Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Small, but long, hands and fingers - need gloves that actually fit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 08:41 AM
scot
Going once, going twice..

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

My hands are very thin. About 19cm in circumference around my palm, but 20cm long. And a bit of a “wide” (in comparison) distance over to my thumb.

This means I have a choice of gloves that fit my finger width and palm, but cause pain when I’m riding on the hoods for a while as there isn’t enough give. Digs into the areas between my fingers or more especially my thumb. Or I go up a size and they are just too big everywhere as my fingers are also thin. Tried a bunch of regular brands and all end up the same. Latest was giro, medium is perfect on my palm but causes issues over an hour or so.

Anyone know any brands that tend towards what I’m working with here? I need to replace both my summer and winter gloves so all recommendations are welcome.
Old 12-30-23, 08:58 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
My Hands are similarly dimensioned, but not quite as thin... I would have a LG size based on finger & hand width, but really long from tip to wrist.
So for full finger gloves I generally have to take an XL, large is way too short and very uncomfortable around heel of hand and wrist.
Fingerless summer gloves, many tend to run small anyway, so an XL always seems to fit.
Don't have brands to recommend (except one).
For real winter, I suggest looking at XC Ski gloves, they tend to run narrower/tighter for each size and are meant to fit snug.
Also for in between winter (cold but not sub-freezing) Costco has some HEAD gloves which have just the right thickness for those temps, fit snug. They are OK for 'phone/capacitive touchscreen' use. They don;t have a palm grip surface, but with a 'foam' or firm rubber (mtb) type handlebar grip (as opposed to slick surface), I don;t really find a need for 'grip surface' at those temps...
Ride On
Yuri
EDIT: The asian made/sourced stuff always seems to run one size smaller anyway...
Old 12-30-23, 05:04 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Gore make some very stretchy gloves
Old 12-30-23, 07:23 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
mentioned in another thread by SoSmellyAir
the gloves I was referring to in post above: HEAD Men’s Ultrafit Touchscreen Running Gloves | Costco
...and, I guess I didn;t pay attention, but has small nubs on palm, for grip...
the post
https://www.bikeforums.net/23114961-post42.html
Ride On
Yuri
Old 12-31-23, 02:16 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Pearl Izumi are very snug compared to other common brands I've used, so might be worth a try. e.g., I'd call their large "skinny-large."
Old 01-01-24, 09:36 AM
returnoftheyeti

Bikes: Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Mechanix Gloves is all I wear when riding. No padding, but washable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

They last about a year - 14 months before they need to be replaced

Lots of different sizes, check their website for a size guide
Old 01-06-24, 04:33 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Mechanix Gloves is all I wear when riding. No padding, but washable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

They last about a year - 14 months before they need to be replaced

Lots of different sizes, check their website for a size guide
They seem very heavy duty for summer riding.

I’ve got Endura, Castelli, Gore and Sportful gloves that cost a lot less than $88 that I’m still using after 10 years (not exclusively because weather, washing while riding consecutive days, indoor vs outdoor etc means I probably have a dozen different pairs). Maybe they all only have 2 years left in them now I’ve done the maths 😁
Old 01-06-24, 04:58 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
The problem with glove fitment is that everyone has their way of what it means to have a glove that fits. 19x20cm isn't odd to me as I'm the same in proportion. I don't wear cycling specific gloves. In the summer I wear Glacier Glove Ascension Bay gloves. They're marketed for fishing and such, but they're unpadded synthetic clarion-like leather palm and a lycra back and cuff. When colder I wear Kinco leather gloves, the Buffalo unlined is my favorite for mild conditions. 318-P. They(I buy an XL) fit snugly and have long enough fingers, which is rare for to find for relatively thin, long hands. In the winter I wear the Kinco Axeman mitt. These are a more loose fit, which doesn't bother me in the least.

These may or may not work for you. Regardless, you don't need cycling marketed gloves to ride a bike.
Old 01-06-24, 06:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
scot have you tried gloves designed for women?

Although unisex sizing, my favorite gloves, MAAP Pro Race Mitts, use a fairly rare construction technique built around the unique Elastic Interface Technologies one-piece palm. The entire palm and padding is 3D molded, eliminating seams and affording stretch in the material, making them supremely comfortable. I’ve worn all kinds of gloves over the nearly 4 decades of my cycling life, and the way MAAP constructed these is a game changer. The transitions between finger openings is also seamless, so the extra space and stretch in those zones may be welcome to you as well.

A few other companies use the EIT palms as well, which by virtue of its characteristics may give you better fit. Check the EIT site for palm dimensions and fit, and here’s their site page for brands making gloves with their palms:
https://www.elasticinterface.com/cyc...ves/#countprod
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-06-24, 08:10 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I was going to suggest having an alterations place re-sew the side seams to narrow some fingerless gloves. but then the padding is likely in the wrong places. And only the outside seam is changeable, the thumb side has anatomical curved seams.

Glove liners
If you find fingerless gloves that fit correctly: I really like REI glove liners inside my fingerless gloves for temperatures in the 50s. The thin liner fabric is surprisingly effective and very stretchy. Liners do wear out fairly fast, but it's worth it.

I had some older thin full finger gloves where they dug into the gap at the base of my fingers. Ow, that's not workable at all. Hope you find something that fits.

Shell gloves
I used to have some Goretex shell gloves --just a thin windproof fabric. These are harder to find now. I got them oversized and used them with various glove liners or thin fleece gloves inside. If the day warmed up, just the shells worked well. These are easy to wash and to dry out too.

~~~~~~
I wear XL gloves. my hands are approx 19cm long, 23cm around. and a 9cm middle finger. Pearl Izumi Elite XL fits me quite well. I didn't like the fit of their less expensive gloves.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-06-24 at 08:17 AM.