Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel bike not my fave, but its great!

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-23, 07:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts

It still feels weird to say it after a misspent youth mountainbiking, but facts is facts: I’m a roadie. When I say my gravel bike is not my favorite bike, it’s because it’s not a good road bike, and I love the crispness and accuracy of road bikes more than anything. But I’ll tell you what, I was bombing down a dirt road downhill the other day, probably around 30mph, when the surface went from hardpack to deep, loose, sandy gravel and I went from heading straight ahead to crazy fishtailing side-to-side. I thought I was gonna bite it; the front wheel was digging in and drifting and the rear wheel felt like it was millimeters from comin’ around. A cramp flared in my left calf as I contorted my body to stay on top of things, but I made it through without going down.

The whole time it was happening, all I could think about was that I’d be so dead if were on a road bike. I thanked my lucky stars for the good geometry— that very non-roadie, slack front end I often despise— which T-Lab built into the X3 and allowed me to navigate a hairy situation. I mean, when the road is dirt, the bike is immaculate, it’s just when I’m riding the pavement I can’t help but feel something is off…because I’m a damn roadie and so used to a very dialed-in feel on paved roads. I don’t do nearly as much gravel time as I do paved road, so I’m tarmac-tuned.

For years I rode a 4-season, UK road bike on dirt roads, but as I got more involved in gravel riding as a distinct discipline, I could feel the shortcomings of that bike, and so I got the gravel-specific rig. It struck me odd at first, but again, really shone on the dirt, and my near-death experience the other day was a reminder of why I got the bike in the first place. I also cleaned a stretch of sandy singletrack which took a lot of other riders off their bikes on that ride, too; I attribute my success to the bike, not any particular skills of my own.

So what’s this post about? I suppose it’s an appreciation of purposeful bike geometry. Or, maybe it’s about appreciating the difference between practice and intellect. I don’t really know…I was just thinking about how my bike saved my butt!

Last edited by chaadster; 09-09-23 at 07:15 AM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-09-23, 04:08 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 129 Posts
It’s all good, I like the random post, this is the internet so you’re pretty much free to let it fly.

I also love my road bike on paved roads. It is built perfectly for me to ride the roads in my area. When I’m on it I feel very connected to the road and in control. Probably similar feelings to yours. While my gravel bike can handle off-road, it’s more thrilling as I feel a little less in control, but oh the flow sensation!

What I like more is balance (not on the bike, but riding different bikes in different ways, tailored to where I live and ride).

- Dedicated road bike for 100% paved road rides (alone or with 1-2 others). Fast. Snappy. Long distance.
- Gravel bike (mine is more of a drop-bar mountain / bikepacking bike) for mixed surface, early morning rides when it’s dark and the wider tires and geo get me over things seem last minute, bikepacking, dabbling in the snow, on and on…

It’s the combination of the bikes; choosing one or the other depending on my mood, trail or road conditions, wind, season, alone or with others; that make me love both styles. One style only, never cut it for me.

Cheers
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 09-10-23, 11:46 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Ever since I got a proper road bike (two in fact: one aero and the other a lightweight climber), I've really honed my gravel bike for the terrain in my area which is mostly mountainous dirt trails with lots of climbing. I ditched my 2x setup and converted it to 1x and sized up on the tires. Even for travel, I much prefer bringing my gravel bike for ease of maintenance, flexibility and being more durable.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-10-23, 03:51 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
I have a gravel bike and a road bike, and find the gravel bike just as enjoyable to ride on paved roads as the road bike. It's not quite as nimble and responsive, but its more stable. If I'm riding with a group, I'll take the road bike because it's a little faster, but most of my rides are solo and I'm just as happy on pavement with my gravel bike as with my road bike.
Likes For Random11:
Old 09-10-23, 09:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
chaadster I agree. No way my gravel bike matches my road bike on pavement, even though the geometry difference between my bikes are probably less than yours.

Also, I love how all your components match. Takes commitment to ride what presumably is an anodized aluminum seat post instead of a CF model.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-11-23, 12:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
chaadster I agree. No way my gravel bike matches my road bike on pavement, even though the geometry difference between my bikes are probably less than yours.

Also, I love how all your components match. Takes commitment to ride what presumably is an anodized aluminum seat post instead of a CF model.
Thanks!

I probably am giving up on an opportunity for some compliance with the seatpost, but yeah, I was on the “matching set or die” train!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 09-11-23, 04:32 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 176 Posts
I look at dropped bar bike as sportscars:
a road bike is like a lowered track orientated sportscar with tight suspensions and low profile tyres; optimised for speed on smooth tarmac
a classic gravel bike is like a "fast road" sportscar with softer suspension and ticker tyres; perfect to move quickly on back road with degraded bumpy surfaces
a "monster cross" bike is like a "rally" sportscar ; go on loose surface flat oout at the limit of available grip.
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 09-12-23, 02:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
I don't want my gravel bike to be a road bike. I want it to be the in-between bike that rolls efficiently enough on the road that I don't feel like I'm pushing a pig, but is competent enough in the dirt that I push its limits in situations where a MTB is clearly the "better" choice. I like my gravel bike because I can ride combinations of road and dirt segments that I can't/won't do on any other bike, and it helps keep cycling fresh and exciting for me. When I want to go get my "roadie" on - maybe with one of the fast "racer-boy" group rides, or LSD miles - I'll hop on my road bike, and enjoy the pure efficiency of a high-end machine in its environment. When I need some serious dirt therapy, I'll ride my MTB. It's the variety of all of them that is the magic for me. I'm not a roadie, a MTB'er, or a gravel rider. I'm all of them. #rideallthebikes

Last edited by Eric F; 09-12-23 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 09-12-23, 02:51 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Have you ever put your road wheels (or at least tires) onto your gravel bike and gone for a road ride? If so, is it really that much worse? (I'm asking, because my gravel bike is my "all-road" bike, and as much as I would like to think it is the bike that holds me back, my guess is that it is my (declining) ability.)
Old 09-12-23, 04:55 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I love my gravel bike !

RLT9 rdo, I like it enough. That I sold my himod supersix di2.
At the moment I'm riding it with 40c Strada USH. It might be a little slower but its not worth my time to put 32c gp5000 on it.
Old 09-12-23, 05:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Have you ever put your road wheels (or at least tires) onto your gravel bike and gone for a road ride? If so, is it really that much worse? (I'm asking, because my gravel bike is my "all-road" bike, and as much as I would like to think it is the bike that holds me back, my guess is that it is my (declining) ability.)
I have not, but I have a buddy that does with his Salsa Warbird, and is still able to hang with the local fast rides. That said, he's a pretty strong rider.
Old 09-12-23, 06:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have not, but then I don't need to do so to know that my two bikes would perform very similarly if both were equipped with road wheels and the same tires. As my road bike is an endurance bike, the respective geometries of my road and gravel bikes are very similar; the latter mainly has about double the tire clearance and thus longer chain stays and a longer wheelbase.

I think that you would need very different frame geometries and aero considerations between the two bikes to realize a noticeable difference. But all bets are off if you have one of those new-fangled gravel bikes with moving suspension components.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-12-23, 06:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Metieval
I love my gravel bike !

RLT9 rdo, I like it enough. That I sold my himod supersix di2.
At the moment I'm riding it with 40c Strada USH. It might be a little slower but its not worth my time to put 32c gp5000 on it.
Try some 38mm (or 42mm if they fit) Rene Herse extra-lights. It is definitely was worth the time (and expense) IMO.
Old 09-12-23, 06:45 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
I have, and it's really not that different (my positions aren't that different either, so that helps).

In the bunch it's fine, I've even won sprints. Where I do notice it is on steeper climbs, as the gravel bike doesn't whip up quite as easily as my lighter, more responsive road bike. Then I notice it again on fast descents where I run out of gears!
Old 09-12-23, 07:38 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Try some 38mm (or 42mm if they fit) Rene Herse extra-lights. It is definitely was worth the time (and expense) IMO.

I'll weigh the pros and cons.

But like geometry and bike handling characteristics. There is so much more to tires than rolling resistance.
Old 09-12-23, 07:45 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I had the 40mm Clements before I went to RH, and doing so was a major improvement. (My 38mm RH tires are essentially the same width, so no geometry change.)
Old 09-13-23, 02:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

For me, it’s not so much the speed of the gravel bike that I’m talking about, but the feel and handling.

I am thinking about getting some aero wheels for the X3, but I run 35mm Herse Bon Jon Extralights most of the time anyway, so it’s not like I’m running a heavy knobby.