Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

'80s Mercier question(s)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

'80s Mercier question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-08, 09:33 PM
Night Tiger

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
'80s Mercier question(s)

Hey everyone,

This came up on the local Craigslist and I couldn't resist, even though it's been stripped of everything except the seatpost bolt and bottom bracket. I believe it is a Mercier, and you can almost read the name on the down tube. It has Super Vitus 980 tubing, pantographed fork crown, nice lugs, weighs next to nothing, has Vitus stamped dropouts, and has what I believe to be the Mercier crown and "M" on the seat stay tips. Beyond that, I'm not very sure of anything else except that I'll be tracking down a french headset, seatpost and stem. I can't find a serial number anywhere and it doesn't appear to be a repaint. The previous owner knew next to nothing about what it had originally (He had it set up as a single-speed for a while). I've got a nice set of Wolber Super Champion tubulars to go on it, but I'd be curious to know what the original gruppo was on the bike before I start gathering parts. Anyone ever have one of these?

Here are some photo links (not sure how to post pics directly):

https://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...Mercier001.jpg

https://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...Mercier002.jpg

https://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...Mercier003.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Paul
Old 11-20-08, 10:05 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Compare the lugs on your bike to this Audax bike on ebay while the auction is still active. The lugs look very similar to me, but maybe that just means the lugs came from the same place.
https://cgi.ebay.com/PAT-HANLON-LIGHT...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 11-20-08, 10:30 PM
Night Tiger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got to hand it to you, you've got a great eye for lugs!! They are almost exactly the same, same shaped cutouts and points. The only difference I can really see is that my head tube lugs have cutouts on the side. The slots on the front of the fork crown are even the same, though the crown on my suspected Mercier is integrated (smooth) into the fork tubes instead of being a separate crown. Very interesting, an evolution of the same lugs.

So, looking at my '87 Cilo now, it looks as though it has the same lugs as well. I'm guessing these were "the" lugs in Europe, aside from Italy, back in the day. Maybe Prugnat or Bocama?

That's a sweet frame, by the way. If the headset and bb aren't shot, it's a pretty good deal, too.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited by Night Tiger; 11-20-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-21-08, 02:07 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
the lugs on the Mercier are Bocama Competition type 83, don't know about the Pat Hanlon, The forkcrown on the Mercier has a Zeus logo engraved, I haven't seen one with that script "M" and crown: if you say that's a Mercier mark then I'll take it as fact. (pic of Bocama lugs from Richard Sachs)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bocama'Competition83'001.jpg (12.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-21-08, 02:21 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
the lugs on the Mercier are Bocama Competition type 83
Just picking nits here, but: Why do you say that they're Bocama, when Prugnat made lugs just like those on both bikes? -- at least to my eye. I can't really see any differences between the ones on the supposed Mercier and the PH on eBay, and those on my Raleigh frame, which the sales brochure said were Prugnat. Windowed on top and sides for the head lugs, very similar if not identical. And the Bocama lugs you illustrated from RS appear to be longer than any of the others mentioned.
Old 11-21-08, 03:36 PM
Night Tiger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, as far as I can find on the net, this frame is very similar to the Peugeot PX10s of the '80s that were built with Super Vitus 980. I'm guessing that they might have come with a similar gruppo. Anybody have one of those in their stable?

Is that a Zeus "Z" panto on the fork crowns, then? I was wondering why it looked more like a "Z". Good to know.

Anybody know if the "M" and the crown on the seat stay tips are Mercier stylings?
Old 11-22-08, 01:20 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

as to the Bocama vs Prugnat: they look more like BCM to me and that would be more common for a French frame. The only Prugnats that I'm familiar with that are close are the type "S" and they are not factory-pierced with the windows, neither top nor sides, and the BCMs are...other than that: anything's possible...windows can be added, points shortened, rounded, sharpened...I could be wrong, it's happened
Here's a little thing that shows the Zeus "Z" logo, it's from later years: late '70s-'80s approx.
Attached Images
1978-04.jpg (29.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-22-08, 02:47 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
So, what would you say these are?

Old 11-22-08, 05:06 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Haden...cause it says it's a Raleigh.
What do you call them?
But back to the OP: I haven't seen anything else that has the "M" and crown on the seatstay caps: can you post a close-up of the decal on the downtube? Are they Simplex dropouts?

Last edited by unworthy1; 11-22-08 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 01:17 AM
Night Tiger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll post a close-up of the downtube decal tomorrow (it's way too late now) as well as the dropouts. One thing I can say is that the drive side dropout is stamped "Vitus" above the derailleur hanger. Not sure if they are Simplex. Pics to come on the 'morrow. Thanks to all who have replied!! I'm even more intrigued by this frame!

Cheers!
Old 11-23-08, 04:47 PM
Night Tiger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here is a close up of the drive side dropout and the Vitus stamp in the hanger.

https://i378.photobucket.com/albums/o...otos/Conti.jpg

I spoke with a friend who lives in France and he has a Gitane of the same vintage (and Super Vitus 980 tubing) that sports a full decorative Shimano 600 gruppo with French (opposite side cable input) calipers.
Old 11-23-08, 05:36 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

that DO sure bears a family resemblance to this Simplex unit, but at least yours looks like it's threaded and has a tang so you can mount standard RDs. I wonder if Vitus made them for Simplex or vice-versa.
Attached Images
attachment.jpg (20.5 KB, 47 views)
Old 11-25-08, 11:41 PM
Night Tiger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is quite similar, but, as you noted, it is threaded and has the tang for the derailleur.

I ran a search on Mercier in the Classic & Vintage and there is a fellow who posted some pics of a blue one which looks to be the same frame as mine - you can see that the bottom bracket cup has the same design and also sports the Vitus dropouts. I've written him to see if his also has the "M" and the "Z" in the same places.

Thanks again to everyone for all their help!
Old 05-05-09, 11:44 PM
peterjr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
80's Mercier

Hi,
I know that this thread is old now, but I saw your bike and realized that it is very similar to a Mercier that I own.

Have you managed to find out any more information about your frame?

I can tell you that it is a Mercier, but it may not have its original forks. My frame, which is otherwise identical to yours, has full chrome forks with a sloping crown. The crown is stamped "mercier" with a crown above. It should have a Mercier decal on the down tube in scripted characters.

My frame has Vitus ends and the same lugs. It is made from Columbus tubing and the bike is totally fitted with Campagnolo parts, including the headset. It has the same stamping at the top of the rear stays.

I am not sure when my frame was built and I was hoping that maybe you have found out the date of yours.

Anyway, you have probably move on from this thread by now, so I am sorry to arrive so late.

All the best,
peterjr