Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Traveler

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Traveler

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 08:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-51a2ccec0962

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-51a2ccec0962

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4-51a2ccec0962
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-17-24, 09:07 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Lots of deals at that.bike show, especially on more common mass market bikes. I went the last couple years and had a nice time. The one you have pictured actually looks very nice if one is an accomplished bike mechanic and has spare parts which it sounds like you are not. The only problem is the steel wheels. I bet you could get a ready to ride bike that suits your needs that has been completely gone through with aluminum wheels and maybe even shifters for less than $200. I’m sure several of us will be there too if you want advice at that time. We love doing this and spending other people’s money.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 02-17-24, 10:40 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I think $40 is a fine deal for that bike.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-17-24, 08:47 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Lots of deals at that.bike show, especially on more common mass market bikes. I went the last couple years and had a nice time. The one you have pictured actually looks very nice if one is an accomplished bike mechanic and has spare parts which it sounds like you are not. The only problem is the steel wheels. I bet you could get a ready to ride bike that suits your needs that has been completely gone through with aluminum wheels and maybe even shifters for less than $200. I’m sure several of us will be there too if you want advice at that time. We love doing this and spending other people’s money.
Specs and pictures show Weinman AL rims
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-17-24, 09:37 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
Even better yet. I wasn’t sure from pics.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 02-17-24, 10:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by ciclista_pazza
Thanks! I've added pictures.

Now that I see the super enlarged pics, I do notice a lot of rust. Maybe it would be best to skip this particular bike.
None of that rust is life threatening and it has integrated RD hanger/DO, maybe forged, big step up from stamped hanger/claw DO.

They are essentially the same bike/frame, again, 10's of 1000's of these and the like on the ground .

If this is close and cheap at $40 i would encourage you to get it and get to it as well, these are typical, solid, good value.

You could have this up and running in good shape well before you find another in your size and ok shape this cheap.

At this price point most will need all consumables which is wise anyway so its all part of the fun.

This all assumes you have the skill and tools to do the work, if not you will be at the mercy of the vultures and miscreants.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-17-24, 10:30 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I had a Traveller from that era - lots of bike for the money
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 02-17-24, 10:33 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanks! There is a bike coop in the area. I've never been good at fixing bike stuff myself, mainly because I always seem to run into hurdles, like not having the wrist strength to unscrew a bolt or to remove pedals. These seem like simple things and it bothers me that I can't seem to do basic things like that. I probably should take a class through the coop to become more experienced and to gain confidence.
This, its rarely about strength and that just requires a longer lever and or proper fulcrum positioning.

The co-op is a great idea, they are usually stocked with some of the best helpers that have more experience than many shops.

The hurdles are usually just idiosyncracies specific to bikes, mainly one side threads turning the opposite of the other and bearing adjustments that are a bit fiddly/fussy even once you get the hang of it.

I strongly encourage you to dig into this, it can be immensely satisfying once you start to really get the hang of it.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-17-24, 10:45 PM
merziac

Thanks! It's great to hear first hand feedback about the bike swap and that's good to know about prices for something like a Traveler. And I still have some hope that I can find a late 70s Le Tour again . I'm sure it will be a blast to attend the event.
Also bear in mind that many of these are basically the same, Traveler, LeTour and others just got the name changed to accommodate its place in line along the way.

The 4130 Traveler on efbay is in the higher end of these and is the one I would go after and maybe more likely to fill the void of the LeTour better.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-17-24, 11:05 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
That bike looks practically un-used, the kind of bike that responds readily to a simple "oil-can tune-up" of the sort that I perform almost weekly on one bike or the next.
Don't forget to oil up the shift lever pivots!
The hubs, freewheel, bottom bracket, pedals and headset are just in need of oil to re-hydrate the old grease.
I apply a drop of oil at each spoke/nipple junction to facilitate any future tensioning/truing of the spokes.
I always check that the BB cups are secure/tight, and that the axles spin freely, also that the axle locknuts on the drive side of the rear axle are tight against the cone to preserve adjustment whenever the axle nuts get re-tightened (requires freewheel removal, so you'll need the particular tool for this bike's likely Suntour 2-notch freewheel).
If the brakes calipers are by Dia Compe, likely the pads are still usable. If by Weinmann, not so much!

