Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ok...What would you do?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ok...What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 08:06 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Load your bike in the car, drive across the bridge and park where you can ride the bike path you want. No car....Uber it across.
Old 09-16-23, 06:32 PM
hevysrf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyro
Load your bike in the car, drive across the bridge and park where you can ride the bike path you want. No car....Uber it across.

I admit in winter I load the bike on the car 4 miles to the local MUP.
Old 09-16-23, 06:39 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by hevysrf
I admit in winter I load the bike on the car 4 miles to the local MUP.
I load my fat bike during the same, to ride in my large local cemetery when the sides of the roads are thick with snow.
Old 09-16-23, 07:33 PM
MagnaRota

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I would be careful, make sure there isn't a group coming, and ride in the bike lane both ways. Every cyclist will understand.
Old 09-17-23, 02:01 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
It's not used much. Widthwise I would say slightly (maybe 1 foot wider) than the type of sidewalk you'd see in the 70s-80s
Used a lot or a little is totally irrelevant in my book. YOUR life is your life. Ride the sidewalk without a worry in the world. Just respect pedestrians using it. But to ride where you're totally uncomfortable? Why? And if you think it affects a lot of other cyclists, then it sounds like this route needs attention from transportation engineers. I assume there are sidewalks on both sides. So they can simply make one for peds and the other for cyclists. Pretty easy solution without ANY road changes. Just some signage and paint and they can make the crossing far safer for everyone involved.

Oh and why are you assuming you're required to ride the road? Many cities allow for cyclists to ride on the sidewalk in certain areas. In CA, ALL Children under 12 are allowed and recommended to ride on sidewalks.
Old 09-17-23, 06:36 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Oddly, there is no sidewalk on the side with the bike lane. It's almost as if the people planning this thought one side would be for bikes and one side for pedestrians. Which makes no sense but there you go.
Old 09-17-23, 11:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
it sounds like this route needs attention from transportation engineers.
Since there is already a dedicated pedestrian/cyclist bridge a couple of blocks away this probably isn't high on the list.
Old 09-18-23, 08:13 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The Walnut St Bridge is a dedicated pedestrian and bicycle bridge. Why don't you use it?
Did this question ever get answered?
Old 09-18-23, 08:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
Certainly DO NOT ride the wrong way down the bike lane it is dangerous and stupid and a poor idea for anyone to attempt anywhere. You put cyclists at risk and yourself at risk as well.
I would probably ride with traffic in the road there are two lanes in that direction at least. Maybe not always the most fun but you aren't in the way and people can get into another lane if they feel like they need to get past you. If you absolutely need to take the sidewalk but that can again pose problems for pedestrians crossing the bridge.
Old 09-18-23, 08:57 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My guess is there would be minimal foot traffic on a bridge like that. I would ride on the sidewalk. From time to time I cross a (possibly) similar bridge over the St. Johns river in Palatka, FL. I always ride on the sidewalk and have never had a conflict with pedestrians, cyclists, or anyone else. The sidewalk is clearly the safest and most sensible option.
Old 09-18-23, 08:57 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I'd just ride the sidewalk and take my time if there's pedestrians. I've got a couple bridges somewhat close to me, both have sidewalks and say cyclists should dismount to cross, I'm not walking that far, on the one bridge I've never seen a pedestrian, the other there's been the occasional rare sighting but you just slow to a walking pace as you approach them and be courteous.