Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something disc brakes need

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-23, 07:10 AM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts

Hi guys. I recently bought a bike with disc brakes. In my case, I have to remove the front wheel to get it in my car. The little plastic piece that I have to put in between the calipers when I do is a terrible solution IMHO. Surely, with all those brilliant engineers designing all this amazing technology these days, they could come up with a way to lock them when there is no disc inserted, no? I sure wish they would, even if it did add a couple of grams. It's just a matter of time before I loose that little plastic thing.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 08-09-23, 07:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
??? plastic? I'm thinking the things between the calipers are brake pads, which are not plastic. regardless, yeah you have to keep aye on a cpl things when putting the wheel back on ...
Old 08-09-23, 07:30 AM
Jklotz

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
??? plastic? I'm thinking the things between the calipers are brake pads, which are not plastic. regardless, yeah you have to keep aye on a cpl things when putting the wheel back on ...
No, I'm talking about the thing you have to put between the brake pads to keep the brakes from seizing if you accidentally hit the brake lever with no disc in there.
Likes For Jklotz:
Old 08-09-23, 07:56 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Another solution, at least for Shimano, are the yellow lever locks that many (all?) levers ship with; they keep you from shifting and from actuating the brakes. That's what I use when I travel with the bike. If you go down to your local bike shop and ask for some, they probably have dozens that they throw away every week. They are left and right specific, though, so be sure to get a pair. They may also be model-specific, I don't know.

Edit: these are what I'm talking about -

Last edited by WhyFi; 08-09-23 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-23, 08:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I've never used a pad spacer/block when transporting my bike and this has never been a problem. Just don't squeeze the brake lever with the wheel removed and it'll be fine.

Even if you do squeeze the brake lever for some reason, all you have to do is use a plastic tire lever to push the pads back into the caliper before re-inserting the wheel.

The problem with having some kind of lockout on the brakes is... what happens if you re-insert the wheel and go riding off and forget to unlock it?
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-09-23, 08:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,062 Times in 4,483 Posts
I didn't know this was a thing. I've been putting disc braked mtb's in the car since 2008 and never had a problem.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-09-23, 08:16 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
I got a couple of those thingies, in a bag, along with sundry hydraulic parts, with one of my bikes. I don't use them and if I did squeeze my pads together inadvertently, I'd just pry them apart with a tire lever or something, as mentioned above.
Old 08-09-23, 08:49 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, I think that it's mostly a non-issue, but I could see how it might be problematic as pads near end-of-life. When I travel with the bike, it's 1500 miles on the road, so I'll take the 30 seconds of popping on the lever locks as insurance.
Old 08-09-23, 08:49 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Old business cards are good for that purpose - fold one in half and shove it between the pads. If you lose one, just grab another from the old box of cards you never give out anymore.
Old 08-09-23, 08:57 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
What CAN happen is if the lever gets squeezed you can pop the pistons out of the calipers and it's just about impossible to put them back in.

and it's a mess

I know some "expert mechanics" will claim this is no problem but then you are faced with the prospect of re-bleeding the brakes.

so I use the blocks, mostly in the stand, to prevent such an occurrence

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 08-09-23, 10:02 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Just jam a piece of cardboard in there. You have some cardboard lying around in your trunk or truck, right? Improvise my man.
Old 08-09-23, 10:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Once you have a few bikes with disc brakes you soon accumulate a stock of the plastic spacers. I have at least half a dozen of them in my toolbox. Can’t say I lose them very easily. I just keep one in the car and one next to my direct drive trainer.
Old 08-09-23, 10:50 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
It's not a requirement. Just don't squeeze the lever.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-09-23, 11:03 AM
Jklotz

Originally Posted by msu2001la

The problem with having some kind of lockout on the brakes is... what happens if you re-insert the wheel and go riding off and forget to unlock it?
I think it would have to only be able to work if the disc was not between the calipers. In other words, only operable when the wheel was not on the bike.
Old 08-09-23, 12:45 PM
prj71

Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
What CAN happen is if the lever gets squeezed you can pop the pistons out of the calipers and it's just about impossible to put them back in.

and it's a mess

I know some "expert mechanics" will claim this is no problem but then you are faced with the prospect of re-bleeding the brakes.