I get whole seasons of riding on such tune-ups. I prefer using silicone-PTFE types of lubes on the cables though, for less friction resistance over the longer haul (assuming plastic-lined cable housings).

$40 is almost free considering the riding that you will be getting in if you don't have a bike to ride at present.

I like the radiant blue on this one!

Last edited by dddd; 02-17-24 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-18-24, 11:52 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Thanks for the links! These all look great but I'm looking for one with swept back handlebars. Other than that, I would have gone for any of these.
Likes For ciclista_pazza:
Old 02-18-24, 11:56 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Originally Posted by dddd
That bike looks practically un-used, the kind of bike that responds readily to a simple "oil-can tune-up" of the sort that I perform almost weekly on one bike or the next.
Don't forget to oil up the shift lever pivots!
The hubs, freewheel, bottom bracket, pedals and headset are just in need of oil to re-hydrate the old grease.
I apply a drop of oil at each spoke/nipple junction to facilitate any future tensioning/truing of the spokes.
I always check that the BB cups are secure/tight, and that the axles spin freely, also that the axle locknuts on the drive side of the rear axle are tight against the cone to preserve adjustment whenever the axle nuts get re-tightened (requires freewheel removal, so you'll need the particular tool for this bike's likely Suntour 2-notch freewheel).
If the brakes calipers are by Dia Compe, likely the pads are still usable. If by Weinmann, not so much!

I get whole seasons of riding on such tune-ups. I prefer using silicone-PTFE types of lubes on the cables though, for less friction resistance over the longer haul (assuming plastic-lined cable housings).

$40 is almost free considering the riding that you will be getting in if you don't have a bike to ride at present.

I like the radiant blue on this one!
Thanks! I asked the ebay seller a question Friday evening and never heard back so not sure if that bike would work out anyway. It's too bad since a lot of these comments are making it sound like a good deal.
Old 02-18-24, 11:57 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by dedhed
Specs and pictures show Weinman AL rims
Oh wow, I didn't catch that. Even better!
Old 02-18-24, 11:59 AM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by merziac
This, its rarely about strength and that just requires a longer lever and or proper fulcrum positioning.

The co-op is a great idea, they are usually stocked with some of the best helpers that have more experience than many shops.

The hurdles are usually just idiosyncracies specific to bikes, mainly one side threads turning the opposite of the other and bearing adjustments that are a bit fiddly/fussy even once you get the hang of it.

I strongly encourage you to dig into this, it can be immensely satisfying once you start to really get the hang of it.
Thanks! I'm sure you're right. The biggest hurdle I have with bikes is my lack of confidence in fixing small things and I want to get over that.
Old 02-18-24, 12:01 PM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by sd5782
Thanks! It's cool that several others here may also be attending the bike swap.
Old 02-18-24, 12:17 PM
merziac

Thanks! I'm sure you're right. The biggest hurdle I have with bikes is my lack of confidence in fixing small things and I want to get over that.
Good plan and as you know can be challenging but almost none of it is life threatening with patience and diligence.

Be realistic and take your time to get the hang of it.

Good tools can be key as they often simply work better, you can be doing it right but a cheap, crappy tool can keep you from being successful.

Good tools can be much more expensive and sometimes only a little bit better, but that little bit can be critical, make a big difference in the outcome that builds confidence and make them well worth the extra $$$$$$.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-19-24, 08:22 AM
ciclista_pazza

Good plan and as you know can be challenging but almost none of it is life threatening with patience and diligence.

Be realistic and take your time to get the hang of it.

Good tools can be key as they often simply work better, you can be doing it right but a cheap, crappy tool can keep you from being successful.

Good tools can be much more expensive and sometimes only a little bit better, but that little bit can be critical, make a big difference in the outcome that builds confidence and make them well worth the extra $$$$$$.
Thanks! This is really helpful advice!
Old 02-19-24, 10:44 AM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
I had a Traveller from that era - lots of bike for the money
My thought exactly. I miss mine and wish I had kept it.
Old 02-19-24, 02:43 PM
merziac

Thanks! This is really helpful advice!
You're welcome, I am a lifelong mech/tech/hack, bikes, drag racing mc's and auto's professionally.

I have a lot of tools and even so it often still takes a lot to get the job done but tools can be key.

Patience is also key and the ability to step back and maybe think outside the box keeping in mind the constraints at the time.

One of the biggest things IMO is not to resort to brute force unless all other options have been exhausted, it usually damages something, you, the tool, the offending part or all of the above which usually escalates the cost, time and frustration.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-19-24, 03:49 PM
ciclista_pazza

You're welcome, I am a lifelong mech/tech/hack, bikes, drag racing mc's and auto's professionally.

I have a lot of tools and even so it often still takes a lot to get the job done but tools can be key.

Patience is also key and the ability to step back and maybe think outside the box keeping in mind the constraints at the time.

One of the biggest things IMO is not to resort to brute force unless all other options have been exhausted, it usually damages something, you, the tool, the offending part or all of the above which usually escalates the cost, time and frustration.
Thanks! Every time I go to the bike shop for a basic repair, I try to ask them what tool they used for the fix and then I try to make sure i have that tool on hand but still have trouble with getting the force to be enough to get a bolt or screw to move. I think the Coop idea is great since they can take time to show me how to use the tools properly. I feel a lot of embarrassment for taking bikes in for basic things like saddle removal, but a lot of older bikes have bolts that are really on there and don't seem to budge. I'm sure I can get it figured out with time and your advice gives me hope.
Old 02-19-24, 03:54 PM
ciclista_pazza

I have an interesting update. Before I moved to Michigan, I'd sold my beloved Le Tour mixte to a bike shop in Arizona. It occurred to me that they might not have sold the bike yet, so I called them today to check and they still have it! They are going to ship it to me for a fee of ~$150 (and of course the cost of the bike, which is now $200). I know it's crazy to pay all that, but I'm sure I'd end up paying even more with getting another bike and getting it setup to be right for me. I sold it to the bike shop for $125, so not too bad all things considered.

At least the Le Tour is all set (it has a new aluminum wheelset, new tires, thumb shifters, brakes, etc that I had put on it before I moved). I'm thrilled about getting it back!

I'll still probably visit the classic bike swap in May and end up getting yet another bike.

Last edited by ciclista_pazza; 02-19-24 at 03:57 PM. Reason: fixed error
Old 02-19-24, 04:15 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
I have an interesting update. Before I moved to Michigan, I'd sold my beloved Le Tour mixte to a bike shop in Arizona. It occurred to me that they might not have sold the bike yet, so I called them today to check and they still have it! They are going to ship it to me for a fee of ~$150 (and of course the cost of the bike, which is now $200). I know it's crazy to pay all that, but I'm sure I'd end up paying even more with getting another bike and getting it setup to be right for me. I sold it to the bike shop for $125, so not too bad all things considered.

At least the Le Tour is all set (it has a new aluminum wheelset, new tires, thumb shifters, brakes, etc that I had put on it before I moved). I'm thrilled about getting it back!

I'll still probably visit the classic bike swap in May and end up getting yet another bike.
Congratulations! If you ride it enough, no bike is too expensive.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 02-19-24, 04:18 PM
merziac

Great news and I still strongly encourage you to dig in on working on them yourself, maybe go to the co-op and go through your bike even if it doesn't need it.

Then you will be invested in your own bike and know it inside out and may not be to hard if most of it has been done.

The co-op may have classes and volunteering you could lean into to get the skill you need, hopefully they have one on one help that can get you going on your own with a very guiding hand.

I know its hard but you should not be embarrassed, it is the biggest impediment to success and needs to be turned into positive mindset that gets you there.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-19-24, 04:20 PM
ciclista_pazza

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
Congratulations! If you ride it enough, no bike is too expensive.
Thanks! And I agree!
Old 02-19-24, 04:23 PM
ciclista_pazza

Great news and I still strongly encourage you to dig in on working on them yourself, maybe go to the co-op and go through your bike even if it doesn't need it.

Then you will be invested in your own bike and know it inside out and may not be to hard if most of it has been done.

The co-op may have classes and volunteering you could lean into to get the skill you need, hopefully they have one on one help that can get you going on your own with a very guiding hand.

I know its hard but you should not be embarrassed, it is the biggest impediment to success and needs to be turned into positive mindset that gets you there.
Thanks! I'm going to see if they have a build a bike class at my local coop. They had that class at at bike coop in Arizona but I never got around to attending it. I agree it's worth it. I want to stop shelling out so much money to the LBS for basic fixes and it would be a huge boost to my confidence!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.