Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano Deore SP down tube friction shifter question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 09:25 PM
Night Tiger

Bikes: 1983 Cilo, 1980 Mercier, 1981 Viner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey everyone,

So, I'm just about finished refurbing a tall (67cm c-to-c) 1981 Schwinn Voyageur S/P and after cleaning, polishing, lubing and re-assembling the down tube shifter assemblies (Shimano Deore SP), I noticed that the right shifter (rear der. control) has a specific bit of play. I'd almost call it "snap-back". If we were talking clocks, it would have about an hour's worth of slop in lever play before it grabs the cable, but this is while tension on the rear der. is actually being held and it is staying in one gear. The lever is not slipping.

Well, first thing I did was to take it apart, because I was sure that I had something in there backwards or wrong. Nope, this is a very basic system and there is a thick metal washer on the inside with two cut-outs and the lever itself has two male protrusions that fit in there. The other outside plastic washer can only go in one way as well. Put them back in and it still does the same.

Next thing I did was to take the left (rear der.) shifter apart and check for consistency (my other Shimano 600 and Sun Tour d/t friction shifters are mirror images from right to left). The left side has no play. It also has a completely different set-up and no "stops" or female/male parts the can only go together one way, just a simple set of plastic washers.

I also examined the parts to see if they were worn or if anything was sheared off. Nada, looks as it should, no evidence of metal breaking or shavings, etc.

The funny thing is, the right side (rear der.) shifts fine, holds tension (doesn't ghost shift) but it does have that degree of slop where you actually pull it a bit before it starts to grab the cable, like clutch-play in a car. I would almost say it's kind of nice when dialed in right, but it really threw me off.

Anybody ever noticed this before? It's an odd system and just figured I'd throw it out there. If there is any interest, I can shoot some pics tomorrow.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 03-24-09, 09:46 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like two things to me.
1. Cable tension isn't high enough (for both)
2. Cable housing isn't long enough (for rear)
I had this problem with my SunTour GPX RD, I fixed it greatly by ensuring the cable was attached correctly, and also that my housing was long enough. It needs to have a gentle curve so that there's no binding. Lubricating the housing insides won't hurt either.
Good luck.
-Gene-
Old 03-24-09, 10:13 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed this on quite a few downtube shifters before. That is why Simplex Retrofrictions are so great!