Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sweat Management

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Sweat Management

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-23, 04:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Been fighting this for a long time - the answer to your question is YES, although I am not sure if it is eyebrows or the skin in my eye sockets (or both).

Today is an interesting (non-cycling) example. I was on the golf course (walking but using a push cart) and it was North Carolina humid and around 90 degrees. I was waiting for a playing partner to hit and I took my towel and thoroughly dried off my face, hair, arms, and hands and walked on after he hit. When I got to my ball (a minute later maybe) my eye sockets were soaking wet. No way did sweat from my scalp/forehead make it down to my eye sockets in that amount of time (where my bucket hat serves as kind of a sweat band).

I have noticed a similar phenomenon on my bike. I recall once, on a particularly tough day (hot/humid) already wiping out my eyes at the intersection of Burning Tree Rd and Diamond Dr - this would be maybe 4 minutes into my ride. I was already wiping out my eye sockets at that point - I was probably wearing a SweatVac at the time plus (maybe) a SweatGutr (but maybe not).

Just the way it is for me - I seem to be somewhat unusual in this respect.

dave
Yeah it’s not typical. Best bet is to wear sweatband (halo or otherwise) low over your eyebrows, really just as low as it can go without messing with your ability to open eyes fully.

If that does not work, see a dermatologist about possible Botox injections for focal hyperhydrosis. That may be quite pricey.
Old 07-07-23, 06:29 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8842 Post(s)
Liked 2,989 Times in 1,738 Posts
Dave, It sounds like an annoying problem. Best of luck on a solution.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 07-07-23, 07:12 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Yeah it’s not typical. Best bet is to wear sweatband (halo or otherwise) low over your eyebrows, really just as low as it can go without messing with your ability to open eyes fully.

If that does not work, see a dermatologist about possible Botox injections for focal hyperhydrosis. That may be quite pricey.
I have made my peace (cannot believe that my original post said 'piece') with the eye sweat thing and just look to optimizing how I deal with it. Interestingly, old age has an advantage here (my DOB is 1949). My ftp has dropped 15 to 20% since the 2016 timeframe. Since I cannot work as hard as I used to, I do sweat a bit less than 5 to 7 years ago. But that and Senior Day at the local grocery store is about it for old age advantages :-)

dave

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 07-09-23 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-09-23, 11:24 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
I have made my piece with the eye sweat thing and just look to optimizing how I deal with it. Interestingly, old age has an advantage here (my DOB is 1949). My ftp has dropped 15 to 20% since the 2016 timeframe. Since I cannot work as hard as I used to, I do sweat a bit less than 5 to 7 years ago. But that and Senior Day at the local grocery store is about it for old age advantages :-)

dave
My hat is off to you. I hope I'm still riding enough for sweat to be a problem in 14 years. Good luck dealing with what sounds like a tough problem. Does using better ventilated glasses help?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-10-23, 05:55 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Regarding ventilated glasses - that would probably help, but I am not sure what those are (I wear traditional eyeglasses when I ride and do not wear sunglasses).

Just in the FWIW category, I rode yesterday morning and it was humid but not yet hot - 78 degrees per my home thermometer. I was 6 minutes into the ride when I felt the first drop of sweat drip off my left eyelid down onto the skin just below/left of my eye. Since I posted this I have been paying more attention to this stuff.

I will probably do what I did last year and get out the dozen or so one- quarter of a washcloth pieces and carry those (in a plastic bag) on my hot rides. They are easy to manage and you can kind of slip those under your glasses to wipe out your eyes so a wipe every minute or two is not a big deal. OTOH, I am getting less and less tolerant of both the heat and dealing with sweat and am more inclined these hot days to just hop on my indoor bike. Still lots of sweat (even with a fan and cooler indoor temps) but not so much trouble (plus the indoor rides don't aggravate my arthritic shoulder left outdoor rides do).

dave
Old 07-10-23, 08:34 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Regarding ventilated glasses - that would probably help, but I am not sure what those are (I wear traditional eyeglasses when I ride and do not wear sunglasses).
I wear prescription Rudy Project Rydon Glasses (there are lots of others, but those hit the sweet spot for me. They're wrap around lenses that provide good eye protection, but the shape of the lens still lets enough air move around the eye that it reduces fogging, and would presumabl help evaporate sweat as well. For the past 10 years, I've been getting my glasses from SportRX.com. They specialize in prescription glasses for various sports, carry most of the major frame brands, and are great to work with in figuring out exactly which frames and lenses would suit your particular needs. I'd recommend giving them a cal and seeing what they might recommend.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-10-23, 12:25 PM
DaveLeeNC

bbbean Thanks for the suggestion. I will put this in my back pocket for now as I have an eye doctor appointment next week and this year (unlike the previous year) I am probably not going to push back on cataract surgery. So much will be changing my my visual world (I hope).

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC: