Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1983 Concord mixte "Mixtee"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 09:15 PM
jwa
moron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Came across a 1980s-era ('83, by the code on the DiaCompe brakes) mixte-frame Concord 10-speed. I haven't looked at a mixte style frame in ages - pretty cool problem-solving by the engineers, with the rear centerpull brake stirrup cable circling the seat tube, & the front brake cable yoke enlarged to double as the reflector mount.

But then, the model name - "Mixtee" - proudly emblazoned on the downtube. All that clever designing, and then the marketing guys get together and ...

"What'll we call it?" ... "How about 'Pixie' ? " ... "No, too girly" ... "Velociraptor?" ... "Nah - not until we can play off a movie tie-in" ... "How 'bout we just call it 'Mixte' ? " ... "Yeah, but misspell it!" ... "Great! What's next?"

Okay, I'm better now.
Old 12-13-08, 12:10 AM
Night Tiger

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I know it's three years a 'coming, but I just picked one of these up! Nice stuff on it, Shimano 400 fore and aft, dia compe center pulls. Tubing says "K.C.L." seamless chromoly, which is curious. Who made it?