Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mechanic vs Di2 Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-24, 10:48 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by AMoney
I'm definitely interested in the UDH standard, but why would it matter if I get AXS over Di2?
SRAM makes a derailleur that mounts directly to the axle. It only fits on bikes with UDH compatibility but it’s not mounted to a hanger at all. To my knowledge, nobody else makes a derailleur like that.

Its called the T-type and it’s supposed to be really strong.
Old 01-30-24, 11:01 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have also been studying Di2 in consideration of an upgrade, but as far as I can tell the only advantages are (1) faster shifts (meh) and (2) not having to replace shift cables every 2 years or so. My theory is that since Di2 now comes with 12 speeds and (potentially) closer cog spacer, a bent RD hanger would affect shifting even more prominently than on a 11-speed mechanic drivetrain.
3. Not having to worry about trim
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-30-24, 11:08 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Maybe start with a new bike that has a UDH standard and get a T-type AXS setup. I bet after that, all your hanger and shifting problems will go away.
My T-type AXS setup doesn't shift as well as my nearly 10 year old Di2 setup.
Old 01-30-24, 11:32 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I have Ultegra Di2 on the black bike. I have Campy Record on the other black bike. With the exception of replacement cables every couple years, NEITHER has required any maintenance beyond cleaning and battery recharge. Zero, zilch, nada. The newer one is a 2015. I believe that the better the groupset, the less adjustment and maintenance required. The Campy probably deserves new cogs, but I'm into tough love.
Old 01-30-24, 11:34 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
imo, solve the main issue thats causing the hanger to bend & you're wanting to consider changing group parts will no longer be entertained.
Old 01-30-24, 11:59 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Lots of bent hangers: It seems mysterious to me, since you didn't crash or drop the bike on the derailleur side. I have questions:

I assume the shifting was getting noisy and/or difficult. Did replacing the hanger immediately fix the shifting, or did it also need derailleur cable adjustments?

Did you do the replacement yourself, or was it a shop?

Did anyone try fixing the bent hanger with a hanger adjustment tool? Those tools are very effective for minor hanger bends.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-30-24 at 12:03 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-30-24, 12:02 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Di2 maintenance:
At 9 years old, my Ultegra Di2 had extremely low maintenance.

I replaced the seatpost battery at about 5 years, since the time between recharges was getting down to a weekly range, instead of the usual 4 to 6 weeks range. The new battery is still good, 4 years later.

I probably replaced the derailleur pulleys, but don't remember doing it.

The shifters buttons are still "like new", the shifter hoods are fine. The front and rear derailleurs were good, no flex from worn pulleys.

I do a software "shifting micro adjust" maybe once a year or so, to fine tune the shifting if the chain is slightly off center of the cogs, making it a bit noisy. That's a simple method of pressing the "setup" button and clicking the up or down button on the shifter to move the shift position slightly inward or outward. I've even done this while riding!

