Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I'm dumb - help (derailleur and max cassette size)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 10:33 PM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Building a commencal meta HT mountain bike, and I bought a used wheelset that came with an 11-51T cassette, and then i also bought a used Sram GX rear derailleur. Put the derailleur on and was fiddling with it an noticed the upper pulley on the cage hits the largest cog on the cassette.

According to Sram this derailleur is only good up to 42T. Well damn.

Do I have any options, or just chuck the derailleur or cassette in the parts box and replace?
Old 11-19-23, 11:42 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 537 Posts
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17498508198...Bk9SR-zC-7P9Yg

since your derailleur will already clear a 42t cassette cog, this should work.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-20-23, 07:21 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by maddog34
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17498508198...Bk9SR-zC-7P9Yg

since your derailleur will already clear a 42t cassette cog, this should work.
That's says 50T max. Are you just assuming 51T is close enough?
Old 11-20-23, 12:51 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by Nixhex
That's says 50T max. Are you just assuming 51T is close enough?
no, i'm saying that since your derailleur already clears a 42 tooth low gear, it already hangs really low and will clear the 51 tooth gear once the extender is installed.

this is not a complex issue.. why make it complex in your mind?
get the extender and install it, or worry a lot for no reason and not ride... your choice.

PS,,, a 42/22 combo with a 2x Crankset fitted with a 36/22 would have given you a Far wider Range of gearing and even more options in ridiculously low gearing that will allow you to move much slower uphill than a medium slow walking pace.

my commencal is fitted with a 42-32-22 triple front and a 11-36 rear.... it is extremely versatile and a joy to ride... i walk up Really steep hills because it's easier and faster.... and gives me a chance to stretch my achillies tendons and calf muscles.

i'll assume you'll be running a 32t single crankset... that's the current trend.
front teeth count/ rear teeth count= gear ratio.
do the math

Last edited by maddog34; 11-20-23 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-20-23, 01:48 PM
Nixhex

I honestly don't care that much about the gear ratio, I ran a SS 32:20 combo for the longest time and that was fine. It's just that the cassette came with the wheelset, and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money buying and rebuying stuff.

But I went ahead with the hanger extension and I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario, it was $9 wasted, so not the end of the world.
Old 11-20-23, 01:59 PM
maddog34

I honestly don't care that much about the gear ratio, I ran a SS 32:20 combo for the longest time and that was fine. It's just that the cassette came with the wheelset, and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money buying and rebuying stuff.

But I went ahead with the hanger extension and I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario, it was $9 wasted, so not the end of the world.
it'll work. I've done several similar swaps.... with shimano components....

what shifter will you be using? I've found that SRAM shift/der. combos are clunky and crude, but fairly effective...
And be aware that SRAM and Shimano shift parts don't work together.... but that the cassettes are ok to swap at will.

PS.. you are ignorant, not "dumb"... Ignorance is fixable.. you are simply repairing your knowledge base.
(the above is not an insult, it's a compliment)
Old 11-20-23, 02:10 PM
maddog34

what shifter will you be using? I've found that SRAM shift/der. combos are clunky and crude, but fairly effective...
And be aware that SRAM and Shimano shift parts don't work together.... but that the cassettes are ok to swap at will.

PS.. you are ignorant, not "dumb"... Ignorance is fixable.. you are simply repairing your knowledge base.
Old 11-20-23, 08:16 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 395 Posts
Building a commencal meta HT mountain bike, and I bought a used wheelset that came with an 11-51T cassette, and then i also bought a used Sram GX rear derailleur. Put the derailleur on and was fiddling with it an noticed the upper pulley on the cage hits the largest cog on the cassette.

According to Sram this derailleur is only good up to 42T. Well damn.

Do I have any options, or just chuck the derailleur or cassette in the parts box and replace?
Went from 36T to 46T using a long derailleur hanger extender with an older SRAM x7
Also went from a 42-32-22 front to 34t so the chain still fit.
Old 11-21-23, 10:09 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by maddog34

Lol. My knowledge base needs frequent maintenance, but I appreciate that.

Extender thing is supposed to arrive today, so I'll slap it on there and let you know how it goes.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 11-21-23, 10:12 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Went from 36T to 46T using a long derailleur hanger extender with an older SRAM x7
Also went from a 42-32-22 front to 34t so the chain still fit.
I really wish I could just get a simple reliable older 9 speed setup or something. I don't care about the number of speeds; 1 is fine, 9 is fine, 11 is fine, 12 is fine, don't care. I just don't want to spend a pile of money on the latest gimmick.
Old 11-21-23, 12:45 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 424 Posts
9 speed stuff is still available and generally more reliable in my opinion. If you’re going 1x (1 chainring) check out Microshift or Box.
Old 11-21-23, 03:54 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 395 Posts
I really wish I could just get a simple reliable older 9 speed setup or something. I don't care about the number of speeds; 1 is fine, 9 is fine, 11 is fine, 12 is fine, don't care. I just don't want to spend a pile of money on the latest gimmick.
Yeah i get ya.

There are 50T in 8-9-10 speed cassettes.

Also I cheat by using friction thumb shifters, so any speed combination works fine.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 11-22-23, 08:47 AM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by bboy314
9 speed stuff is still available and generally more reliable in my opinion. If you’re going 1x (1 chainring) check out Microshift or Box.
If this doesn't pan out, I'll probably sell all the 11 speed bits on FB marketplace and go give the microshift advent 9 speed a try. Anyone have any experience with that line?
Old 11-22-23, 11:08 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 424 Posts
If this doesn't pan out, I'll probably sell all the 11 speed bits on FB marketplace and go give the microshift advent 9 speed a try. Anyone have any experience with that line?
I have a hardtail with Advent X (their 10 speed drivetrain) and it’s worked well for me, especially for the price.