Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery wheelset/skewer logo ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-23, 01:22 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts

I'm working on an old low-end Gitane mixte for a friend. Cottered cranks, that cool purple paint with foil decals, Simplex plastique shifting, Mafac brakes. You know the drill. But it's got some decent 27" wheels on it, and I'm wondering what they are. Aluminum hubs and aluminum rims, but both unbranded. Shimano freewheel with the 3.3.3 branding and the old style Shimano remover that's got deep splines like a Regina. The rims have textured sidewalls even though they are aluminum, not steel. The only logo on the wheelset is on the quick release skewer, of which here's a photo:

Anyone got any idea what brand these are?

I'm mostly trying to figure out because I'm wondering if they are French. If they are French (and French threaded), it means the freewheel, a Shimano, is likely going to strip the threads when it comes off. I'd like to avoid that. I have never seen a French threaded Shimano freewheel.
Old 06-21-23, 01:31 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,754 Times in 966 Posts
I think the skewer is a Sunshine product, but their hubs would probably have 5345 stamped.
Old 06-21-23, 01:38 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I think the skewer is a Sunshine product, but their hubs would probably have 5345 stamped.
Thanks! I was thinking Sansin/Sunshine, but have never seen this variant. Where would the 5345 be stamped? The hubs are pretty grimy and I only cleaned up the hub barrels looking for logos.
Old 06-21-23, 02:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

yes, skewer a relatively early Matsumoto one

the company's large flange hub which was contemporaneous with this skewer had the small round holes in its flanges

when the fange holes subsequently changed to the larger ones the skewer changed to the model with the curved lever and the full Sunshine name

but of course hubs could be Matsumoto or they could be something else...

better view of barrel and flanges might help readers to help you

-----

Last edited by juvela; 06-22-23 at 07:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-23-23, 03:46 PM
scarlson 

Right you are, here are some better views of front and rear hubs.

They have the oblong holes, but the holes are rather small in size compared to, say, a Campy hub. No branding _anywhere_ in sight!

Old 06-23-23, 04:00 PM
scarlson 

They really look like Normandy hubs, don't they? The size/number/placement of the holes in the flange, and the various bulges really line up with Maillard/Atom/Normandy, the cheap ones. Funny there is no branding on the hub barrels.

And the rear doesn't have the groove machined in the area between the freewheel and the hub. Wonder if this Shimano 3.3.3 freewheel is French threaded... Sometimes they only say on the backside, which would be hidden!

I may just try taking it off and see.
Old 06-23-23, 04:23 PM
juvela

-----

hubs appear to be Normandy Sport

expect cones to be old enough to exhibit the black oxide finish

if 1972 or later the OLD of the rear will be 122

if earlier the OLD will be 120

when Matsumoto changed from the small round holes in the flanges they went to a shape which is somewhat trapezoid

this was approximately 1973

​​​​​​

if rear hub lacks groove it should be metric thread

a BSC thread gear block can be easily threaded onto a metric hub as the pitch diameter of metric is 34.7mm while the pitch diameter of BSC is 34.85mm

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 06-23-23, 04:29 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

hubs appear to be Normandy Sport
Thanks!! Seems right to me..

a BSC thread gear block can be easily threaded onto a metric hub as the pitch diameter of metric is 34.7mm while the pitch diameter of BSC is 34.85mm
Right, I have done this in my younger days. This is what I am afraid of. Karma returns this misfortune to me.
Old 07-04-23, 05:03 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by scarlson
Right, I have done this in my younger days. This is what I am afraid of. Karma returns this misfortune to me.

Yep, as we suspected. BSC freewheel on metric hub. I was about to send these wheels to a good friend, and I am glad I did not.

It was not on tight at all, which makes me hope the thing wasn't ridden much if at all. A few metal shavings came out when I unscrewed it but the threads look good, so I bet the hub can still be used with a French gear block.
Old 07-04-23, 05:19 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
when the fange holes subsequently changed to the larger ones the skewer changed to the model with the curved lever and the full Sunshine name
Would that be this one? I've been trying to figure out the hub it goes to..

Last edited by Schweinhund; 07-04-23 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-04-23, 05:38 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by Schweinhund
Would that be this one? I've been trying to figure out the hub it goes to..

-----

yes, you have it

as recalled, the transition time was 1973-1974

when one goes back far eno' in Matsumoto hubs they made some where the dustcaps are press fit to the cones

[this is a photo found to illustrate, do not know maker of this axle set]

---

forgot to mention above that it is fairly common to encounter Normandy Sport hubs which are completely unmarked

have no idea what fraction of the production may have left Incheville marked vs unmarked but the unmarked are not particularly rare

-----

Last edited by juvela; 07-04-23 at 05:56 PM. Reason: addition & correction
Likes For juvela: