Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the law for bikes and stop signs?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is the law for bikes and stop signs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 05:27 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Track stands on a 22 speed need practice.

You of course are only speaking of Cal Vehicle code unless you know the section in all 50 states .
This is true. And it raises an interesting question: is anyone aware of a statutory requirement that a cyclist put a foot down when stopping? I would bet there isn't one.
Old 02-29-16, 05:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Pay Pal deal in wagers?
Old 02-29-16, 06:07 PM
mje

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Sequoia, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
This is true. And it raises an interesting question: is anyone aware of a statutory requirement that a cyclist put a foot down when stopping? I would bet there isn't one.
I don't if it is the actually case in Arizona or not, but when I was in Tucson once a few years ago, I noticed how adept some cyclists were at swiping their foot on the ground while blowing through stop signs at speed. It seemed that touching the ground, regardless of cessation of forward motion, was what counted as a stop there.
Old 02-29-16, 06:54 PM
sheltonlp
Road Newbie

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Scott Speedster 20, Giant 29er Hardtail MTB, Giant Full Susp MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://youtu.be/azFUWiI2yA0 Definitely required to stop in Oregon...

Last edited by sheltonlp; 02-29-16 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-29-16, 07:42 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
If you were coming down a good size hill and there was a stop sign at the bottom and no cars within 500' but there is a policeman on the other side of the road, would you slow down or even stop at that intersection?

Normally I would just blow through the stop sign if I feel it is safe and there are no cars around but am I breaking the law? I think it might vary from state to state or even city by city but I'm not sure if car laws are the same for bikes. Both are moving vehicles I'm guessing but do those laws pertain to bikes?

Just wondering...
I never really know how to interpret that when I read it. If by blow through you mean you simply don't come to a complete stop, then I don't think that's a huge deal. The act of stopping does nothing to increase safety. It's all about making sure nothing is coming. But within the context you used "blow through a stop sign" coming down a good size hill, it would probably be against the law even in ID and certainly ill advised in almost every situation. I'd urge you to become familiar with your state vehicle laws and the laws that are bicycle specific.
Old 02-29-16, 08:13 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As noted, Iowa allows cyclists to treat stop signs as yield signs. Also, they may treat steady red lights as flashing red lights, which means they must stop but may then proceed through the steady red light if there is no traffic.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Point of clarification.

Has Iowa adopted the so-called Idaho law? Or do you have the two states confused?
Yes, the IOWA stop law is very different than the IDAHO stop law. In Iowa, it is basically OK to treat stop signs as yield signs, EXCEPT after the fourth of July. By then the corn is too high, and you can't safely see cross traffic. After the harvest, you're free to roll 'em again.

Sorry, I just can't pass up an opportunity to promote my neighbors to the south.
Old 02-29-16, 08:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Depends. In the OP's specific hypothetical situation I'd definitely stop.

In the same situation without a LE officer present, it would depend on the terrain and type of intersection:
  • *On flat terrain at most stop signs I often do a quick stop without putting my feet down. I let the bike rock forward and back (easily done, very visibly, with a suspension fork), then take off.
  • *If it's a stop sign on my side without a stop sign on the intersecting side, and the non-stop sign road is a highway exit, or not clearly visible for a couple hundred yards, I'll do a quick stop and double check every direction. Just a good habit so I don't overlook the 18-wheeler barreling down on me.
  • *If the take-off is uphill and I'm turning right, or if it's a four-way stop intersection with a clear view in every direction, I'll usually roll through. Especially if there's a car behind me.
In my personal experience, most of the incidents when I've been struck from behind were by cars moving slowly at stop signs. They expect me to roll through because they're going to roll through. If I stop, I risk being hit. It happened many times when I commuted years ago.

I stop at all stop lights, or find a way around. In some tricky scenarios I'll zip around in a parking lot or sidewalk. Mostly because some traffic lights on my routes are uphill and it's damned difficult to get back up to speed quickly. So I'll circumvent the light and rejoin traffic from a level or downhill zone.
Old 02-29-16, 09:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
When thinking about traffic lights and stop signs, it pays to keep in mind that not all laws are the same.

There are laws of man and laws of nature.

Ignore traffic signs and the worst that can happen for violating the laws of man is a citation and possible fine. OTOH the penalties for ignoring the laws of nature can be far more serious.

I'm not invested in your attitude about the laws of man, but urge you to use some common sense about the laws of nature.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-29-16, 09:23 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
When thinking about traffic lights and stop signs, it pays to keep in mind that not all laws are the same.

Ignore traffic signs and the worst that can happen for violating the laws of man is a citation and possible fine. OTOH the penalties for ignoring the laws of nature can be far more serious.

I'm not invested in your attitude about the laws of man, but urge you to use some common sense about the laws of nature.
Fulfilling the intent of the law is more important than the letter of the law.
Old 02-29-16, 09:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
If you were coming down a good size hill and there was a stop sign at the bottom and no cars within 500' but there is a policeman on the other side of the road, would you slow down or even stop at that intersection?

Normally I would just blow through the stop sign if I feel it is safe and there are no cars around but am I breaking the law? I think it might vary from state to state or even city by city but I'm not sure if car laws are the same for bikes. Both are moving vehicles I'm guessing but do those laws pertain to bikes?

Just wondering...
Bicycles are vehicles of the road. So it's simple. If there's a stop sign, you stop.

You know you can look up the law for your local area, right?
Old 02-29-16, 09:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Okay, here in CA bikes have to follow all vehicle laws that of cars etc. From the CA DMV: "Bicycle riders on public roads have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists, and are subject to the same rules and regulations. Refer to the California Driver Handbook to become familiar with these rules" So I guess I was breaking the law by blowing pass the stop signs.
OK then.
Old 02-29-16, 09:53 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sheltonlp
https://youtu.be/azFUWiI2yA0 Definitely required to stop in Oregon...
Do you know if this passed? Link below.... There's a lot of lights in Beaverton that I'll run after a cycle. The roads see little traffic and I'd be stuck if not. Tried a Google search but couldn't find any updates on it.

To clarify, the senate passed the law but it was headed to the house for approval.

Oregon Senate passes bill allowing bicycles, motorcycles to run red lights | OregonLive.com
Old 02-29-16, 10:11 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Do you know if this passed? Link below.... There's a lot of lights in Beaverton that I'll run after a cycle....
The law doesn't actually change much except to codify what's probably been standard practice all along.

Most cops and courts recognize that nobody is expected to wait forever for a broken light to change. So even where there's no law that covers the exception, you shouldn't get cited if you wait a reasonable amount of time before proceeding past a light that isn't changing. All this law does, is put this unwritten law into writing.

My question, is how long is a "cycle" when the light isn't changing.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-29-16, 10:42 PM
sheltonlp
Road Newbie

Bikes: Focus Izalco, Scott Speedster 20, Giant 29er Hardtail MTB, Giant Full Susp MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't know about the law but I ride a lot in Washington County where lights do not normally change for me. There are a few intersections that actually have a little bike symbol where there is a sensor but that's maybe 3-4 that I know of. In busy intersections I just use the crosswalk buttons but that's a real PITA and I always feel like I should be walking my bike across the crosswalk...lol.

I can't complain too much because all and all Wash County, as well as PDX, are very bike friendly.

The only time I can't bring myself to stop on a red light or a stop sign is in those 3-way intersections without a cross street where there is no way I can impede traffic by just going through. If a cop wants to give me a ticket, by all means go ahead.
Old 02-29-16, 11:06 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I never really know how to interpret that when I read it. If by blow through you mean you simply don't come to a complete stop, then I don't think that's a huge deal. The act of stopping does nothing to increase safety. It's all about making sure nothing is coming. But within the context you used "blow through a stop sign" coming down a good size hill, it would probably be against the law even in ID and certainly ill advised in almost every situation. I'd urge you to become familiar with your state vehicle laws and the laws that are bicycle specific.
Let me clarify... I should have said that don't usually make a full stop but do a rolling stop watching for cars all the time and making sure I can cross safely. But there are times where I can see the whole intersection and don't slow down too much but just cross. Of course if there are cars there I will make sure they see me and and I see them then stop completely if they have the right of way. So as I mention previously I will now slow down and at least try to make an attempt at stopping even if no one is there...
Old 02-29-16, 11:31 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I always stop at every stop sign whenever there is any other road user present or approaching the intersection.
Originally Posted by Ty0604
Do you know if this passed? Link below.... There's a lot of lights in Beaverton that I'll run after a cycle. The roads see little traffic and I'd be stuck if not. Tried a Google search but couldn't find any updates on it.
Yes, it passed. I have proceeded through red lights that don't cycle/fail to detect before and after this bill giving me legal permission.

