Old 04-02-23, 06:41 PM
igorgroks

Bikes: Masi Fixed Speciale.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 46 Posts
CA 1 From Leggett to Ft Bragg.

Planning a trip border to border and would like to get off 101 to the coast at Leggett. Checking on Google Earth this road looks sketchy AF. Anybody want to talk me out of it, or an alternate? I've approached Bragg by car from the south (128 from Cloverdale.) No shoulder and giant logging trucks. Has anyone done it?
Old 04-11-23, 11:57 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts
The Leggett to Ft. Bragg segment is part of the Pacific Coast Bike route. I haven't done it since 1991, but it wasn't memorable in any negative sense.

The Leggett hill is memorable.
Old 04-11-23, 12:05 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 430 Posts
Have driven that segment scores of times, over the years. (From both directions.) Never on a bike, though.

Beautiful section, here and there. Quite hilly and remote, as you know, and under much tree cover much of the time. What views there might be are rendered invisible due to the hills and trees.

It is most definitely a "sketchy" road, for safe cycling. Poor general visibility along much of it, given how dappled and spotty the sunlight and deep shadows are there.

I have encountered bicycles a couple of times, but it always struck me how close I got to them while approaching. IMO, the visibility's going to be the worst part of it. There isn't much shoulder, ever. There are some sections where there'll be sufficient light to clearly see a cyclist, but plenty of spots where a cyclist will visually just disappear into the gloom.

If you are going to attempt it I would strongly suggest the absolute brightest (multiple) lighting you can have, including eye-splatteringly bright clothing ... perhaps even a rod-mounted flag sticking up in the air to announce your presence.
Old 04-11-23, 09:49 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
I wouldn't...I've not ridden the whole way, but I've ridden a portion of it, just north of Fort Bragg, and I've driven about halfway to Leggett. It is crazy sketchy! I had the closest call I have ever had in all my years riding on that stretch. There's a never ending parade of log trucks going both directions, and I came *THIS* close to getting run over by one, literally ran me off the road. There are a lot of very tight blind curves, and it's VERY undulating, with steep 10% grades, and zero shoulder...Not to mention the beautiful views that distract drivers...I would avoid it, which is a shame considering how scenic it is.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 04-12-23, 04:02 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Pretty much all of Hwy from Leggett south to the Bay Area is narrow, twisty and roller-y.. Logging trucks (in the north), motor homes and regular tourists in cars are constants. It can also be foggy pretty much any given day. Good reasons to be concerned.

On the other hand, hundreds and perhaps thousands of cyclists ride the Pacific Coast bike route, including Leggett to Fort Bragg, every year. If you do it, I suspect you will be fine and have a great time. But it all depends on your tolerance for traffic risk.

The one section of Hwy 1 I simply would not ride is from Stinson Beach to the Golden Gate Bridge - way too many San Franciscans heading to the beach on that road, especially if it is a warm sunny day. Head inland at Olema or Pt Reyes Station. There are any number of route guides that can direct you. I probably would ride Leggett to Fort Bragg; I will never ride Stinson Beach to the Golden Gate. Ever.
Old 04-13-23, 03:23 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
That's funny you say that, because that's the stretch I ride most often. I'll do a loop up to Mt. Tam, then down Panoramic Hwy to Stinson, then back up 1. Yes there are lot of cars, but for some reason I don't feel like it's much more dangerous than a lot of other roads I ride. The portion going uphill from the coast back up to Panoramic isn't fun, but at least there's not much for the drivers to be distracted by...