Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

100 test miles on '73 Paramount P13v2 repair so far....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 08:34 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Yeah, and this summer has been crazy. I had to find/move apartments, move out of Harvard, start the job, and fix a ton of overdue car problems myself, since this job requires a car. The job turned out to be waaay too much travel, which I found out in September, after having spent half the worknights in hotels far away from the expensive Arlington Heights apartment we've got now. What's the point?! So I just made a lateral move into a more locally based position at the same company, which is conveniently situated near the end of a 10 mile bike path that goes by my new apartment. So I may be able to bike commute and lose some of the weight I put on during the Ph.D. and broken leg saga of last year.

The whole thing has been a mess. Herse, Cooper, and Taylor are in storage in NH right now, along with the majority of my bike junkpile and a ton of SAAB car parts I need to sell or give away. I just did my first real ride in 2 months today!! Anddd found out I need a new back tire for my Trek. So, I'm still out of the game for another while - at least until I get the cars in good shape and the commuter bikes back on the road.

[ /thread_hijack ]
Glad to see you back!
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 10-07-23, 12:12 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Glad to see you back!
Good to be back! How's the Trek holding up?
Old 10-07-23, 04:36 AM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
88ss
Prior to 1971, all models of Paramount men's road bike shared the same geometry, build features, forks, and tubing lengths for specific frame sizes. Even though a P13 came equipped with tubular wheels in the 622mm size (aka 700c), the frame was sized to handle the larger 630mm (aka 27") clincher/wired on wheelsets. A drop bolt was utilized on the Campagnolo brake calipers in order to reach the tubular wheelset.
Sometime during 1971, the P13 began receiving the changes that you mention. Kurt started a thread on this transition 13 years ago. Initially, IIRC, he concluded the transition occurred sometime in late spring. However, we found examples from earlier in the year which incorporated the changes, including my early March 1971 P13.
I do hope this is helpful information. Of course, 700c clincher wheelsets pair nicely on P13s, and for riders who don't want to run tubulars, this is a great alternative. I have also squeezed 27 X 1&1/8 wheels on my P13.
The distance between the center of the brake mount bolt and the center of the axles on this '73 Paramount is 14", on bikes made for 27" wheels I have measured it is 15", quite a difference. The junk-box calipers I have on this '73 bike are "Schwinn Approved" and originally off a '74 Sprint I scrapped out because it was too small for me, I have to put the shoes all the way up in the arm slots to get them to work with the 700c wheels now on the bike, so they would never work with 27" rims as there is no adjustment left. And I must say these Schwinn-approved side-pulls give little braking power and I will be glad to try something else in their place and throw them in the trash. One thing I did was take a ruler and compare the measurements of a plain '79 LeTour to this '73 Paramount, and despite the Letour having brake mounts 15" from it's axles, it's chainstays and overall wheelbase and other specs seem identical to the Paramount and it's head/seat-tube angles look the same too, so Schwinn must have eventually patterned all of it's road bikes after the changes that first popped up in the P13v2. I always did think that LeTour handled great. Also I am disappointed in the ride qualities of the famous Reynolds 531 frame, it seems to ride no better than the LeTour or other straight gauge 70s bikes I have put thousands of miles on, and not as good as Columbus frames I have ridden. Not impressed with the Brooks saddle either at all. I did have fun fixing the frame up and am having a lot of fun learning about the history of Schwinn. To those who may think of spending a lot of money on an old Paramount, I would discourage them and tell them to get one of the mid-late 80s Schwinn road bikes sold with Columbus frame tubes, which can be found for sale dirt-cheap and will be a lot better riding and even lighter bike if that is important to them.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-07-23, 04:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
The distance between the center of the brake mount bolt and the center of the axles on this '73 Paramount is 14", on bikes made for 27" wheels I have measured it is 15", quite a difference. The junk-box calipers I have on this '73 bike are "Schwinn Approved" and originally off a '74 Sprint I scrapped out because it was too small for me, I have to put the shoes all the way up in the arm slots to get them to work with the 700c wheels now on the bike, so they would never work with 27" rims as there is no adjustment left. And I must say these Schwinn-approved side-pulls give little braking power and I will be glad to try something else in their place and throw them in the trash. One thing I did was take a ruler and compare the measurements of a plain '79 LeTour to this '73 Paramount, and despite the Letour having brake mounts 15" from it's axles, it's chainstays and overall wheelbase and other specs seem identical to the Paramount and it's head/seat-tube angles look the same too, so Schwinn must have eventually patterned all of it's road bikes after the changes that first popped up in the P13v2. I always did think that LeTour handled great. Also I am disappointed in the ride qualities of the famous Reynolds 531 frame, it seems to ride no better than the LeTour or other straight gauge 70s bikes I have put thousands of miles on, and not as good as Columbus frames I have ridden. Not impressed with the Brooks saddle either at all. I did have fun fixing the frame up and am having a lot of fun learning about the history of Schwinn. To those who may think of spending a lot of money on an old Paramount, I would discourage them and tell them to get one of the mid-late 80s Schwinn road bikes sold with Columbus frame tubes, which can be found for sale dirt-cheap and will be a lot better riding and even lighter bike if that is important to them.
‘this is the classic and vintage forum, old lugged steel bikes are adored.
the “ I can tell the difference in the steel used” sure.
‘geometry and build luck or quality are the biggest factors. Hard to isolate. A bike magazine did it decades ago, all built by the same builder, same geometry. Inconclusive. Maybe a nod to the cheaper thicker tube set.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-07-23, 06:39 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by davester
I'm no expert, but that steerer tube repair looks scary as heck to me. Wondering why you didn't just cut the top off and extend the threads.
Next time stop at "I'm no expert."
Old 10-07-23, 06:42 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Not only that, but it was a squandered opportunity to eliminate that pesky slotted portion of the threads, as well as reduce the threaded section to the bare minimum needed for the headset upper.
Because all bicycle forums are absolutely clogged with posts about the misery caused by the slots and extra threads in headsets, it is the bane of all cyclists. If you have to dig that deep to find something nit-picky to say about a thread, then just go find something better to do with your life. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
Old 10-07-23, 06:47 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Please tell us that you welded an insert inside of the steerer tube and didn't show that step. The idea that you welded the steerer tube back together end-to-end does not seem structurally sound to me.I love the creativity, but that particular junction scares me. I wouldn't ride it.
You don't have to worry about me telling you what does not seem sound about your bikes, because I don't care. Try it some time.
Old 10-07-23, 06:51 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I had a fork steerer extended by cutting the steerer, inserting a plug, and brazing to desired length. Worked fine. (Okay, it's the same fork that tried to kill me a couple months ago, but that was a blade near the dropout, not the steerer, which was an remains solid as a rock: If that was the technique used here, I'd say it should be fine. But if it is just the two ends of the cut tube joined together, let's just say you are a braver man than I for riding it. Breaking a steerer at speed can lead to bad results a la George Hincapie at Paris-Roubaix.

I'm more curious about some of the other joints. The OP used the term "welded/brazed"; I sure hope all those joints were brazed and none of them were welded.
He talks about how a brazed joint just about killed him a couple months ago, then says he hopes all the joints on this project were brazed. Brilliant. He also apparently forgot about the many millions of bicycle frames in daily use that are of all welded construction. Funny how the people who have no idea what they are talking about, always talk the most, but then if you have no skill other than talking, you go with your strength.....
Old 10-07-23, 07:00 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
Next time stop at "I'm no expert."
If you're going to be insulting, perhaps you should go to the road cycling forum where such posts are more the norm. My observation was perfectly valid, and others (who you also insulted) expressed a similar opinion, since butt joining a steerer tube without reinforcement can produce a weak and dangerous result if not done perfectly; generally shortening would be gone by cutting the top off the steerer, not the middle.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-07-23, 07:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
He talks about how a brazed joint just about killed him a couple months ago, then says he hopes all the joints on this project were brazed. Brilliant. He also apparently forgot about the many millions of bicycle frames in daily use that are of all welded construction. Funny how the people who have no idea what they are talking about, always talk the most, but then if you have no skill other than talking, you go with your strength.....
It wasn't a brazed joint that broke, his fork blade cracked right at the vent hole. He was pretty sure it had been rechromed, another strike against it, but I haven't seen a fork break like that ever.

I was looking at your solution, and it was definately out of the box, and you saved a dead frame. I thought it was very clever use of the tools you had at hand. The only thing I would have suggested is shortening the tips of the seat stays before brazing them back on, but that's just an aesthetic issue.
Old 10-07-23, 07:02 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Uhhhhh. Can we maybe take it down a notch?
Old 10-07-23, 07:29 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by davester
If you're going to be insulting, perhaps you should go to the road cycling forum where such posts are more the norm. My observation was perfectly valid, and others (who you also insulted) expressed a similar opinion, since butt joining a steerer tube without reinforcement can produce a weak and dangerous result if not done perfectly; generally shortening would be gone by cutting the top off the steerer, not the middle.
Just like my method of repairing frames suits my knowledge and skill set, my method for dealing with this problem will too, welcome to my ignore list, and hopefully you and the others making useless comments in this thread will do me the same favor, thanks in advance........ bye bye.......
Old 10-07-23, 07:50 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
The second draft of this post was a fairly detailed explanation of why your post is oh-so-wrong and explaining why welding a Paramount made of Reynolds 531, as opposed to brazing it, is a bad idea. It also included a brief discussion of why the millions of welded frames in the world could safely be welded. I erased it because you simply aren't worth it.

Both the erased second draft and this third draft are a lot more polite than my three-word first draft. I may not be posting that first draft, but I'm still thinking it.
Old 10-07-23, 08:07 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Too bad it didn't get repaired correctly by a qualified frame builder. Just be cause you can, doesn't mean you should.
Likes For fender1:
Old 10-07-23, 10:19 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
...and explaining why welding a Paramount made of Reynolds 531, as opposed to brazing it, is a bad idea. It also included a brief discussion of why the millions of welded frames in the world could safely be welded...

I'm actually fairly interested in this! If you don't want to post it here, we can maybe move it to a PM. I read through the saga of your Columbus fork that failed, back when I was doing some research on hydrogen embrittlement (which I think came up as a possibility with this fork). By the way, the new fork looks dope on that Cinelli, love love love the svelte curve of the crown from a straight and slightly higher side profile.

I also have a busted Paramount, w/ a crack in the chainstay dropout joint, but only on the back half of it. When I was talking to Kurt about it, or maybe Mad Honk, one of them had mentioned that there was someone that did a repair on a bike with nearly the exact same issue by tigging the crack up and thus were able to save the chrome. Curious as to if you think that may or may not be a good call, considering its 531...

@88ss please add me to your ignore list You've got an awesome project, and I love to 'git 'r done' ingenuity you've displayed, but these are good dudes you are talking smack to, that are just trying to help. Ya gotta be open to feedback man. A sleeve inserted in the fork steerer is a pretty important detail to either have or leave out, because it can mean the difference between a fork that stays together or not. You obviously have some talent with a torch, and not just anyone would attempt what you did, especially on a Paramount of all things. I would take any critique you hear as some very, very respected ppl on this forum trying to enhance you. Bye bye...

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-07-23 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 10:43 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
Wow, went out for a ride and come back to another gone off the rails thread from a newbie, imagine that.

I knew we were off to an interesting start, unknown guy performs improbable repair/hack with unusual acumen, impresses and brags.

Receives constructive criticism, becomes defensive and blows up mostly well meaning and concerned discussion.

Classic.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-07-23, 10:47 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Wow, went out for a ride and come back to another gone off the rails thread from a newbie, imagine that.

I knew we were off to an interesting start, unknown guy performs improbable repair/hack with unusual acumen, impresses and brags.

Receives constructive criticism, becomes defensive and blows up mostly well meaning and concerned discussion.

Classic.
You mean this has happened before. I'm shocked, shocked I say . . . .
Old 10-07-23, 10:56 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,391 Times in 3,675 Posts
You mean this has happened before. I'm shocked, shocked I say . . . .
I know, TRULY HARD TO BELIEVE! ! !

I'm always sad when these start, often good, then goes south when questioned, how do they think it will go when they try and jump in the deep end.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-08-23, 01:59 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
You don't have to worry about me telling you what does not seem sound about your bikes, because I don't care. Try it some time.
You posted your work on a public forum. Implicitly, that means that you're looking for feedback. If all you want is "attaboys", just let us know that. If you don't care what I or others have to say, why are you posting your work here?

Anyway, good luck with your bike. I hope you get many happy miles out of it.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 10-08-23, 04:58 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Reminded me decades ago on the old framebuilders bikelist where a participant -Mallard? Was describing how he built up a crushed top tube with lots of brass, I think pounded into shape a bit first.
Old 10-08-23, 08:10 PM
88ss

The second draft of this post was a fairly detailed explanation of why your post is oh-so-wrong and explaining why welding a Paramount made of Reynolds 531, as opposed to brazing it, is a bad idea. It also included a brief discussion of why the millions of welded frames in the world could safely be welded. I erased it because you simply aren't worth it.

Both the erased second draft and this third draft are a lot more polite than my three-word first draft. I may not be posting that first draft, but I'm still thinking it.
I never said I welded any of the joints of the frame at all, if you were literate you would have seen that. I welded the steer tube and head tube, and brazed the joints that were originally brazed, which I why I said I "brazed/welded" the frame. You made an assumption and ran with it. Please add me to your ignore list so I don't have to see you make a fool of yourself again, I am doing likewise. Have a nice life then.....
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-08-23, 08:16 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by merziac
Classic.
LOOOOOOL Constructive criticism is not "I am not an expert but I am going to tell you about what I am not an expert at anyway blah blah blah blah". LOOOOOOL Never have to defend myself against that, it is just annoying when that is all the forum has to offer, like your assumptions for instance. Welcome to my ignore list, please add me to yours too, thank-you and goodbye.....
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-08-23, 08:24 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
In before the lock.

This thread has everything.
Likes For fender1:
Old 10-08-23, 08:35 PM
santa fe 2926 

Bikes: 1985 Roberts SLX, Mercian 531, 1984 Torpado SLX,1981/82 Peugeot PSV-10, 1978 Charlie Roberts full touring, 1970 Charlie Roberts 531 road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 62 Posts
I know nothing about frame repairs, braising, or welding. If someone can make these repairs, and they work, well good for them, there’s many recipes for making a cake. My way of making sourdough bread may not be your way, and that’s okay.
Likes For santa fe 2926:
Old 10-08-23, 08:35 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
I welded the steer tube

I've got a broken Paramount you can have at all day, but please stay away from the Huffys

Last edited by AdventureManCO; 10-08-23 at 08:51 PM.
Likes For AdventureManCO:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.