Since I plan to keep the bike for a long time, I proactively replaced the rear derailleur with the newer 11 speed version. I didn't want a future sudden failure and possible difficulties getting replacements. The new one was compatible with my existing components, nice!

~~~~
Di2 advantages
The easy "click like a mouse" shifting lets me shift easily from any hand position. Sometimes I'm using my ring finger to shift. Front derailleurs usually needed a long throw, with decent finger leverage -- the Di2 is just a click.

I have the rear set for "Shift 3 cogs with a long click". That's holding the button for 1/2 second or longer. At the bottom of a hill: hold both front and rear bottom buttons -- it shifts to the small chainring and three harder gears in the back. Over the top of the hill, hold both top buttons -- to the big ring and three easier gears. No thinking required!

I'll shift the rear for just a couple of pedal strokes, then shift again as needed -- it's fast and reliable. I'll shift the front for even a small 30 foot hill, where I would just mash a high gearing on my older bike.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-30-24 at 12:10 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 01-30-24, 01:51 PM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I have mechanical Ultegra and other than replacing cables every year or so, not much maintenance.

My friends with Di2 or SRAM electric seem to always be taking their bikes to the shop for something.

That said, I certainly would buy electric next time, just like a car, but new-and-improved doesn't necessarily mean less maintenance.
When your friends with Di2 took their bikes to the shop, what shifting issues were they having?

Last edited by AMoney; 01-30-24 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 05:10 PM
AMoney

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Lots of bent hangers: It seems mysterious to me, since you didn't crash or drop the bike on the derailleur side. I have questions:

I assume the shifting was getting noisy and/or difficult. Did replacing the hanger immediately fix the shifting, or did it also need derailleur cable adjustments?

Did you do the replacement yourself, or was it a shop?

Did anyone try fixing the bent hanger with a hanger adjustment tool? Those tools are very effective for minor hanger bends.
My road bike has a 105 R7000 groupset. What usually happens is the chain works well in 9 or 10 of the gears, but it sucks in one of the other gears (rarely the same one). This leads me to think that the barrel adjuster is off. I troubleshoot the barrel adjuster by tightening it, 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn at a time, but generally not more than 1 turn. If that doesn't work, I loosen it from where it was previously, and also not by more than 1 turn. If that also doesn't solve the problem, I take the bike to the shop. The problem is very often that the derailleur hanger is very slightly bent. Most of the time, this fixes the shifting, though sometimes they also tweak the cable tension. I have never tried using the hanger adjustment tool, but the LBS does.

I will say that 3 of the derailleur hangers I had were the stock ones (my bike is a Giant TCR Pro). Right now, I'm on my second Wheels Manufacturing derailleur hanger. I agree that they're better than the stock derailleur hangers, but I'm not sure this is solving my problem altogether.
Old 01-30-24, 05:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
....I take the bike to the shop. The problem is very often that the derailleur hanger is very slightly bent......
When I see repetitive "bending" of the hanger without a known cause, especially slight bending, I suspect that it's not actually bending.

Instead, I suspect that the hanger is not secure and rigid where it's attached. All too often, the mating surfaces either aren't flat, or something is preventing the hanger from pocketing correctly. That allows for it to move slightly throwing the RD off.

I'd remove and check the hanger and see if it mates rigidly to the frame. I'd also invest in a hanger alignment tool for future use.

The real clue here is that only one of your bikes has this issue, supporting my assumption that it's specific to the frame.

Last edited by FBinNY; 01-30-24 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 01-30-24, 08:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Is the hanger alignment being checked by the shop after the replacement goes on? I'm wondering if the mount for the hanger is off. If this were mine, I'd run that alignment tool after mounting, then tweak as necessary to get the hanger perfect. Make it a point to treat that derailleur and hanger like delicate objects. If it still goes out of alignment, I'd be looking for perhaps a dropout that has structural issues.
Old 01-30-24, 08:27 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I was unaware that you could change the Di2 shifting speed. Is that done thru the ETube app?
Yes
The app is awesome
It connects via bluetooth which is standard with the 12 speed Di2...if you have an older version you need the bluetooth dongle.
Old 01-30-24, 08:33 PM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Is the hanger alignment being checked by the shop after the replacement goes on? I'm wondering if the mount for the hanger is off. If this were mine, I'd run that alignment tool after mounting, then tweak as necessary to get the hanger perfect. Make it a point to treat that derailleur and hanger like delicate objects. If it still goes out of alignment, I'd be looking for perhaps a dropout that has structural issues.
I've always made it a habit to check a new rear mech hanger when installing it. I've seen them a bit out of alignment right out of the bag so I don't trust them to be perfect.
