Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brooks saddle completely changed all other touch points

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-20, 03:42 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts

Put a Brooks Pro Select on the touring rig and had to change stem, stem height, saddle fore/aft position, etc. Really affected everything with my fit. Had a Sella Italia Turbo saddle on it, a saddle I have used for decades. The Pro saddle changed everything. Good thing is the bike is dialed and the comfort level is the same as the Turbo saddle. An all day affair!
Old 11-09-20, 03:46 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Saddle height and fore/aft position I can understand. But why did changing your saddle drive you to change stem and bar height??
Old 11-09-20, 03:48 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The saddle sits higher on the rails. Did you lower the seatpost?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-09-20, 03:50 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I went through that with a Brooks B17 narrow. I think they have a higher profile than saddles such as Selle Italia. Unfortunately, with the Brooks, I never got a set up where I was comfortable for more than an hour. It now sits in one of my bike stuff drawers. I thought I had it sold a couple of times, but did not work out.
Old 11-09-20, 05:39 PM
TiHabanero

Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have ridden two other Pro saddles and one B17N so I am familiar with the fit and feel. For some reason everything changed with this one. The touring frame is significantly different from any other bike I have with much more relaxed frame angles, and I specifically designed it to properly support a Brooks saddle in the middle of the rails, not slammed fore or aft like most people run them on modern frames.
Yes, the post was dropped about 10mm, that was the etc. part of that sentence. Regardless of what changed, it is a perfect fit and simply comfortable like the Turbo saddle. I was just surprised when I did this because the C17 saddle I tried did not require these changes. Too bad it was too wide for my liking because that was very comfy! Fortunately the Pro Select came into my possession as NOS and was given to me by a friend. Is the B17N even offered any more?
Old 11-09-20, 09:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I finally figured out my B17 (which is comfortable, fits nicely, and has copper rivets) was a wee bit too wide. I put on a Berthoud Aspin, which is narrower in profile, and it did require some other adjustments (and I am still not convinced I have it right after almost a year).