Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 09:43 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
After acquiring the Falcon I said no more bikes this year but......

I just got back home from a 200 mile morning cruise with this one owner 1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix in 23.5" which in itself was no temptation but it was topped with a pretty decent brown Ideale 90 saddle which I needed and the asking price was less than half what I've seen the saddles advertised for. Seller had owned it since new but hadn't ridden it in years. He is moving halfway across the country early tomorrow morning and didn't have room to take it with. The saddle is going on my Peugeot PKN-10, I'll freshen up the rest of the bike and see how it fits and rides, then I'll decide if it's a keeper or not. All in all it's in pretty decent original condition and should clean up very nicely but it was at the far edge of my bike buying territory and had it not been for the price and that saddle I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.

I really like the Raliegh branded Suntour VX shift with the bar end power shifters about the nicest of the late 70's shift groups.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 03-02-24, 10:55 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
'200 mile morning cruise'?
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 03-02-24, 10:57 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
I've made too many of those as well.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-02-24, 10:58 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
After acquiring the Falcon I said no more bikes this year but......

I just got back home from a 200 mile morning cruise with this one owner 1979 Raleigh Super Grand Prix in 23.5" which in itself was no temptation but it was topped with a pretty decent brown Ideale 90 saddle which I needed and the asking price was less than half what I've seen the saddles advertised for. Seller had owned it since new but hadn't ridden it in years. He is moving halfway across the country early tomorrow morning and didn't have room to take it with. The saddle is going on my Peugeot PKN-10, I'll freshen up the rest of the bike and see how it fits and rides, then I'll decide if it's a keeper or not. All in all it's in pretty decent original condition and should clean up very nicely but it was at the far edge of my bike buying territory and had it not been for the price and that saddle I wouldn't have given it a 2nd thought.
I've been watching that ad for the barcons and seat. Ty for buying it!
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 03-02-24, 11:04 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
Originally Posted by VtwinVince
Going to guess that's the drive to pick it up...
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-02-24, 12:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I've been watching that ad for the barcons and seat. Ty for buying it!
I didn't see it until Wednesday and it had already been on for a couple days. I kicked it around for a few hours talking myself out of it but then, logic failed me and I decided the saddle and barcons were worth the drive even if the bike turned out to be a roach. When I contacted him he said somebody else had already spoken for it and was coming Friday to buy it but he'd let me know if it fell through. I pretty much wrote it off but they evidently ghosted him and he let me know last night it was still available so I was up and on the road by 5:30 AM, which means I actually got to sleep in an extra hour LOL. I was hoping to wait until tomorrow but he's pulling out first thing tomorrow morning fo the other side of the country plus from a couple things he said when we were talking about the saddle I think there were others waiting in the wings if I didn't grab it. He didn't come right out and say it but I don't think there was any danger of it being left with the house or going to the curb. Thankfully it's not a roach, it's not like new either but is very well preserved for a 45 year old bike. Yeah, it's nothing special and just a carbon steel frame but it's growing on me and some of my favorite riders are HiTen.

Originally Posted by curbtender
Going to guess that's the drive to pick it up...
Yes LOL.
Old 03-02-24, 04:35 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I didn't see it until Wednesday and it had already been on for a couple days. I kicked it around for a few hours talking myself out of it but then, logic failed me and I decided the saddle and barcons were worth the drive even if the bike turned out to be a roach. When I contacted him he said somebody else had already spoken for it and was coming Friday to buy it but he'd let me know if it fell through. I pretty much wrote it off but they evidently ghosted him and he let me know last night it was still available so I was up and on the road by 5:30 AM, which means I actually got to sleep in an extra hour LOL. I was hoping to wait until tomorrow but he's pulling out first thing tomorrow morning fo the other side of the country plus from a couple things he said when we were talking about the saddle I think there were others waiting in the wings if I didn't grab it. He didn't come right out and say it but I don't think there was any danger of it being left with the house or going to the curb. Thankfully it's not a roach, it's not like new either but is very well preserved for a 45 year old bike. Yeah, it's nothing special and just a carbon steel frame but it's growing on me and some of my favorite riders are HiTen

Yes LOL.
Also the nice rat trap pedals are likely worth 75 or more online maybe bit more if there easton's.
Old 03-02-24, 05:22 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Also the nice rat trap pedals are likely worth 75 or more online maybe bit more if there easton's.
I haven't tried them yet but I'm hopeful the toe clips are big enough for me as the seller was my size.
Old 03-02-24, 07:08 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 418 Posts
Murray Missile Looks like you are in a tough spot, when you like your parts bike too much..

It does look like a nice Raleigh..

Last edited by daverup; 03-02-24 at 07:11 PM.
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-05-24, 08:24 AM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Not exactly classic or vintage. There's a man who collects scrap metal in my neighborhood. I spied this bike (without seat or seat clamp) in his pick up truck. I traded a couple of Huffy style frames for it. It fits me perfectly. My first bike with shocks. There was a tag in the spokes, it looked like a claim ticket for a pawn shop but just had a number, and no name of the shop. I'm guessing there's a story there.

Old 03-05-24, 10:09 AM
marnar

Bikes: 70's Gitanes TDF; MB-3, '63 JC Higgins, Centurion Pro Tour 15, 80's Guilbilato, and a couple of Rex's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I got a bike with a shock once. It was toast so I replaced it with a regular fork, which is what the bike came with. Apparently, my shock wasn't worth rebuilding. Hopefully yours is a good shock. I am a notably bad mountain bike rider.

