Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Osteoarthritis and Vibration

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Osteoarthritis and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 07:24 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
@Camilo said ... "I'm lucky in that my shoulder issues (even pre-surgery) hurt while riding, and once I tweaked the fit on my road bikes, riding was actually one of the only active things I could do when my back was really bad (much better now)."

You have had your share of physical issues and your back comments are interesting. When I was having serious back issues, I referred to my almost daily rides as "instant spinal epidurals". Those rides were incredibly therapeutic but the effect only lasted an hour or so.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 08-17-23, 07:53 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Get a recumbent, problem solved. You will have no shoulder pain riding

I suffer from all the things OP has, plus I've broken the elbows, scapula and have had shoulder surgery to remove some of the calcifications and repair rotator cuff.

Flat carbon bars, shock stem, bike fit, fitness, wider tires at low pressure all help. I did PT 3x per week for over a year to help my shoulders and it helped a lot but it took a lot of effort to find someone who knew what they were doing. Or, periodically get steroid shots into the cuff.
Most everything else aside, I don't think I'd like to do a 11,000 ft climbing on a recumbent... that's just me.

I do have 2 Redshift Shock Stop stems - on 2 gravel bikes. They are AWESOME !!! I use the softest elastomers, still great control (feel no real difference to a regular stem), but reduces the small, frequent shocks considerably... BEST Bike stuff purchase in many years...
Your Older Bianchi almost certainly has a Higher frame stack than the Emonda - so the rest depends on the stem setup.
A higher stack can allow more Bend in the elbow to get the same torso bend... depends on your riding style.
I use either gel bar pads as underlay beneath some std modern bar tape with some cush - another incremental 'shock absorption.
28 or 30 mm tires allow a much lower inflation pressure, which offers some real road shock reduction.
If you've been riding for a while, most of us come from extremely high tire pressures used. Drop the pressure a bit at a time until you perceive some real handling issues, OR you worry about 'snake-bite' flatting... I was accustomed to riding at 100+ psi many years ago. Then I went to 95, now, on older narrow rim wheels, I'll ride at 85 - makes a difference. Wide rim wheels, I ride 25mm tires at 80 psi or less.
A good elbow bend, with elbows tuck towards the body as much as possible - works great.
All this combined, is giving me a much more comfortable ride, with no hit to my performance - other than my own issues... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-18-23, 12:50 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
@Camilo said ... "I'm lucky in that my shoulder issues (even pre-surgery) hurt while riding, and once I tweaked the fit on my road bikes, riding was actually one of the only active things I could do when my back was really bad (much better now)."

You have had your share of physical issues and your back comments are interesting. When I was having serious back issues, I referred to my almost daily rides as "instant spinal epidurals". Those rides were incredibly therapeutic but the effect only lasted an hour or so.

dave
I just edited the post you quoted to add the word Don't , as in my shoulders don't hurt while riding.

Same here - the bike riding not only was pain free when I was having my back issues, but were indeed therapeutic, making me feel better for a while. One thing I did to tweak the fit was I extended my stems 10mm, stretched me out and helped keep my back flat-ish instead of curved.

Instant epidural, interesting comment. I had a series of epidurals. When I resorted to the epidurals, I literally could not walk 500 yards without relieving the pain in my back and the painful sciatica going down my hip, thigh and calf. I had to get in the "90-90" position 2-3 times per day for 15-20 minutes to relieve pain. I can't point to any instant relief from the epidurals, but after about a year and a half, 3 or 4 epidurals, lots of PT, nightly treatment with my portable Tens gadget, and "mindfulness" (figuring out triggers, early signs and modifications to avoid exacerbating triggers), I feel my back issues are nearly 100% solved and has been so for 3 or 4 years. The lesson is: multi faceted therapy was key for me, and just don't be passive about pain and loss of function. Get on it.

Originally Posted by cyclezen
Most everything else aside, I don't think I'd like to do a 11,000 ft climbing on a recumbent... that's just me....
Yuri
Indeed. Those things are not climbers at all! I live in hills and had to modify my recumbent with a 48-38-24 triple. Even then, it was tough for me to get up the steep pitches. The trike is good though, you don't fall over when you're going about 1 mph! Some of it had to do with the different muscles used with a recumbent, certainly the weight of the trike (mine was decent, but no light weight) but I never felt I got the power out of my measly muscles that I could on an upright bike.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-18-23 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-18-23, 07:22 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
I am with GhostRider on this. Now 73 and many many experiments over the years with frames, components, gel bars/gloves, etc. for dealing with rheumatoid and the last few years with evil osteo my recumbents keep me moving. On really bad days I have a rear suspension recumbent trike which gets me out on the road. I can possibly see the front and rear suspension in my future but am resisting due to weight, complexity and they are not cheap.