Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Vintage Bike Day

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Vintage Bike Day

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 02:46 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 35 Posts
New Vintage Bike Day

Last edited by Lamont Cobb; 02-08-24 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For Lamont Cobb:
Old 02-08-24, 02:53 PM
Lamont Cobb

I have a lot of questions about my new (to me) vintage bike. First, my story on how I got this (skip this and go to my next thread if you're not interested).

I got up early and didn't know what to do, so I went outside to jog. I was going by my neighbor's hog farm when I noticed his dumpster. I usually almost never look in dumpsters, but somehow I heard a voice commanding me to do so (strange, isn't it, how that works?). Sure enough, I peaked in and found this beauty there.

But I didn't figure it would be mine because I had no way of getting it home (being out jogging), plus I didn't want my neighbor to know that I was peering into his dumpster, or to see me taking it out of the dumpster.

Low and behold, I attended a grange event two days later and sure enough, my neighbor (his name is Frank) was there. We struck up a conversation and we got to talking about bikes. Frank mentioned that he just put an old bike in his dumpster. Long story short, one thing led to another, and before you know it, I was taking her home.

Last edited by Lamont Cobb; 02-08-24 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For Lamont Cobb:
Old 02-08-24, 03:04 PM
Lamont Cobb

So I have a number of questions, the answers to which will determine what I do with this bike.

First, it she valuable? Please be frank. I wasn't born yesterday and I know that every time somebody pulls a fiddle out of granny's attic, they want it to be an Antonio Stradivari, and 99/100 times, it ain't. Plus, she's not a Schwinn or a Raleigh, so how valuable could she be? But you never know, so that's why I'm asking.

Second, although she's small, do you think I could ride it if I install a longer seat tube? If not, that's okay, because Wifey can still ride it, and if Wifey doesn't want to ride it, kids can always ride it when they come to the house.

Third, and related to the previous question, what would be a good Brooks saddle model that would work for both me and Wifey (i.e., not too wide, but not too narrow).

Fourth, this bike says on the frame that it's for touring. That's okay, I don't have the legs of Lance and wasn't intending to race on it. But should I outfit the bike to be a touring bike? I was thinking that some Ortliebs would be a nice start.

Fifth, one of the pedals is stuck and I couldn't pry it loose even with WD40. So I'm thinking, should I ditch the crankset entirely and replace it with a triple?

Sixth, I'm thinking that she would be nice with disk breaks. Are there are disk break conversion kits available? I looked online and couldn't find any. BTW I'm handy with a welder.

Seventh, should I replace the parts with modern parts or should I try to keep it "vintage correct"?

Eighth, this is not really a question so much as a request. If anybody has seen a review of this bike in Bicycling magazine, could you kindly point out which issue that was?

Thank you all in advance for your kind help. I'm new at this and kind of direction-less. I'm looking forward to your recommendations to steer me in the proper directrion.

Last edited by Lamont Cobb; 02-08-24 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-08-24, 03:29 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
No, this bike is not worth anything. No, Bicycling never reviewed this bike (I can say this without checking). No, you should not try to convert this to disk brakes.

Unless you have a special fondness for this particular bike, your best course of action is to return this bike to the dumpster before they take the dumpster away.,
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 02-08-24, 03:53 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 3,747 Times in 1,841 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
So I have a number of questions, the answers to which will determine what I do with this bike.

First, it she valuable? Please be frank. I wasn't born yesterday and I know that every time somebody pulls a fiddle out of granny's attic, they want it to be an Antonio Stradivari, and 99/100 times, it ain't. Plus, she's not a Schwinn or a Raleigh, so how valuable could she be? But you never know, so that's why I'm asking. - Not valuable, frame or parts, was a low end bike to start with

Second, although she's small, do you think I could ride it if I install a longer seat tube? If not, that's okay, because Wifey can still ride it, and if Wifey doesn't want to ride it, kids can always ride it when they come to the house. - Fit is probably the most important thing, if you have to raise the seat post a litlle bit fine, a bunch, not the bike for you

Third, and related to the previous question, what would be a good Brooks saddle model that would work for both me and Wifey (i.e., not too wide, but not too narrow). - Saddles tend to be an individual thing, Brooks in particular should break-in/form to A rider

Fourth, this bike says on the frame that it's for touring. That's okay, I don't have the legs of Lance and wasn't intending to race on it. But should I outfit the bike to be a touring bike? I was thinking that some Ortliebs would be a nice start. - The Touring is pretty much in name only, there are eyelets on the dropouts but no rack mount.
Fifth, one of the pedals is stuck and I couldn't pry it loose even with WD40. So I'm thinking, should I ditch the crankset entirely and replace it with a triple? Pedal can be unstuck, new crank is cost prohibitive for this bike (can buy a whole bike right now for price of crank set)

Sixth, I'm thinking that she would be nice with disk breaks. Are there are disk break conversion kits available? I looked online and couldn't find any. BTW I'm handy with a welder. - You would have add mounts for the discs, even if you are doing this, much easier to buy a bike with disc brakes (cheap)

Seventh, should I replace the parts with modern parts or should I try to keep it "vintage correct"? Same answer as the last 2, not worth adding parts to this bike - again ever more so if it does not fit

Eighth, this is not really a question so much as a request. If anybody has seen a review of this bike in Bicycling magazine, could you kindly point out which issue that was? I am with icemilkcoffee, don't think I need to check, No

Thank you all in advance for your kind help. I'm new at this and kind of direction-less. I'm looking forward to your recommendations to steer me in the proper directrion.
I like to "save" bikes. If you want to keep/use this bike I would wipe it down/clean it up first. Then a bit of lube on cables/check for adjustment. Check brakes and pads. Then just Go ride it! Take a few rides to see how it feels, if you like it, then think about more upgrades (new cables, new brake pads, open up wheel bearings and bottom bracket and clean and add new grease.

I would not put much effort into this one though, as the used market is very soft and it is a buyers market. You can get all kinds of nice bikes for $50-$150 right now that would be nicer/better than this one.

I have 5-6 bikes in my garage similar to this, but slightly nicer, and the sit, because it would cost more to make them go than to get something nicer in the current market.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 02-08-24, 05:44 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
I'm coming at this from a slightly different perspective.

This isn't a great or valuable bike, but it's pretty well made and if you can get some use out of it, great. If you can get a bit of bike mechanic and general knowledge along the way, even better. I would also go with a minimalist approach. Cleaning it up, replacing cabling tires, tubes, chain and brake pads are all necessary tasks. Spraying some PB blaster to unstick the pedal should fix that. Changing to disc brakes is not only more trouble than it is worth, but it could also make the bike dangerous to ride as the fork was not designed to handle the forces and would just fail sooner or later.

The Parktool web site has a library of almost every imaginable how-to bike maintenance task on YouTube. The explanations and visuals are excellent. You're certain to find someone here who is more than willing to help, but our instructions aren't necessarily available upon demand, and on a good day may be 75% as accurate and easy to follow as the videos. You will almost certainly want to service (and replace if they require it) the bearings in the headset, bottom bracket and hubs. Remove and clean the crank, chainrings and derailleurs. Yes, you would need a few special tools for this, but if you think fixing up bicycles is something you'd like to do now and then, well worth the relatively modest investment (especially if you compare to the cost of paying the shop to do it - not that I'm trying to put shops out of business, but rather to put the expense into perspective). There are plenty of suitable saddles available that might be shareable. Note that I have attempted this with my wife, but her saddle preferences are different than mine. In any event, steer clear of overly "cushy" saddles and gel saddles or gel covers. They may feel nice for 5 minutes, but they conform to your body a bit too much and cut off circulation - which is a very miserable experience when you still have miles to go. Many places that sell bikes will carry Bontrager or Trek saddles that have firm foam padding. I'm not saying this because I'm recommending them, but if you see one, get a sense for how much "give" they have. Don't get a saddle that has more give than these do. If you really want a Brooks Saddle, I'd say to look at a B66 or B67. They both have some suspension and are designed for upright riding.