Vintage or not, nice save!
Old 03-08-24, 09:39 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

Looks like the Spring Cleaning season is starting. The Peugeot had been rebuilt recently and could have been ridden in except for a failed derailleur spring. It's wheels got crunched and there are some new fender dents. The new tires and a clean set of Mafac Racers got it in the van, but its only a wheel swap from being a bike. The mountain bike is a cheapie, but a zero mile garage queen 7 speed Shimano cheapie, that just needs tires to be a bike. At this point I kind of prefer to find wrecked bikes, verses whole bikes added to the re-home pile.

PS. Google just informed me that Tunturi is a Finnish brand, so that's kinda cool...

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-08-24 at 03:51 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-13-24, 04:59 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Yep, Tunturi is a Finnish brand. I saw a bunch of their city bikes when I lived in Sweden.

Looking at the drive-side rear dropout, it looks to me like the frame was made in Taiwan by Giant. Is there an indication of where it was made?
Old 03-17-24, 09:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
A blue Serrota has rolled to the house o’ 66
Old 03-17-24, 02:57 PM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts
One mans junk is another…well…vintage Schwinn Continental, World Sport and a Peugeot. $13 a piece. Parts is why I snagged them. But…can I make them roadworthy? Or should I bother?

Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-17-24, 04:00 PM
daverup 

IdahoBrett In 1972 I really wanted that Sierra Brown Continental. I ended up with a Varsity..
These days, I really don't want a heavy Schwinn to drag it up hills. I think your hills are worse than mine.
I don't know which would be best to save. The parts on the World Sport look a little better to me.
Good luck!
Old 03-17-24, 04:41 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by IdahoBrett
One mans junk is another…well…vintage Schwinn Continental, World Sport and a Peugeot. $13 a piece. Parts is why I snagged them. But…can I make them roadworthy? Or should I bother?

-----

"Ladies and gentlemans, ve haf created ein monster!"

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-18-24, 08:27 AM
IdahoBrett 

Originally Posted by daverup
IdahoBrett In 1972 I really wanted that Sierra Brown Continental. I ended up with a Varsity..
These days, I really don't want a heavy Schwinn to drag it up hills. I think your hills are worse than mine.
I don't know which would be best to save. The parts on the World Sport look a little better to me.
Good luck!
I’m going to rehab the 1973 Continental. It’s the bike that drew me to the junk bike sale. I couldn’t resist the Sunset Orange and being big enough for me.

The seller was selling bikes in groups of 5 and wouldn’t allow a mix and match. So there are 2 that didn’t make it into the photo shoot and will go to the local co-op.

The 1988 World Sport, I don’t know yet. The headset feels funky (stiff/sticky). But would be easy to make road worthy. As long as it’s just a basic service. The 1985 Peugeot has a bent wheel and bent fork. I want to save it due to my recent foray into French bikes. But even road worthy I’d have a hard time giving it away.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-18-24, 08:46 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I would be partial to the World Sport. But I am biased because I really like my '84 WS.
Old 03-18-24, 08:57 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
I’m going to rehab the 1973 Continental. It’s the bike that drew me to the junk bike sale. I couldn’t resist the Sunset Orange and being big enough for me.

The seller was selling bikes in groups of 5 and wouldn’t allow a mix and match. So there are 2 that didn’t make it into the photo shoot and will go to the local co-op.

The 1988 World Sport, I don’t know yet. The headset feels funky (stiff/sticky). But would be easy to make road worthy. As long as it’s just a basic service. The 1985 Peugeot has a bent wheel and bent fork. I want to save it due to my recent foray into French bikes. But even road worthy I’d have a hard time giving it away.
-----

Mind how you go there young feller.

It may not be long before ye receive the ultimatum from Mrs. Idaho -

"It's either me or those (*&% bikes!"

---

BTW the azurene leone rampante looks to be a P6 or P8 sort of machine and may exhibit a CH bottom bracket

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-18-24, 09:09 AM
daverup 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

-----
That's why my wife's N+1 counter has to be increased along with mine.
Old 03-18-24, 09:18 AM
daverup 

Might be a late 72 Continental, that color really looks more like the Brown from 72. Now that I'm looking at it again, Chesnut showed up on 74's, and that looks closer. My Varsity was definitely Orange and it looked way different to me.
Doesn't really matter, I'll be jealous of you with it anyway, whatever color it is. Unless hills are involved.

Last edited by daverup; 03-18-24 at 09:29 AM.
Likes For daverup:
Old 03-18-24, 09:34 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezyRider
I would be partial to the World Sport. But I am biased because I really like my '84 WS.
Same. Mine was essentially a curb find and I’ve had a lot of fun with it. I’d snap another one up in a minute. They are a really versatile platform. The paint and decals on mine were beyond saving, which gave me the opportunity to use this pearl paint I’d been wanting to try.

Likes For daywood:
Old 03-18-24, 10:13 AM
IdahoBrett 

Originally Posted by daverup
Might be a late 72 Continental, that color really looks more like the Brown from 72. Now that I'm looking at it again, Chesnut showed up on 74's, and that looks closer. My Varsity was definitely Orange and it looked way different to me.
Doesn't really matter, I'll be jealous of you with it anyway, whatever color it is. Unless hills are involved.
Serial number decode of “MJ” says December ‘73. Cables and pads ordered via the bay. If I could find the right color bar tape I’d get some of that as well. I swear it’s the same color of the paint. But I can only find brown or a brighter orange that gets it close. Plenty of Hunt Wilde tape on the bay to choose from.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 03-18-24, 10:18 AM
IdahoBrett 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Mind how you go there young feller.

---

BTW the azurene leone rampante looks to be a P6 or P8 sort of machine and may exhibit a CH bottom bracket

-----
What is CH?

I should’ve had Mrs.Idaho along for the pick. She noticed the bent fork on the Pug right away once I showed her my recent score.

There was an orange Batavus mixte in another group that I would’ve swapped the Pug for.

Last edited by IdahoBrett; 03-18-24 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For IdahoBrett:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.