over the bars if a stick gets jammed in the front fender. I don't know if the Cascadias have this safety feature.
The Cascadias have that as well.
Old 06-26-13, 10:27 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the PB Cascadias and they have the emergency release for the front fender. They have very good coverage just like the SKS. Quality should be the same. They never get out of alignment even when hit if they are tightened down securely when installed. They have a single strut that mounts on two places on the fender and one for each side. They also have a nice rubber flap on each that extends the coverage. I love them.
Old 07-01-13, 11:18 AM
mdesanc13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I'm kind of stuck between the Longboards and the PB Hardcore fenders.
I guess my main dilemma is whether or not I want a super long mudflap. I do ride in cities a lot and if it hits the ground going over curbs then it may just be a pain.
I would think the Hardcore fenders give comparable coverage and get in the way less.
I'm terrible with decision making, I should really just get a set of fenders and call it a day
Old 07-01-13, 11:26 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Cascadias work better with disc brakes. They're also stiffer, laterally. The Longboards are longer, and offer more protection. I've used both (on the same bike), and the Cascadias can accommodate a slightly wider/taller tire.
Old 07-01-13, 11:38 AM
alan s 

I didn't mention that the Hardcores pictured above were modified by adding an extra set of stays on the front and a Cascadia mup flap, so it was essentially converted into a Cascadia. The extra stays add some stability, and the longer flap on the front helps keep water off your feet and drivetrain. I run 35mm tires under the 35mm Cascadias and 60mm tires under the 60mm Hardcores with plenty of tire clearance.
Old 07-01-13, 11:41 AM
mdesanc13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
The Cascadias work better with disc brakes. They're also stiffer, laterally. The Longboards are longer, and offer more protection. I've used both (on the same bike), and the Cascadias can accommodate a slightly wider/taller tire.
like i just mentioned, im kind of worried about how low the mudflaps go, particularly on the front wheel
how are they going over curbs and going through unpaved roads/off road?
Old 07-01-13, 11:45 AM
alan s 

like i just mentioned, im kind of worried about how low the mudflaps go, particularly on the front wheel
No issue with hitting curbs whatsoever. The front mudflap is known to pick up small sticks which could jam the front wheel with an ensuing endo, so the safety release is important, as is keeping an eye out for debris. Happened to me once, and broke the fender, rather than causing an accident.
Old 07-01-13, 12:00 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daily commute includes several miles of dirt roads/trails, and I haven't experienced any issues. The bottom edge of the front flap shows some wear, but nothing serious.
Old 07-01-13, 02:38 PM
biketrouble

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used both and overall I like the Longboards better, for coverage and for material (plastic/metal laminate) and also (IMO) a nicer profile. However on my set, the rivets securing the hardware where the stays attach on my front fender all rotted/broke over the course of one Vancouver winter - though it was easy to replace them with something better.

Cascadias do have the advantage of coming with the spacers useful for mounting with disc brakes and (at least where I live) much easier availability. You probably won't go wrong with either.
Old 07-01-13, 09:56 PM
mdesanc13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sks it is
Old 07-02-13, 04:43 AM
kimberyote

Bikes: Trek 7.6 & Giant Cypress LX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a set of velo orange put on my bike. I think they look cool.
Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.