Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My latest project is a 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer (884) I need a TA crank-set

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My latest project is a 1972 Schwinn Sports Tourer (884) I need a TA crank-set

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-11, 05:39 PM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jbkirby
Hoss: I found this on ebay and you might offer a price that is out of the stratosphere and see if they bite.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-R...item43ac250b54

Also, where can you obtain Kool Lemon paint? My 1971 Sports Tourer needs repaining in the worst way!!!!
Buying Campy from Europe - In the twelve years I've been a member, I've never bought off ebay outside the USA. Paranoid I guess? I'll wait, there have been several in the USA in the past couple of months. $150.00~$175.00 is the norm, just not ready to buy one yet. Maybe in the spring. And I am going to buy a first generation one, I love the way they look. Nice to hear that they probably also work better than gen-II. Thanks for that info guys.

The paint. -
Pete Aronson is the grand wazoo of Stingrays and Krates. So he has been doing the paint for a long time. Here is his link to the paint page on his web site. https://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm

But me, I take my sample to my buddies at the auto-body paint store and we find a close proximity match of a factory auto color chip and tint from there to make an absolute match. I'm pretty sure there is a late 1970s GM color that is real close to Kool Lemon. ( I know there is a 1969 Camaro color that is almost a dead-ringer for Kool Orange as well. )
We spray-out some test panels to be sure we are on the money with the match and then we go with it. Doesn't take very much color in BC/CC as the base colors are very dense and cover like crazy.
On his web site Pete says you need a silver base-coat under the yellow, but I'm going to try without. We'll see how the test panels spray-out.

I'm getting excited about this build. It is going to be real cool. For me, this stuff is ART! I just dig it so much. Since I was a teenager, holding a Campy part in my hand was just magical. The stuff is so cool.
These old Schwinns are like Harleys. Only they are a lot less expensive, way easier to maintain. Take it off the wall, air the tires and off you go.

I am completely nuts over old road bikes. I may need re-hab!

It'll give me something to do in the next couple of months when the snow is flying and the wind is blowing like crazy.. If I can't ride 'em, I might as well build 'em. "and it's WAY cheaper than the motorcycle business that is my living"
I don't give a hoot if it does end-up weighing 30 pounds. I weigh 200 so we can drag each other up those hills next summer when I'm feeling particularly odd-ball nostalgic... The club members are going to love this iron horse...

Last edited by Hoss Cartright; 12-28-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-28-11, 07:00 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 966 Posts
I am completely nuts over old road bikes. I may need re-hab
Can I hear an "Amen"?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-29-11, 04:46 PM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
can i hear an "amen"?

amen!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-11, 04:49 PM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss Cartright
Buying Campy from Europe - In the twelve years I've been a member, I've never bought off ebay outside the USA. Paranoid I guess? I'll wait, there have been several in the USA in the past couple of months. $150.00~$175.00 is the norm, just not ready to buy one yet. Maybe in the spring. And I am going to buy a first generation one, I love the way they look. Nice to hear that they probably also work better than gen-II. Thanks for that info guys.

The paint. - Pete Aronson is the grand wazoo of Stingrays and Krates. So he has been doing the paint for a long time. Here is his link to the paint page on his web site. https://www.hyper-formance.com/paints.htm

But me, I take my sample to my buddies at the auto-body paint store and we find a close proximity match of a factory auto color chip and tint from there to make an absolute match. I'm pretty sure there is a late 1970s GM color that is real close to Kool Lemon. ( I know there is a 1969 Camaro color that is almost a dead-ringer for Kool Orange as well. )
We spray-out some test panels to be sure we are on the money with the match and then we go with it. Doesn't take very much color in BC/CC as the base colors are very dense and cover like crazy.
On his web site Pete says you need a silver base-coat under the yellow, but I'm going to try without. We'll see how the test panels spray-out.

I'm getting excited about this build. It is going to be real cool. For me, this stuff is ART! I just dig it so much. Since I was a teenager, holding a Campy part in my hand was just magical. The stuff is so cool.
These old Schwinns are like Harleys. Only they are a lot less expensive, way easier to maintain. Take it off the wall, air the tires and off you go.

I am completely nuts over old road bikes. I may need re-hab!

It'll give me something to do in the next couple of months when the snow is flying and the wind is blowing like crazy.. If I can't ride 'em, I might as well build 'em. "and it's WAY cheaper than the motorcycle business that is my living"
I don't give a hoot if it does end-up weighing 30 pounds. I weigh 200 so we can drag each other up those hills next summer when I'm feeling particularly odd-ball nostalgic... The club members are going to love this iron horse...
Thanks for the great information. The only issue stopping me is being able to procure decals that match the originals. I also hate to lose the parking decal from Auburn University from my freshman year, 1974-1975! The most exhilarating ride I have ever taken was in the early seventies when a buddy and I rode to the top of Abel Gap near Mount Cheaha, Alabama's highest point. I'll never forget how fast we flew riding back down the mountain on the return trip! My Sports Tourer felt rock-solid and stable.
Old 12-30-11, 08:24 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by jbkirby
Thanks for the great information. The only issue stopping me is being able to procure decals that match the originals. I also hate to lose the parking decal from Auburn University from my freshman year, 1974-1975! The most exhilarating ride I have ever taken was in the early seventies when a buddy and I rode to the top of Abel Gap near Mount Cheaha, Alabama's highest point. I'll never forget how fast we flew riding back down the mountain on the return trip! My Sports Tourer felt rock-solid and stable.
Ah the joy--- of boys on bikes!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-30-11, 08:39 AM
Hoss Cartright

Bikes: Schwinns, lots of them. Some Paramounts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I found the crankset. Thanks Al! -

Thanks to all for the input, now I have a good plan worked-out for this one. I will post photos as it progresses.
Old 12-30-11, 01:46 PM
triathloner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No problem, hope it works out for you. Guess that's why we all save oodles of stuff, someones going to need it sometime or another.