Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

This freehub: its size and max speed (cassette) range

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-20, 10:20 PM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

The following images are from a Shimano freehub.

Although "obvious", you take a stab at the dimensions (length) and max no. of speed (cassette). Note: it was installed on a FHM510 Deore hub.

Old 06-13-20, 11:32 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Can barely see anything in the pics. Looks like a shimano 8, 9, 10 speed freehub that will fit 11 speed mountain up to 46T. But it looks worn and needs to be replaced.
Old 06-14-20, 12:48 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
4cm is the distance I get measuring the stack height of my 9-speed cassette. Your's is shorter than that. I'd guess 7-speed or maybe 8 cogs of a 9-speed cassette.

Cheers
Old 06-14-20, 05:01 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded)

I purch'd from FHM-510 Deore wheel from Harris Cyclery in 2004.
Based on the Shimano datasheet for FHM-510, it is a 9-speed freehub.
It came with a std. 4.5mm spacer for use with 7-speed cassette. But this is TOO WIDE. I can't fit any 7-speed cassette onto this freehub (the cassette lockring won't catch the hub threads). I have tried three separate Shimano 7-speed cassettes -- same issue. I have to use skinnier spacers (a 0.5mm + 2mm).
Trouble is, with non-std. spacers, the free cassette cogs (two or three of seven) do not fully tighten down at 40nm lockring torque. This results in some boogering up of the freehub splines, over time.
Given this abnormality ... another question: will I be able to install an 8-speed onto the same freehub (for same wheel)?
Old 06-14-20, 05:04 AM
elcyc

BTW: ~37mm is what I measure (the expected std). Genuine Shimano part purch'd from Sheldon Brown. So I don't understand the non-conformity???

Last edited by elcyc; 06-14-20 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-14-20, 05:50 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
There are some really competent bike mechanics here on BF( plus a lot of us who are marginal but know what we know.) They don't seem to be in a hurry to respond to your most recent pleas for help. I wonder if your prior disparagement and snarky signature might have something to do with that?
Old 06-14-20, 09:17 AM
elcyc

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
There are some really competent bike mechanics here on BF( plus a lot of us who are marginal but know what we know.) They don't seem to be in a hurry to respond to your most recent pleas for help. I wonder if your prior disparagement and snarky signature might have something to do with that?
"Pleas" for help? Do I sound desperate, toots?
Yes, I'll live EASILY w/o this forum .... figure stuff out on my own ... use another forum ... use another username in BF. yada yada.
The thing is .... QUESTIONS and CONVERSATION are the bread-n-butter of Internet forums. Will BF live w/o those essential recipe ingredients? Well, suppose that's up to " really competent bike mechanics here on BF( plus a lot of us who are marginal but know what we know.) They don't seem to be in a hurry to respond ".
The sig line will remain. Maybe I'll make a t-shirt with that hallowed sentence.
Old 06-14-20, 10:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Just trying to help, you seem to need it. Maybe it's just as simple as begin posting all your questions in "Mechanics" instead of "General?" Anyway, hope someone can help you end up with a working bike!
Old 06-14-20, 01:56 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
You could just get a new one, that's probably the best plan

You clearly got your money's worth out of that already