Be aware that if you intend to become a regular cyclist, it's almost certain that you'd want to eventually find something that better suits your size, needs and interests. If you can persevere to get it back on the road, you've done far more than most, but if you see what it will take to get it there and decide you'd rather not, nobody will hold it against you.

p.s. That's a cool story about acquiring the bike and you handled the situation very smoothly and tactfully.
Old 02-08-24, 06:10 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Lamont Cobb If you don't know already, the right side (drive side ) pedal is a reverse thread. it will loosen clockwise,
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 02-08-24, 07:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
As you were jogging by- was the dumpster on your right or onyerleft?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-08-24, 07:52 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
Like others here have already stated, its a dept store bike and not worth anything. If you want a very nice vintage bike , check the Classified Section of this Forum, a Member is/was Giving Away several bicycles that were very good quality in ready to ride condition. You might want to check those out as just paying for the Shipping fee alone is less than what you would spend on parts to get this bike in rideable condition.
Likes For Manny66:
Old 02-08-24, 08:15 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Good eye.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-08-24, 08:16 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 219 Posts
I'd like to know how the repairs on their lawn mower are going. Still in the shop?
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 02-08-24, 09:35 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
Like others here have already stated, its a dept store bike and not worth anything. If you want a very nice vintage bike , check the Classified Section of this Forum, a Member is/was Giving Away several bicycles that were very good quality in ready to ride condition. You might want to check those out as just paying for the Shipping fee alone is less than what you would spend on parts to get this bike in rideable condition.
It's a step above a department store bike. Truly not worth much or anything special, but it's reasonably well made. Good suggestion on the alternate source for a nicer bike. Worth it only if one fits though.
Old 02-08-24, 09:42 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 662 Posts
Quote: “First, it she valuable? Please be frank”.

your neighbor???
Old 02-08-24, 09:58 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
First, it she valuable? Please be frank.
Frankly, you will have more money putting tires and tubes on it than what it is worth. While that has never stopped me on some of my bikes, this is not a bike that you would want to put a Brooks saddle on, disk brakes or a triple crankset.

But you got it for free and if you think your wife will ride it enough to make it worth spending time and money for tubes, tires, and cables, go for it.

Old 02-08-24, 10:20 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Good eye.
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
I'd like to know how the repairs on their lawn mower are going. Still in the shop?
When you owe that much in gambling debts, you sometimes have to fake your own death.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-08-24, 10:22 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Please tell me you are in Colorado and then you can come over and have your pick of several Heck I'll build you one.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-08-24, 11:51 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
When you owe that much in gambling debts, you sometimes have to fake your own death.
I tell ya, I can't figure it out. At first, I thought it was a bot. But maybe it's a (comedic) bit. It's either a bot or a bit. What's up with the grieving "it's not my size" in 30+ sales forum posts? Asking about adding "disk breaks," modern parts and touring with ... this bike?? That he found in a hog farm dumpster while "jogging"? That he assures us isn't going to be raced? All the awful "wifey" comments. Eww. Aren't there better outlets for satire? This is satire, right?
Old 02-09-24, 04:11 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
Lamont Cobb If you don't know already, the right side (drive side ) pedal is a reverse thread. it will loosen clockwise,
The drive-side bottom bracket cup is reverse threaded. The non-drive-side pedal is the one that is reverse threaded.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-09-24, 04:23 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Shimano FFS.

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cy...freewheel.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l-systems.html

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=shim...&bih=612&dpr=1
Old 02-09-24, 08:54 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,554 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I tell ya, I can't figure it out. At first, I thought it was a bot. But maybe it's a (comedic) bit. It's either a bot or a bit. What's up with the grieving "it's not my size" in 30+ sales forum posts? Asking about adding "disk breaks," modern parts and touring with ... this bike?? That he found in a hog farm dumpster while "jogging"? That he assures us isn't going to be raced? All the awful "wifey" comments. Eww. Aren't there better outlets for satire? This is satire, right?

Hmm...ya, looking back at those posts, plenty of comments in Richard Sachs, Cinelli and other high end vintage bike threads, so OP should have a good handle on what's valuable and what's not. So...

Old 02-11-24, 03:13 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 837 Posts
As a grocery store / errand runner for which you do not have to worry much about theft or security, why not?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069