Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

cotter pin remover tool

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

cotter pin remover tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 08:46 AM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cotter pin remover tool

I have been looking for something to extract cotter pins from a Raleigh crank. The last time it was done, I handed the bike in to the local repair shop, but it was not a good job. The guy there ended up drilling out the old cotter pins, and I am slighly worried he might have damaged the crank set on one side; it never really tightened up again once the new cotter pins was in (like one of the cotter pins is slighly too small).

However, once the pins where out, I cleaned, replaced damaged ball cage my self, greased and let the repair guy tighten the crank with the idea he knew how to get it right better than me. However, I think he was tired of it all, he was about to close his shop in a couple of months and was a bit hasty in his work.

I think I need to do this my self this time to make sure it's done reasonably correctly. There is one, possibly two, other repairs shops in town that will take in vintage bikes, but I have to supply all replacement parts my self. The best way might be if I could manage on my own.

I could go on and on with the problems and hours spend on this crank LOL.

Does anyone know if the clever tool to extract the cotter pins is available some where? There is a couple of threads with a video and drawing of how to make your own cotter pin tool, but welding tools are needed and it's a bit out of my league. Does anyone have a spare for sale? I'm not sure how to go about it this time.
Old 03-19-17, 08:52 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...ed-cranks.html
Old 03-19-17, 09:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Type "cotter pin press tool" into your search engine.
Hit "images" and you'll find a few.
Click on any for details.

To my knowledge, only the one that looks like a square C cut from a block of steel is still available new.

OR

You can learn how to reliably hammer pins out successfully, with no damage to the bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-19-17 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 09:25 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The way I did it when I had a cottered crank (in 1972 or so) was to remove the nut, replace it with a spare (sacrificial) nut, finger tighten the sacrificial nut, back the sacrificail nut off one thread or so and then really whack that nut with a hammer. The nut protected the threads, but also gives a bigger surface area to whack, or to mate up with a punch that you whack. Ideally the crank itself is supported directly (that is, don't put the bike in a maintenance stand and try to drive the cotter out without really beefy support directly under the crank arm on either side of the cotter). Sheldon suggested used a spare crank as an anvile, I put the whole thing on top of a really beefy vice (a 6 inch Wilton bullet for example) vise. Once removed, carefully inspect the spindle and the holes in the crank arms where the cotters (they're cotters, not cotter pins) go. Drill marks on either is a bad sign. The cotter should be a sliding fit with no slop. If the cotter feels at all loose in that hole, then either the guy hit the crank with the drill, or the cotter holes were stretched at some point.

Pay attention to what Sheldon wrote: you need to press the cotters in, orient them in opposite directions to ensure that the crank lines up, and after an initial few miles of riding, press them in again. The nut and washer are not the mechanism for tightening the cotter: a press is. The nut only is there to keep the thing snug.
Old 03-19-17, 09:28 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ter-press.html
Old 03-19-17, 09:39 AM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=FBinNY;19452174

You can learn how to reliably hammer pins out successfully, witness no damage to the bike.[/QUOTE]

They don't all come out the same way. The last Raleigh crank I had one came out normally, the other one needed to be drilled. If one works on cotters cranks more than once it's probably worth scaring up or making a tool.
Old 03-19-17, 10:04 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickey2
...it never really tightened up again once the new cotter pins was in (like one of the cotter pins is slighly too small).
It *is* possible the cotter's too small. British and Asian cotters are typically 9.5 mm in diameter, while 9.0 is common for French and Italian cranksets.

As for tooling, in addition to the methods mentioned above, it's also possible to improvise a press with a vise and socket.
Old 03-19-17, 10:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by jorglueke
They don't all come out the same way. The last Raleigh crank I had one came out normally, the other one needed to be drilled. If one works on cotters cranks more than once it's probably worth scaring up or making a tool.
Sorry, but IMO anyone who ever has to drill a cotter pin has failed as bike mechanic.

They ALL come out with a hammer, no exceptions. Most come out with a single blow, though a few need some extra persuasion. The hardest to remove are those that some ham fisted clod worked on first. But they too come out with some prep work.

BTW this is based on years of working on bikes before the advent of cotterless cranks. Cottered cranks haven't changed, but the skills related to them have atrophied after 40 years.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-19-17, 10:19 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SkyDog75
It *is* possible the cotter's too small. British and Asian cotters are typically 9.5 mm in diameter, while 9.0 is common for French and Italian cranksets.

As for tooling, in addition to the methods mentioned above, it's also possible to improvise a press with a vise and socket.
The vise method works very well. My only objection is that it's awkward to set up, especially when dealing with a cotter that someone else has mushroomed.

However it may be better for someone who isn't comfortable swinging a hammer.

Old 03-19-17, 10:35 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The vise method works very well. My only objection is that it's awkward to set up, especially when dealing with a cotter that someone else has mushroomed.

However it may be better for someone who isn't comfortable swinging a hammer.
How about a big C-clamp in place of the vise and a socket to provide clearance for the cotter to come out. Same technique except you don't have to hold the frame at such an awkward angle.

Years ago I worked on a couple of old Stronglight cottered cranks and had no real problems removing the cotters using the above technique. I never had to reinstall the cotters since the purpose of removing them was to replace the entire crank and bottom bracket with something a lot lighter and easier to work on.
Old 03-19-17, 10:47 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by HillRider
How about a big C-clamp in place of the vise and a socket to provide clearance for the cotter to come out. Same technique except you don't have to hold the frame at such an awkward angle.

Years ago I worked on a couple of old Stronglight cottered cranks and had no real problems removing the cotters using the above technique. I never had to reinstall the cotters since the purpose of removing them was to replace the entire crank and bottom bracket with something a lot lighter and easier to work on.
C-clamps aren't built to nearly the strength needed to press out a tight pin. I know of far too many cases where the net result was destroyed C-clamps, and also of a few, fortunately minor, injuries caused by tensioned clamps jumping off

Old 03-19-17, 11:57 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Sorry, but IMO anyone who ever has to drill a cotter pin has failed as bike mechanic.
No need to apologize and I completely agree.

The issue today is no bikes come with cottered cranks so the mechanics don't have much experience with them.

A 3/4" brass rod and a dead-blow hammer does the trick once you support the crank on top of a 2x10 board so as to take the pressure off the crank and frame. I had three 2x10 boards I cut maybe two feet long and nailed them together like a laminate and drilled a 1" hole on the outside one to accept the pin when driving it out. It's easier to have somebody support the bike for you.

That board saw a lot of action when I worked in shops through the 70's.
Old 03-19-17, 11:59 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by drlogik
No need to apologize and I completely agree.
I don't apologize for the content of my posts. I apologize for any hurt feelings they might cause.

Old 03-19-17, 12:09 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

C-clamps aren't built to nearly the strength needed to press out a tight pin.
You don't have the right C-clamp! I wasn't recommending a 2" or 3" lightweight but something big and STRONG, say 4" or more and steel, not aluminum.

And, yes you do have to keep the swivel pad on the screwpress centered over the cotterpin's threaded end to keep it from popping off. Threading the cotter's nut part way, as recommended for the hammer technique will give the C-clamp a more stable flat surface to press against.
Old 03-19-17, 12:22 PM
FBinNY 

You don't have the right C-clamp! I wasn't recommending a 2" or 3" lightweight but something big and STRONG, say 4" or more and steel, not aluminum.

And, yes you do have to keep the swivel pad on the screwpress centered over the cotterpin's threaded end to keep it from popping off. Threading the cotter's nut part way, as recommended for the hammer technique will give the C-clamp a more stable flat surface to press against.
Yes, it can be done, but I've seen the clamp deflect and twist slightly then jump off with quite a bit of energy.

However, That too can be managed with care. But raises another question. If one doesn't do carpentry or cabinet making, odds are they don't have an appropriate clamp, so if it's a purchase, they might as well buy one of the presses.

OTOH - most people own a hammer, and can scrounge up various bits of scrap they can use to properly dolly the crank. All they lack is knowledge, which can be had free.

BTW - Years ago, I walked into a bike shop that was struggling with a jammed pin. I won a bet removing with my first shot, and ended up winning a wife.

Old 03-19-17, 12:26 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
BTW this is based on years of working on bikes before the advent of cotterless cranks. Cottered cranks haven't changed, but the skills related to them have atrophied after 40 years.
@FBinNY,

One tool that I wish that I still had from the 1st shop that I worked in was a brass-headed hammer shaped for just this task.
Woe unto he who attempted to use it for any other.

My shop mentor said that the brass head didn't re-bound like a steel one and one sharp accurate strike would suffice.
That being said we had an as nearly ancient forged (VAR ?) cotter press that weighed a ton to frighten any cotter into simply dropping to the floor in fright.

-Bandera
Old 03-19-17, 12:30 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They ALL come out with a hammer, no exceptions. Most come out with a single blow, though a few need some extra persuasion. The hardest to remove are those that some ham fisted clod worked on first. But they too come out with some prep work.

Well, I'm just 9 for 10.
Old 03-19-17, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Other Period Shop Tool from BITD was A Cotter Gripping Clamp you put in the Bench vise, while you filed the soft steel cotter wedge .

to ba a Goldilocks fit, when you dropped it in the hole..

leaving the nut on, just backed off a little, has worked to hammer on the nut + cotter , enough to loosen it, but still keep the thread in good shape
to put it back together..

Bene Sugg : never pull the cotter pin with the Nut, bang on the other end, the nut snugged up just keeps it in there.

NB: ball pein hammers are softer steel than carpenter's hammers..

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-19-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-19-17, 03:11 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
never pull the cotter pin with the Nut, bang on the other end, the nut snugged up just keeps it in there.
Better yet, use the same press you used to remove the pin to press it back into place.
Old 03-19-17, 03:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had to make Replacement cotter pins, Back in my Day ..

then there were several sizes , some needed shaping to fit,

As a kid of 10, in 1957, I did not have a lot of bike tools, but a few screwed up jobs did teach me some shortcuts, to not bugger it up again..
Old 03-19-17, 04:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts

You need a REAL C clamp. Of course, unless you already own one, the cost of a heavy duty c clamp you can buy a cotter press.

We used to pick up sheets of 3/4" steel with a couple of these and the overhead crane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P3195516 - Edited.jpg (97.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 03-19-17, 05:28 PM
HillRider

BTW - Years ago, I walked into a bike shop that was struggling with a jammed pin. I won a bet removing with my first shot, and ended up winning a wife.
Wow, that's priceless! I do have to ask what was second prize?
Old 03-19-17, 05:30 PM
FBinNY 

Wow, that's priceless! I do have to ask what was second prize?
I think the bet was for something like $5.00, the relationship just grew out of the small seed.

Old 03-19-17, 05:37 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

...the cotters themselves have changed dramatically. And I take personal offense at being called a failure.

I might be a failure, but getting called out on the internet for using a drill on a cotter instead of mindlessly continuing to pound away on it while cursing under my breath at the thing is not the reason. So there.
Old 03-19-17, 05:49 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the cotters themselves have changed dramatically. And I take personal offense at being called a failure.

I might be a failure, but getting called out on the internet for using a drill on a cotter instead of mindlessly continuing to pound away on it while cursing under my breath at the thing is not the reason. So there.
I would never call you or anybody else out as a failure. I made a general statement with no individuals in mind, and after that it was more of a "iff the shoe fits....." kind of thing.

That said, I'm not the national arbiter of standards for mechanics, so nobody is obligated to accept my rules.

As for mindlessly pounding away, that would be dumb, but it is possible to pound intelligently and skillfully.

I've tapped out countless cotters in my lifetime, and have won bets knocking out ones that others were convinced needed drilling. Of course they all said "yeah, but all my pounding loosened it for you".

So, please don't be offended, you and I have always been able to cross swords without disrespect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.