Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Very good condition Bottechia Carnielli

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-20, 07:54 PM
Memden

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

A friend pulled out a 1989 Bottechia Carnielli with the original Campagnolo Groupset. (I think its the Chorus groupset) The bike is in pristine condition, just needs a little cleaning, re-lubing, and replacing of soft parts (tires, tubes, brake pads, etc). Any guidance on finding the value of this bike? I guess he rode it for about 5 years then hung it up for the last 25 years.

Thanks for your help!
I tried to post some pictures but I am new to this forum and I guess I'm not allowed to do that yet...
Old 05-10-20, 08:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

Hello Memden and welcome to the forum

Bicycle sounds very interesting, an excellent find.

Your post would be a somewhat better fit over on the C&V appraisals forum.

Perhaps one of the moderators could move it for you...

-----
Old 05-11-20, 02:04 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Sounds like you have the same 1989 Bottecchia Chorus Professional SL as mine.....

it's a great rider. Solid and handles great, plus the first gen Chorus group works really well, as long as you don't use the indexed mode on the Synchro shifters....

Last edited by Chombi1; 05-11-20 at 02:08 AM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 05-11-20, 02:20 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,609 Times in 3,788 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 05-11-20, 02:58 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The subject bicycle is definitely a 1989 model, as it bears the Carnielli 80th anniversary decal. It's a mid-range (some would argue lower mid-rarge) model by virtue of the era and Columbus Aelle tubeset. It also lacks the embossing and more extensive chrome of the better Bottecchia models. The component group is Campagnolo Victory, which was 5th tier in 1989, but with an updated Athena brakeset. Overall, the condition is very good, with the exception of the fork. It looks markedly dull, as if the chrome is peeling, exposing the underlying, duller nickel plate.At first, I thought the paint was stripped, exposing the steel, which had been clear coated. Original MSRP would have been ~$650-$700 US. I'd estimate current value at ~ $275-$300 US. Selective photo assist:
Old 05-11-20, 10:13 AM
Memden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That looks very close to the bike my friend pulled out. The only difference is that it is blue. Even though it hung in a garage for 25 years I still tried to pump up the tires and they both held air! So I went for a very short little ride outside and it was very smooth! Fun bike!
Old 05-11-20, 07:09 PM
Memden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
T-Mar,

You were able to pull the picture I tried uploading, Thank you! My friend said that he paid $600 for it, so you are pretty much spot on with pricing. Thanks for the appraisal. Just for fun, I tried pumping up the tires and to my surprise they both hold air. So, I rode it around the driveway a bit and everything is still working wonderfully! Very smooth. I'm surprised how quiet it is when it coasts. Both tires were still fully inflated this morning so I rode it around the college campus I live on and really enjoyed it and am very impressed with how well the brake pads, tires, cable housings, etc have all held up.

Thanks again!
Likes For Memden: