Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

2018 Tour of California - So Cal edition...

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

2018 Tour of California - So Cal edition...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 10:21 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Antartico
I’ll pass. In my case, it would mean $1k weekend.
Same here...I priced it out earlier, more like $600 for me (depending on how much I eat lol)....but I need to pay off my credit card someday after all the bike crap I've bought over the past 18 months.
Old 02-22-18, 10:31 PM
Antartico

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
Same here...I priced it out earlier, more like $600 for me (depending on how much I eat lol)....but I need to pay off my credit card someday after all the bike crap I've bought over the past 18 months.
Similar situation, my NY’s resolution was to cut the fondos, specially those far away and design my own brutal rides
Old 02-22-18, 10:56 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Antartico
Similar situation, my NY’s resolution was to cut the fondos, specially those far away and design my own brutal rides
Yep, me too - I signed up for the Belgian Waffle Ride, but have been sick on and off since the end of December and my training is completely f'ed at this point....prob gonna have to downgrade to the Wafer, but not happy about that as that was the only ride I had really planned on signing up for this year.
Old 02-27-18, 05:17 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have a friend who produces the TV coverage. He got a couple of friends and me into the beer garden at the Santa Clarita finish line last year or the year before. It was fun to do once, and we got food, but if I had to do it over again, I’d find a place to camp out on a serious climb. They’re in a full sprint at the finish, which is exciting and all, but the experience was over in seconds. Sitting on a climb would mean more time watching the suffering.
Old 02-28-18, 02:21 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
I have a friend who produces the TV coverage. He got a couple of friends and me into the beer garden at the Santa Clarita finish line last year or the year before. It was fun to do once, and we got food, but if I had to do it over again, I’d find a place to camp out on a serious climb. They’re in a full sprint at the finish, which is exciting and all, but the experience was over in seconds. Sitting on a climb would mean more time watching the suffering.
camp 9 woulda been an awesome place to watch the mtn battle before the plunge into santa clarita. i posted up there but then got antsy at the prospect of waiting around 45 mins or so...so i caught the sprint finish-mostly on the big screens-in old town sc. did get to toodle around with 20 or so riders that took off on a cool down ride immed afterwards. that was worth missing the action on the climb.
Old 05-03-18, 05:34 PM
bowser29

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Anybody watching in Long Beach next Sunday? Where would be the best spot to watch?
Old 05-08-18, 05:15 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
i thought the whole stage might get moved but it looks like just the approach to gibraltar is affected:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/debris-flow-damage-forces-tour-of-california-to-tweak-gibraltar-stage/

still planning to be in the area that
monday but may do some other climbs like refugio or painted cave instead. just depends if i wanna get involved with the crowds or not.
Old 05-11-18, 01:09 AM
Vegasclimber
Typical MAMIL

Bikes: 2011 CAAD-10, 2017 Evo HiMod Team Di2, 2018 Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bowser29
Anybody watching in Long Beach next Sunday? Where would be the best spot to watch?
I will be there. Staying at the Queen Mary on Saturday night so we have parking, then walking across the bridge in the morning to the start. Planning on being there about 10 so we can catch all the sign-in theatrics. Watch the race and then run back to Vegas.

If you check on the website, there is a route map with some suggestions. My goal is to photograph from at least 4 locations during the 12 laps, so I will be hustling a bit between laps. Belmont Brewing Company is touted as a good location, being as the peloton has to slow down there to loop back towards the start.

​​​​​​https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/2018-stage-1-mens
Old 05-11-18, 02:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i thought the whole stage might get moved but it looks like just the approach to gibraltar is affected:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/debr...braltar-stage/

still planning to be in the area that
monday but may do some other climbs like refugio or painted cave instead. just depends if i wanna get involved with the crowds or not.
I didn't read the link, but I just pedaled up Gibraltar and down painted cave, without issue last weekend.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-14-18, 06:49 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I watched it on television yesterday. Was it because of Mother's Day? The crowds were not what I thought would be there. Being in Los Angeles County, I thought it would be full of people along the route.

Nice aerial shots from the blimp and helicopter. Makes me want to go visit Long Beach.