/markp
The pads will hit each other so that wouldn't happen.

Like others said. It's not a thing.
Old 08-09-23, 12:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2586 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
My first gen Campy Ergo brifters had a button which when pushed would open the brakes to ease tire/wheel removal. They would stay locked open until the button was pushed again. Thought it was a cool feature which could be applicable here.

With my first disc bike (MTB) removing the bike from the back of the car, I inadvertently pressed the front brake lever which caused some scrambling to figure out how to move the pistons back. A screwdriver took care of it, but accidents do happen. Learned my lesson the hard way and am now super cautious.

Old 08-09-23, 01:29 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts

and it's a mess

/markp
How much lever squeezing are we talking about here?

With pads installed, I don’t see how the pistons would extend far enough to come out. This definitely can’t happen on my Shimano GRX brakes.

If I were boxing/bagging up a bike for a flight I’d probably use the blocks. I frequently load my bike on a fork mounted roof rack with the front wheel off, and don’t do anything- and have never had a problem even on multi-state drives.

I think this is a non-issue
Old 08-09-23, 01:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I’m on board, but how would you do it? Rim brakes put them in the caliper, which you could do with cable disks but maybe not hydraulic. Perhaps a latch or safety in the lever. It would not be automatic. The hydraulic system basically can’t “know” if the disc is present. Anything that actuated or sensed that would interfere with the free spinning of the wheel. I can imagine some kind of interlock with the axle but those components don’t normally talk to one another
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-09-23, 01:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Once you have a few bikes with disc brakes you soon accumulate a stock of the plastic spacers. I have at least half a dozen of them in my toolbox. Can’t say I lose them very easily. I just keep one in the car and one next to my direct drive trainer.
it would be nice if they were all the same, wouldn’t it?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-09-23, 02:20 PM
prj71

Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
How much lever squeezing are we talking about here?

With pads installed, I don’t see how the pistons would extend far enough to come out. This definitely can’t happen on my Shimano GRX brakes.

If I were boxing/bagging up a bike for a flight I’d probably use the blocks. I frequently load my bike on a fork mounted roof rack with the front wheel off, and don’t do anything- and have never had a problem even on multi-state drives.

I think this is a non-issue
7 bikes in my garage. Mix of Shimano and SRAM brakes. On every bike...At one time or another I've loaded them up with the front wheel off and have accidentally hit the brake lever. Pistons never popped out.

You are are right. It's a non-issue.
Old 08-09-23, 02:38 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
it would be nice if they were all the same, wouldn’t it?
I have several different types but they all work fine on any of my bikes. I have a mix of SRAM, Shimano road and mtb brakes. They are all basically just plastic wedges.
Old 08-09-23, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

and it's a mess

/markp
That’s only ever going to happen with the brake pads removed and several pumps of the lever. So not an issue for wheel off transport.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-09-23, 06:13 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
...The little plastic piece that I have to put in between the calipers when I do is a terrible solution IMHO...
I'm pretty much with the OP here. It's not terrible. It's just a nuisance we could do without. I put the plastic tab in when I remove the wheel just to prevent something bad from happening. It's recommended. The last time I traveled, I forgot to put the tab in. Nothing bad happened. But I'm still going to use the tab as a preventive measure. It's not that much trouble, but it is some trouble, and it's recommended to prevent more trouble.
Old 08-09-23, 06:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Old business cards are good for that purpose - fold one in half and shove it between the pads. If you lose one, just grab another from the old box of cards you never give out anymore.
Would new business cards work?
Old 08-09-23, 08:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Would new business cards work?
I got 250 business cards.

Then they changed one digit of the phone number. So I got 250 NEW business cards.

Now we've moved.

I'll be able to center my calipers for the rest of my natural life.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.