Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

I found that I am very patient when riding.

Search
Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-23, 12:00 AM
Annie Li

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Riding on the road after getting off work, and suddenly, I noticed a group of pedestrians up ahead. I immediately slowed down and rang my bell to alert them of my presence. However, the pedestrians seemed distracted and didn't make way for me to pass.

I politely asked again, "Excuse me, would it be possible for you to let me pass?". Unfortunately, the pedestrians still didn't respond or move aside.

Without cursing, I just got off my bike, gently pushed it alongside me, and walked past the pedestrians.

Is it okay for me to do this? What are some etiquette guidelines for sharing bike paths or trails with pedestrians?
Likes For Annie Li:
Old 11-14-23, 12:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
This actually happened to me only I was one of the pedestrians! Ta tell ya the truth I can't hear worth a ship. Just ask my wife. Anyway I was completely shocked when I turned and the guy was walking his bike around me. I said sorry and he said none needed. I also said nice bike as he rode off...
Old 11-14-23, 08:04 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
There's a guy on YouTube shorts that I believe may be a bike messenger. He posts videos' about his rides through Manhattan and the encounters that he has with people that usually are NOT following the rules of the road. While he may be right, cursing them out may not be the best way to go in my opinion. Although, being pleasant would make boring videos.

As both a pedestrian and a cyclist on Multi-Use Paths, I appreciated when a cyclist is erring on the side of caution.

Keep on keepin' on @Annie Li .
Old 11-14-23, 08:32 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
next time try squirting them with your water bottle and see if that gets their attention....
Old 11-14-23, 09:03 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 134 Posts
When bells and oral warnings do not work, I usually just yell MOVEEEEEE!!!! and that seems to do the trick.
Old 11-14-23, 12:23 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
got that bot smell...
Old 11-16-23, 03:02 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I do that, dismount and walk. But there aren't MUP's or bike lanes where I live, or very few. The sidewalks aren't very crowded either. Now the downtown area is different, but I haven't biked there much, that's soon to change.
Old 11-18-23, 03:48 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
It my city, bicyclists can use sidewalks with caution and as long as they do not interfere with pedestrians’ usage of the sidewalk. In other words, they do have priority over bicyclist, especially if it is crowded. Bicyclists under such circumstances should walk their bicycle and once they get off the bicycle, they have same right as a pedestrian, no less or more.
To illustrate this point, on a crosswalk that marked with lines, a pedestrian may cross the street at will (smart ones who value their lives, do pay attention to traffic), and cars stop for them. If as bicyclist, you pull the same stunt, you get a ticket. A bicyclist, while riding, must follow all the same traffic rule that are applicable to all vehicles… except they are not legally permitted on highway lanes, even if you can ride like Speedy Gonzales.
Yelling and cursing in Manhattan is a different story… even if they weren’t riding bicycle, they will find some other reason to insult others, it’s a culture thing.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-19-23, 08:41 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
I must admit if I am out walking with my wife and small dogs on a footpath and a cyclist comes hammering along and is not polite it makes me very angry especially when my small (really small Chihuahuas) could so easily be hurt (then my wife would hurt the cyclist, nothing matters more to her!). My hearing is not great either I have had some near misses as well. A footpath is a footpath, be polite if you shouldn’t be on it, it is the least you can do or you might get a stick shoved in the spokes….
Old 11-19-23, 10:51 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by awac
I must admit if I am out walking with my wife and small dogs on a footpath and a cyclist comes hammering along and is not polite it makes me very angry especially when my small (really small ) could so easily be hurt (then my wife would hurt the cyclist, nothing matters more to her!). My hearing is not great either I have had some near misses as well. A footpath is a footpath, be polite if you shouldn’t be on it, it is the least you can do or you might get a stick shoved in the spokes….
While I quite agree about being polite but stick thing is a bit excessive and the situation might escalate where bicyclist may end up kicking field goal on your Chihuahua. 😉
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-20-23, 05:57 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
While I quite agree about being polite but stick thing is a bit excessive and the situation might escalate where bicyclist may end up kicking field goal on your Chihuahua. 😉
Is this rider Jeff with one F….lol. Metaphoric stick of course unless said Chihuahua was in all actually run over or part of a conversion kick (to use a grown ups real sport terminology lol), in which case said stick would be placed in accommodating receptacle of assailant, on cycle or off cycle. So thank you for pointing out my error, damaging the bicycle wheel is excessive since a wheel is a thing of beauty
Old 11-20-23, 07:31 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Spokane has a great paved river trail and the trail is clearly marked to separate bike from traffic from foot traffic...I made the mistake once of stepping into the biking lane when over taken a slower walker....man did I get chewed out by a homeless person who was camped along the trail...he told me to get the F out of the bike lane....and he was just sitting in his camp lol...
Old 11-20-23, 11:33 AM
Alan K

Originally Posted by jadmt
Spokane has a great paved river trail and the trail is clearly marked to separate bike from traffic from foot traffic...I made the mistake once of stepping into the biking lane when over taken a slower walker....man did I get chewed out by a homeless person who was camped along the trail...he told me to get the F out of the bike lane....and he was just sitting in his camp lol...
We have had some similarly bold campers in our town in recent years. 😜
Old 11-20-23, 12:33 PM
Alan K

Speaking of bike-friendly novel traffic concepts, has anyone encountered something like this:

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/we...rely-survived/

Seems a bit wild to me!

I think it is bad for everyone.
Old 04-13-24, 07:25 AM
gpp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Here in Portugal many bike paths are next to our famous cobblestone sidewalks so the result is pedestrians prefer to walk on the bike paths. According to the rules they are not allowed to. I do understand their preference since the sidewalks are so terrible most of the times so I just let them know I am behind them with a ring of the bell. If they pay no attention I overpass them (not sure if this is the right expression) using the sidewalk or the road, and then come back into the bike lane.

But I only use bike for leisure, if it was a daily commute to and from work maybe I would become more upset.
Old 04-13-24, 10:35 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 97 Posts
Not everyone can hear. No rider should ever assume that calling out or bells will alert someone in front. IMO the rider who is overtaking ALWAYS has the responsibility to pass safely. If that means walking the bike, so be it. (I am deaf btw, so this is something that I'm pretty familiar with. I use a mirror and check behind frequently, but I still get surprised at times.)
Old 04-18-24, 08:04 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
Speaking of bike-friendly novel traffic concepts, has anyone encountered something like this:

https://www.wisconsinrightnow.com/we...rely-survived/

Seems a bit wild to me!

I think it is bad for everyone.
Obviously, the public official that came up with that concept has never ridden a bicycle - or driven a vehicle, for that matter.
I would avoid those "bike lanes" like the plague.
Old 04-18-24, 12:51 PM
Ralphinca

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I come up to a pedestrian on a bike path, I yell “passing on the left!”

More often than not, THEY move left — so I pass them on the right.

People are silly. LOL