If the mount for the hanger is off...this could be the case if the frame is not carbon...unless of course the frame is out of alignment which would require alignment jigs and measurement tools to check...usually you can see if the dropout itself is out of alignment and even if so the hanger is aligned to the rim of the wheel which will compensate for a misaligned/bent/etc drop out. But it would take a lot of force to bend or misalign the drop out itself.

I agree with you on treating the hanger and mech like delicate objects. The number of gears means a very precise and small movement of the mech compared to my old 5 speed freewheel with friction shifters...man you could move them a lot before a shift occurred lol. Not like today's precision devices, especially electronic.
Old 01-30-24, 08:37 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
I worked at a Focus dealer where one model would bend its own hanger depending on the quick release tension. I have run into plenty of others so badly designed that virtually any sort of manipulation caused the hanger to flex, bend or shift.

Di2 derailleurs and shifters wear out, just like mech.
Di2 batteries wear out - very fast if you charge them wrong.
Di2 cables are not highly resistant to damage, and sometimes unplug easily.
Di2 requires firmware updates. I have run into many non-functioning Di2 bikes that were because of this. It is another kind of maintenance.

Shimano road bikes destroy cables. Campy and SRAM can be operated for a very long time without cable replacement, even though that isn't a great idea.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-30-24 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-30-24, 08:46 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
On my bikes, I use the "big-big" method to size the chains. I double-checked the chain length on my road bike. There are 2 extra links on my road bike. I am skeptical that the chain is too short. I don't think that this is likely, but is there any possibility that the combination of a relatively large cassette in the back (11-32) and the aggressive geometry of my bike has anything to do with the derailleur hanger bending?
I have a slightly bigger cassettes on two bikes, and one bike is 40 years old. No bent hangar. In fact I have never bent one. No shifting issues either, and no excessive maintenance required. You have something else going on.
Old 01-30-24, 08:47 PM
Kai Winters

A friend has one of the first editions of Di2 10 speed. He bought it used and it stills works perfectly...this is almost a surprise because my friend is awful when it comes to maintenance and care of his bike...he doesn't take care of it at all and it still runs great.

I was on Campy Super Record Carbon 9 speed for over 21 years...1999 Merlin ti build...It performed flawlessly for its life and I loved it. Unfortunately after well over 100,000 miles of use the springs on the rear mech went and it started to shift terribly...very sloppy, not aligned, etc...I tried to find replacement parts but none were available and it was the last of that specific shifting angle version. The newer 9 speed changed and was not compatible. But for all those years it was perfect and I still love it and miss it but I'd not go back after using Di2. It's not as pretty but dayum it shifts so fast and so perfectly no matter what I throw at it. Last year I was in a 50 mile road race and it started raining right after the start...I don't mean showers I mean "Noah, it's time" torrential downpours. I was worried about how the Di2 would work but throughout the race it worked perfectly and has ever since.

But on the other side of the coin I work on bikes with drive trains that are decades old...I mean from the '60's and up...and most are not well maintained or cared for and they still work...maybe not perfectly but they work. Mechanical drive trains aren't going anywhere for decades to come. They are just to easy to manufacture, don't cost a lot to make and keep less expensive bike prices within reason to the masses of "people who ride a bike" not "riders" in general.
Old 01-31-24, 02:49 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
... It is really a ton of fun and way better than SRAM AXS which only allows you to adjust all the gears at once vs each individual on Shimano ...
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny this, but I don't believe Di2 allows for individual gear adjustment. It's just one adjustment for all 12 gears.

Having said that, I recently switched to Di2 and I've got to say I wouldn't readily switch back. In fact, I'm very pleased to have waved goodbye to Bowden cables, which seemed to be the main source of all the maintenance requirements on my bike. I found I needed to tweak the barrel adjuster as the weather got hotter or colder, and the rim brakes needed constant adjustment, too, as well as spreading black gunge everywhere. The hydraulic disc brakes work far better with no constant fiddling, and the Di2 just works perfectly. Literally the only maintenance I've had to do since getting my bike is to clean and lubricate the chain every couple of weeks. I've now done nearly 2,000 miles completely adjustment free.
Old 01-31-24, 07:18 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Yes
The app is awesome
It connects via bluetooth which is standard with the 12 speed Di2...if you have an older version you need the bluetooth dongle.
I have the dongle and when I started up eTube yesterday on my phone, I dug thru the menus and submenus and found where the shift speed can be changed.

My Di2 shift speed is currently set to Normal. When The outdoor riding season starts again, I will bump it up a notch to ‘faster’ to see how much of a difference it makes. Based on what I have read in this thread, bumping the shifting speed to the ‘fastest’ setting may be problematic, especially on shifts when both the chainring and cassette are changing. Have you experienced any issues like that or have you not set the shift speed to the ‘fastest’ setting?
Old 01-31-24, 08:11 AM
Kai Winters