SB 533 :: Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker - Your Government - The Oregonian

Last edited by dragoonO1; 02-29-16 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 02:10 AM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Blowing" through an intersection is just a bad idea. Where I live there's a law against lane sharing. If they want me to come to a complete stop, then they need to cite any vehicle that drives past me, because I own the lane. I guess it's a bit of a grey area, and no local judge will fine you. That being said, I generally stop, because track stands are cool.
Old 03-01-16, 04:24 AM
chedarhead

Bikes: cinelli,falcon super route. masi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I follow the law. If there is a stop sign I stop. I don't always touch the toe but I stop. I was once asked by a coworker if I put my foot down to prove a stop and I said no do you when you drive your truck.
Old 03-01-16, 04:40 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Here's the thing I keep in mind ... I, on my bicycle, am small and vulnerable. A motor vehicle is large, heavy, fast-moving, and these days, sometimes, very quiet.

If I have a stop sign, I want to stop and make sure it is indeed safe for me to go.
Old 03-01-16, 05:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Normally I would just blow through the stop sign if I feel it is safe and there are no cars around but am I breaking the law? [YES]. I think it might vary from state to state or even city by city but I'm not sure if car laws are the same for bikes. Both are moving vehicles I'm guessing but do those laws pertain to bikes?

Just wondering...

Well said, @FB. I won’t discuss my own riding habits vis-á-vis auto traffic laws, but personally if I note a policeman, I will follow the auto laws, just out of respect for the cop, even though in Boston the police are notorious for ignoring cyclists and pedestrians. Cambridge, MA is a different matter; and bicycle traffic laws are strictly enforced, and you better be careful even if no police are in sight.

Massachusetts has a peculiar law requiring a police officer at construction sites, and whenever I pass one, I give the officer a wave, and usually get back a nod. Since they are on foot, away from the patrol car, it’s unlikely they would give pursuit if you broke the law.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-01-16 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-01-16, 07:19 AM
dipy911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come to as much of a stop as I would when I am driving my car.
Old 03-01-16, 01:19 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Here is another scenario... What do you guys do at a "T" intersection if there is a red light and you are in the straight part of the intersection? Cars may be turning left but they can't go straight. Would you stop and wait for the light to turn green or just do a rolling stop and then go?

If there is a policeman I think I would stop then go. If in a car, yes, I stop and wait for the light to turn green but on a bike I tend to ignore the red light. Again, I guess I am breaking the law but still....
Old 03-01-16, 01:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wouldn't run that (or any) light in my car because I drive my car faster than I ride my bike, my car weighs drastically more, it has more inertia so can be harder to slow or stop, and if I hit somebody or something, I'm going to do far more damage than if I hit that person or thing with my bike. Also, my car is less maneuverable than my bike, it's harder to avoid something.

On a bike, it would depend more on the circumstances. I've been known to run red lights in busy areas with a stop light at every block; instead of being bunched up with traffic, which is less safe and also slows the cars behind me down, it can be better to get ahead of it all. If I'm going to stop a block later anyway, I can stay ahead of traffic that long. In general if there's a lot of traffic I'll try to find a quieter route, but that's not always possible.

Also keep in mind, when you say things like "cars can go left but they can't go straight," that some drivers run red lights too. Even with cameras. Maybe they're drunk, maybe they're reading a text, maybe they're just impatient and thought it was "orange."
Old 03-01-16, 01:39 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dipy911
I come to as much of a stop as I would when I am driving my car.
Yup. Around here the only times that cars get pulled over for a "rolling stop" are when the cops are just looking for an excuse to pull the car over. And the only times that anyone gets cited for it are when the cops find what they suspected---drugs, an illegal gun, driver drunk, etc. That is, when not justifying the initial stop with a citation would cause a judge to get suspicious that it was just a "pretext stop". Otherwise, they get a "be a little more careful next time" and get sent on their way.
Old 03-01-16, 08:06 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
It's a state regulation .. read your state Vehicle codes. I can't do that for You.
Yes you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.