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I have the dongle and when I started up eTube yesterday on my phone, I dug thru the menus and submenus and found where the shift speed can be changed.

My Di2 shift speed is currently set to Normal. When The outdoor riding season starts again, I will bump it up a notch to ‘faster’ to see how much of a difference it makes. Based on what I have read in this thread, bumping the shifting speed to the ‘fastest’ setting may be problematic, especially on shifts when both the chainring and cassette are changing. Have you experienced any issues like that or have you not set the shift speed to the ‘fastest’ setting?
I have not had any problems...but...I have mine set to fully manual shifting...I tried a variety of semi and fully auto settings and did not like it at all...I prefer the ability to shift into the gear I want when I want good or bad.
On the SL8 and Aethos builds I recently completed for customers I left the setting in 'normal' mode and used the default semi setting. I'd rather let the customers get used to the system before getting creative with its settings. As you found out it is relatively easy and almost completely straight forward to change and tweak the varied shifting modes.
Good luck and enjoy !
Old 01-31-24, 08:16 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
I have not had any problems...but...I have mine set to fully manual shifting...I tried a variety of semi and fully auto settings and did not like it at all...I prefer the ability to shift into the gear I want when I want good or bad.
On the SL8 and Aethos builds I recently completed for customers I left the setting in 'normal' mode and used the default semi setting. I'd rather let the customers get used to the system before getting creative with its settings. As you found out it is relatively easy and almost completely straight forward to change and tweak the varied shifting modes.
Good luck and enjoy !
Over the few years I have had the Di2 system, I have gone from Manual to Semi to fully Auto modes. Setting the shift speed to 'fastest' and reverting to Manual sounds like a good combo... Thanks!
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 01-31-24, 08:36 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Di2 batteries wear out - very fast if you charge them wrong.
What is the 'wrong' way to charge them?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-24, 09:01 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
When your friends with Di2 took their bikes to the shop, what shifting issues were they having?
I really don't remember, but I think front der related.

One guy, as I recall, couldn't shift at all and thinking it was a battery, went home. Turned out to be a faulty software upgrade. Or so he told me. Maybe he was afraid of getting dropped! Probably not.
Old 01-31-24, 06:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
I'm sure someone with more knowledge will confirm or deny this, but I don't believe Di2 allows for individual gear adjustment. It's just one adjustment for all 12 gears.

Having said that, I recently switched to Di2 and I've got to say I wouldn't readily switch back. In fact, I'm very pleased to have waved goodbye to Bowden cables, which seemed to be the main source of all the maintenance requirements on my bike. I found I needed to tweak the barrel adjuster as the weather got hotter or colder, and the rim brakes needed constant adjustment, too, as well as spreading black gunge everywhere. The hydraulic disc brakes work far better with no constant fiddling, and the Di2 just works perfectly. Literally the only maintenance I've had to do since getting my bike is to clean and lubricate the chain every couple of weeks. I've now done nearly 2,000 miles completely adjustment free.
I believe it was gear to gear you could adjust I am pretty sure, granted I had only had a chance to do it once and a lot has happened since then but I am pretty sure it was each gear could be micro adjusted.
Old 01-31-24, 06:38 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I believe it was gear to gear you could adjust I am pretty sure, granted I had only had a chance to do it once and a lot has happened since then but I am pretty sure it was each gear could be micro adjusted.
I'm am 99.999% certain that you cannot adjust each gear individually. I have Di2 Ultegra 12-sp and Di2 GRX and the single adjustment effects all gears just the same as a barrel adjuster on a mechanical system. The only reason I don't say 100% certain is there's always a chance I have overlooked something somewhere. But I asked about this exact issue when I first got Di2 last July, and while someone said it could be done, they never explained how to do it and many others chimed in, as I'm doing now, to say it cannot be done.

I believe people get confused that it can be done because you can select different gears while doing it. But I think this is only to shift it to different gears so you can check the how the common adjustment works in each gear. I know I worked with it enough to see that the adjustment affected all gears. But, the documentation for the app is pretty bad and there could be some option I have managed to overlook that enables this feature.

If someone finds this is possible, I'd sure like to know about it. But my experience is it is not needed. My shifting works perfectly. Though obviously, if you could adjust each gear, it might allow you to work around a bent derailleur hanger. I believe, since it is not needed for a properly functioning bike, they didn't bother putting it in the software where it would likely cause more problems then it corrected.
Old 01-31-24, 07:26 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
What is the 'wrong' way to charge them?
Plugged into a computer, for instance. Shimano will attempt to deny the warranty if you do that.
Likes For Kontact:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.